An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Passage of Time

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 pm

Since we are military orders, I mean battles would be the most common cause of death. No one can expect to survive all fights. Wounds, even small ones, and the subsequent infections are also very dangerous if not treated immediately and with antibiotics. Even getting someone's belly blood on a light wound may give one a nasty infection (you know what is inside the intestines, right?).
Besides, at least for the Greeks, the statistics say that trampling and getting run over, not wounds, were the major cause of death in battle.
And all that blood, who knows what blood-borne diseases the enemies might have. The more people you kill, the more sick you can get. It's a straight road to the underworld we're in, I tell you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SimplePlan96
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 pm

saerossaeros wrote:
Since we are military orders, I mean battles would be the most common cause of death. No one can expect to survive all fights. Wounds, even small ones, and the subsequent infections are also very dangerous if not treated immediately and with antibiotics. Even getting someone's belly blood on a light wound may give one a nasty infection (you know what is inside the intestines, right?).
Besides, at least for the Greeks, the statistics say that trampling and getting run over, not wounds, were the major cause of death in battle.
And all that blood, who knows what blood-borne diseases the enemies might have. The more people you kill, the more sick you can get. It's a straight road to the underworld we're in, I tell you.

A stab or a slash from a weapon is more likely to kill you than all of that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:49 pm

It depends, completely. If you stab a plate-armoured knight with a sword, he's gonn laugh at you and crush your head. If a disease spreads to a knight from the enemies's blood, he will die no matter what.

And if I may comment on "a stab or a slash will kill an (even unarmoured( enemy surely", is laughable, since most stabs or slashes were not in 90% of the cases deadly, but you needed several of them, sometimes over ten to finally kill the enemy. It all depends, but usually one stab or slash won't kill the enemy unless you have somehow manage to cut his head off, which is to be honest extremely hard. Usually these stabs or slashes result in a wound, which may cause death through infection.

SimplePlan96
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:02 am

Marcus the Shadow Fighter wrote:
It depends, completely. If you stab a plate-armoured knight with a sword, he's gonn laugh at you and crush your head. If a disease spreads to a knight from the enemies's blood, he will die no matter what.

And if I may comment on "a stab or a slash will kill an (even unarmoured( enemy surely", is laughable, since most stabs or slashes were not in 90% of the cases deadly, but you needed several of them, sometimes over ten to finally kill the enemy. It all depends, but usually one stab or slash won't kill the enemy unless you have somehow manage to cut his head off, which is to be honest extremely hard. Usually these stabs or slashes result in a wound, which may cause death through infection.

But however, this is Pendor, and weapons here are gay Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SimplePlan96
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:03 am

Also , I plan to make my character dead b4 PoP4 xD
Just wait who suceeds him Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:05 am

affraid affraid affraid affraid

Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:21 am

I have read two different studies on that.

One says that Romans said (yeah) that a stab that goes deeper than 3 fingers anywhere above the knees is enough to incapacitate the enemy. Their gladii are designed to work this way, and they made fun of celtic swords that had to "cut".

The other is the one I mentioned before. Corpse analysis showed that among the Greeks soldiers usually died by wound in the thights (no armor there) or trampled (probably by having their thight muscles severed). Their armor, while way weaker than a steel plate, was efficient enough to avoid chest and head wounds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SimplePlan96
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:23 am

and the winner is........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurion1
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:14 am

greek soldiers died to mostly thigh wounds because of the location of the femoral artery which is nearly impossible to repair using the level of medicine they had available.

A slash would likely prove ineffective to a fully armored knight. A stab however would possibly pierce the armor and kill. Because our vital organs lie so close to the outer wall they can be easily reached and in the times we are modelling the ease with which even a slight wound to a vital organ would prove deadly.

Norman Longswords were truly designed to pierce rather than slash. In the age of knights it was all about armor penetration. The longsword is often described as an elegant weapon but it is anything but. it was heavy, the sides were anything but sharp, and it was meant more to break the bones than cut a body.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Passage of Time   

Back to top Go down

Passage of Time
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2