Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Griffon/Dragon Camp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

The Griffon/Dragon Camp Empty
PostSubject: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 10:29 am

((Note: This is here for organization's sake, I don't expect it to be used too much unless the Dawn knights would like to go wandering in, or more Griffon players arrive.))

In the day since arriving, much work had been accomplished.

The camp was divided into clear sections, five to be exact. First were the sleeping quarters for the soldiers. This section was by far the largest, and had expanded at the greatest rate throughout the day. In addition to the 200 knights that arrived initially, a further 100 riders arrived later in the day, with another 150 that could be spotted moving Northwest. The tends were rather large and simple, privacy wasn't a luxury afforded to the knights, and many of them slept in the same quarters.

Second came the training field, separated into two distinct section: Melee and Ranged. While the Griffons far outnumbered the Dragons, the two could be seen "competing" more with members of the other Order as opposed to their own. The melee matches in particular managed to draw crowds, as the number of archers in the force was rather limited. A match between the Griffon and Dragon commanders was much anticipated, but the gathered Griffons knew it wasn't likely, given Renault's injured leg.

Third was the "Mess hall" a stretch of roughly constructed tables where most of the knights ate their meals. Which were luxurious only by the standards of the starving. Still, the general focus was on conversation, not food. Anybody that stuck around long enough could tell that the main topic on everybody's lips was the siege. Not surprising, considering the reason that the men were there,

Fourth were the "stables". Naturally, an army comprised mostly of cavalry has a lot of horses to take care of. The horses were cared for meticulously, being too precious of a resource to waste. The knight-retainers in particular kept a good eye on their horses, perhaps in an attempt to impress their more experienced peers.

Finally, at the center of camp was the supplies storage, where knights came and went constantly. Some bringing necessities, like lumber and freshly killed game, while other were taking weapons to practice with, or feed for the horses.

All in all, three hundred men occupied the camp, more or less at the same time. Orders were not given to avoid the Dawn's camp, so some chose to venture over there of their own free will, primarily Griffon worshipers of Astraea. Others went over to the Dawn's current siege works, keeping mind not to stay too close lest the Dawn get suspicious about their intentions. Still others went out into the woods to hunt, or scout. Few, however, chose to remain still and wait for the coming battle.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Sir Aranor walked towards the camp, head held up high and with a grimace on his face.

He walked with a very fast pace, with Merzinas in tow.

He could not see where Renault and Boar went, and so went up to a random Griffin knight.

"Blessings of Astraea to you good knight, may you please tell me where your commander's tent is? Me and my colleague here are needed there."

Aranor smiled, in an effort to look a little more friendly. He used the memory of him punching Blaze for the task.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 3:12 pm

The knight, a man by the name of Arne, looked to the two. He could see they were both on very serious, but couldn't keep a grin off of his face. He had just won a pouch of coins in an archery contest, and was contemplating all of the drink and women he could buy. So, not sensing the mood at all, he answered cheerily;

"Command tent you say? Need a word with ol' one-leg? Big tent, almost exactly on the other side of camp from here. Big blue stripe where the opening is, can't miss it!"

With that the knight began walking away, an arrow casually nocked in his bow. It was obvious he was on patrol, although a camp of hundreds of knights and retainers didn't have too much fear of attack.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:31 am

"Thank you my good man, blessings of Astraea."

Sir Aranor walked to the tent, Merzinas still behind him.

He turned to see Merzinas's face wet with tears and a flush red.

Sir Aranor walked over to a nearby table and grabbed a piece of cloth.

"Take this, and clean your face, I want you to look presentable for the commander."

As he gave him the cloth, he put his hand on his shoulder.

"Everyone has a bad day Merzinas, I understand how you felt when you saw the Red Dawn's doing. When I was just a knight, I went on a patrol with 7 others. We chased an eventide knight to a D'Shar village. My commanding officer gave the order to burn it down, I killed him, but the village was burned anyway. I was saved from execution by Redsword. But I was expelled. These men are not religious like you and I, they follow not the orders of Gods, but of kings. And Mordred is a good king. But he is a cautious king, they want to help us, but need the orders from their king to do it. They don't need us badgering them. Why do you think the Dragons and Griffins are sending out so many patrols? They are trying to gather evidence so they can help us. Now clean yourself up, you have an apology to make."

After Merzinas finished cleaning his face of tears, they both walked into the tent.

Sir Aranor said "Commander, my squire has something to say."
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 1:06 am

"Take this, and clean your face, I want you to look presentable for the commander."

"Yes fath...master"

Merzinas slowly takes the cloth and rubs his face with it. When he is done he places it back on the table, and hesitantly draws back his hood, exposing the ragged, dark blonde hair. Pausing he starts breathing progressively slower, stopping with a final breath and holding it untill the grip in his chest eases.

After Merzinas finished cleaning his face of tears, they both walked into the tent.

Sir Aranor said "Commander, my squire has something to say."

Eyes to the floor, Merzinas freezes for what seems to him like an aeon, but then softly shuffles forward and collapses to his knees, arms hanging uselessly by his side, sleeves billowing down over his hands. It becomes apparant that the cloak he wore was several sizes to large for him. Underneath his right hand, he gripped the heated pommel of the sword. Then lifting his eyes to gaze around the room, filled with too many knights staring at him with interest. Then in a whisper:

"I spoke out of turn and out of temper ... knight commander Renualt

Name the duty to regain my swindled honour and respect"

Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 6:26 am

Renault showed no surprise as he looked up from his maps and saw Aranor and Merzinas enter the tent. He listened to what they had to say, his eyes and face betraying nothing, and when they had finished he made a single gesture, the raising of his index finger.

He was telling them to wait.

The commander then poured over his maps once more. They detailed the entire countryside west of Sarleon. Dozens of lines littered it. A couple from Ravenstern lands, a couple from Griffon lands, but dozens situated within Fierdsvain territory, likely patrol routes. He marked the map with two more such lines before looking up and addressing his guests for the first time.

"Grandmaster, knight."

Renault made his way around the table situated in the center of the tent, a slow process with his useless leg. Eventually, he stood in front of the kneeling Merzinas and spoke once more.

"Well, boy, I'd tell you to cut out your own kidney and eat it in front of us, but I fear the joke would not be appreciated in these circumstances. No, pick yourself off of the dirt, I'm sure you have duties of your own to be performing and this is not the time for rest."

Whether the last comment was a joke or not was given no indication by Renault himself. He did, however, turn to Address Aranor next.

"I would, however, like a word with you, Grandmaster Aranor. Alone, if you please."
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 7:27 am

Sir Aranor looked towards Merzinas

"That is all squire, I suggest you go to the training field, brush up on your skills."

Aranor walked over to the table.

"I'm all ears Renault."

Realizing the difficulty of the knight commander to walk, Aranor pulled his shield off his back.

"I know it's probably not the best, but would you like to use my shield as a support? I noticed the condition of your leg."
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 8:01 am

In return Renault gave a dismissive wave to Aranor and limped his way back over the the other side of the table. There were chairs situated periodically around the table. When he had reached his seat, he sat down only half way on, so that his useless leg would hang over the side, if this bothered him he did not show. He barked a command for the remaining knights to leave, a command which they readily followed.

He waited for Aranor to sit down before speaking.

"Grandmaster Aranor, Sir Darlion wished to bring up this matter after your business here was settled, but I feel this is as good a time as any. To be frank, the Eventide and Griffons are not on the best of terms, and to be able to move between the king's lands freely, we need to secure passage with them. Which, you know as well as we do that they are opportunists."

He paused for a moment, as if carefully choosing his words. Likely something Renault didn't do too often.

"With your permission, we would like to pass through Dawn occupied territory and station patrols at the Red Dawn occupied Windholm. With the port provided there, we would be able to ferry troops between our southern territories and the rest of the continent without risking harassment from the Eventide. However, we will not go there without the Dawn's permission to pass through their lands. If you desire something in return... Other than our help in this affair which we are already working on, that is understandable."
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 9:40 am

Aranor thought for a moment.

"Well commander, there are one thing that I would request.

As you know, Javiksholm is the fiefdom of Earl Aedin Redsword. Even though throughout my childhood he raised me, he also had a very good friendship with the leader of the Red Dawn, Bishop Gregory. With each passing hour I become more and more convinced that he has betrayed us. Knights roam the countryside taking villagers' supplies claiming to be under his orders, his nephew has also welcomed them into his home.

If it comes to the point, where he has become a traitor, and must be dealt as one. I would like for your master, Duke Darlion, to support me if we need to elect a new Earl for Javiksholm, or what do you politicians call it.. a bid for aristocracy. I ask that not for power, but because I feel that the Fierdsvain needs me. Barclay may have been where I became a man and was knighted, but the Fierdsvain is where I grew up, and the Fierdsvain is what gave me my heart. I fear that another noble may try to come and secure the power vacuum. I only care for the people.

Besides, we are about to attack the city, might as well be us to pay the repairs and man the walls."

Sir Aranor looks at Commander Renault, waiting for a response.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:33 am

Renault paused for a long moment, stroking his whitening beard. Finally though, just as it seemed he forgot that he was supposed to be answering a question, he spoke;

"Well, Grandmaster, I'm not as well versed in politics as I am in battle. So, I'll say this. If Redsword has betrayed Pendor, and if King Mordred does not name his own replacement, meaning that Darlion can vote in support of a candidate, I believe I can say with certainty that he will agree to what you ask. However..."

Renault paused once more, only this time it was mercifully shorter.

"If you put forward a candidate, and my Lord Darlion finds his loyalties to Mordred.... questionable, he will not be able to do as you ask, even if his honor obligates him to keep his end of the bargain. Would that one condition be acceptable?"
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 am

"Renault, this whole incident occurred due to a lord's questionable loyalties. The Dawn won't put forward a candidate that will make the situation possible once again."

Aranor looks at the map on the table.

"So that is the deal, the Dawn shall grant you access to our port and back you up should the Eventide attack, in return for the political backing of our chosen candidate should the Earl prove to be a traitor, if the candidate has proved his loyalty to our king."

Sir Aranor faces Renault and sticks out his hand, with a smile on his face.

"On those terms, we have a deal, care to shake on it?"
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 10:54 am

Renault didn't take the hand, he simply stroked his beard for a few more moments before speaking one more.

"Ah.. it's nothing so much as an alliance or anything like that we're after, although I can assure you if the Eventide step into Dawn lands without good reason we'll be there to stop the aggressors. Essentially, Aranor, we're simply asking for passage through your lands here. Assure us that what candidate you pick is loyal to the King, and you have yourself a deal then."

This time it was Renault who extended his hand for Aranor to shake on.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:33 am

Aranor lifted his hand up, withdrawing it for a second.

"But also note, that if I hear that you attacked the Eventide without good reason, the Dawn shall be there. The Dawn's goal is to maintain peace in this realm, not to involve itself in political intrigues and conspiracies."

He then grabbed Renault's hand and gave it a firm shake.

"Keep in mind that if you ever sought an alliance, the Dawn would be a worthy ally."

"Also, please inform the lord of Windholm that his city is occupied. I would myself, but I have no clue where he is."

Sir Aranor took a seat.

"Lucky Griffins, they get to take a vacation in sunny D'shar lands and I get to stay in this muddy village."

Sir Aranor almost dazed off, thinking of the good old adventuring days.

Catching himself, he asked Renault "May we continue where we left off?"

Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:37 am

"My fellow knights will begin to restore order to Windholm as soon as they are able. As for unwanted agression against the Eventide... Darlion is not a man who will not act without reason. At least, so he's been in all the time I've known him."

At Aranor's final remark Renault simply nodded before scanning over his maps once more. He spoke while his eyes drifted over the many lines and marks.

"Remind me again though.. What exactly was it we were speaking of?"
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:06 pm

"Do not worry about restoring order in Windholm, just let the lord know. The peasants need to know that there is a Dawn that they can rely on. The Dawn must take care of their own, most of our boys are Fierdsvain, so I'll hear no end of it if I don't send them. Besides, our order is bigger, I'm not saying that as an insult to the Griffons, it's just that we have more manpower and Denars to spare, and the Dawn needs to clean up it's own mess, I'm willing to claim responsibility for what happened."

"I was asking you and Boar questions, which you had answered. Then those two hooligans came. Then you left."

Sir Aranor stroked his goatee, thinking.

"Ah yes, I have some more questions. You said you had men scouring the countryside for evidence. What are their numbers and patrol routes? And who will they report their findings to? You, or the king? And then the king will send the order if you can help us correct?"
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Renault frowned, standing from his seat and limping to a pile of papers at the table while listening to Aranor speak. Finally, he found what he was looking for and read it in silence. When he had finished he looked back to Aranor.

"These are just general reports, Grandmaster, and Sir Darlion may know these numbers better than I, but I believe you are mistaken about that first point. Counting the militia and regulars stationed in our lands, we have hundreds of more men to spare at the moment, and if reports are accurate, judging by what I've seen here, we have almost twice as many knights currently. This is not, however, counting those belonging to the Red Dawn. If anything, the Griffons are the ones who can afford to deal with Windholm, while your men focus on securing your own holdings from these... renegades."

After he had finished with his reply, Renault limped over to where he had been before and took a seat once more.

"Now, as for the patrols, I think the lines on the map give a pretty good indication of where they are going. Smaller numbers of men are at the villages and hamlets closer to this camp, while larger number patrol those farther away, particularly around Windholm. All in all, we have two hundred men coming and going. Their reports go to me, where I then distribute them to Boar and Sir Darlion Who then gives his own assessment to King Mordred."
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 12:46 pm

Sir Aranor smirked

"I must say I'm shocked, to hear of such strength, and I guess I forgot that your master was a duke, and my orders own weakness, I have been a little too stressed out lately. Forgive me for underestimating your order strength, Commander, and thank you for the support. It is good to know that Pendor finally produced a king that actually cares, and an order of knights who care too. Thank you."

"Now, points of interest for the area."

Sir Aranor points to the area around Jayek on the map.

"I have a patrol around here, of 15 knights and 30 retainers, they are scouting out the area. Please tell your men that if you see them, to share with them the reports. Not to take them, merely to share them. Their leader is named Rineheart, they will be trying to dodge your men. Just call him by name and tell him that Aranor said it was ok."

Sir Aranor points to Ironoak on the map

"The Red Dawn here are numbered 24 knights and 12 squires. They are training militia from the populace. I have the actual reports in my tent if you wish to read them. Bloodsword apparently welcomed them in, the information came from Merzinas when he infiltrated it as a worker, where he interviewed the castle servants. We can safely say that the area is a problem, have your men watch out near it. I don't know how you wish to approach that area.

Sir Aranor points towards the Dawn-controlled Hill Fort.

"This is the Dawn's newly constructed hill fort. I have a garrison of men in there."

Sir Aranor points towards Mistmire, then Vezin

"I have Mistmire locked down with a patrol, and I know that the Dragons are patrolling near Vezin."

Sir Aranor crosses his arms.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Griffon/Dragon Camp   The Griffon/Dragon Camp Empty

Back to top Go down

The Griffon/Dragon Camp
Page 1 of 1