Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Vinland: Arctic Assault

Go down 
+8
Slopsen
MordKaiser87
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
dowpride
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Sir Aranor
Tubby McChubbles
Mordred
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

Vinland: Arctic Assault Empty
PostSubject: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 2:56 pm

So, if you like Vikings, beer, battle, raiding, adventure, mystery, suspense, and GREAT BIG EXPLOSIONS, then read on. If not, tough, im posting anyway.

We've been hard at work at Zatobo, with the past week being exceptionally busy (even balanced around having to host some family from Holland at the same time), but we have achieved oh so much. We had our first round of alpha testing, we've begun to polish stuff up in earnest now and even taken the first steps to licence some music and artwork to adorn our little offering.

More importantly for your guys however, we have just released our first gameplay video. Enjoy!

Click me for awesome video of awesome
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:12 pm

Oh god, so much physics.

The end sections look insane. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 pm

I like it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight
Sir Celdiur Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 2:28 am

Very nice! Looks hardcore! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dowpride
Knight
dowpride

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 4:31 pm

looks fun, but whats with the homicidal ice burgs?
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Nice so far Mordred

I hope this turns into something great
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:35 pm

What the Titanic should have had:
"ICEBERG! RIGHT AHEAD!"
"Iceberg!? Release the Vikings!"
*play Vinland gameplay video music*
*pewpew*
WikiArticle: "The RMS Titanic was a passenger liner that struck an iceberg in the north Atlantic Ocean on her maiden voyage from Southampton, England, to New York City, United States, and won. The engagement resulted in the destruction of two super-icebergs, 1,517 mini-icebergs, and 23 by-standing polar bears (bonus points). It is still considered one of the deadliest peacetime maritime incidents between ship and icebergs in modern history."

Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 6:59 pm

The music is kind of hilarious though, a little wooden boat shooting red pewpew's at icebergs with "Heart of Courage" - like song in the background, lol.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 12:05 pm

First open beta is out tomorrow! Will let you guys know when its released and where from if you want to have a free go Razz
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 1:24 am

Vinland: Arctic Assault - From Berlin to Beta!
Zatobo Games
Dev Blog 2nd March Vinland : Arctic Assault

Vinland: Arctic Assault Vaa_header

We are very happy to announce that the first Vinland: Arctic Assault open beta is now live! You can find it here :

It is the full game there except for some of the physical weapon models which have not yet been done, and a final secret level (so don't bother doing the Valhalla achievement for the time being).

Of course this being an open beta it serves both as a testing method but also to let you guys have a first hand experience of the game, to see how it all work and determine what fun there is to be had. We would be extremely thankful however if you did take the time to submit reports of any bugs you encounter, or even just suggest any changes that you feel could make the experience more enjoyable.

We do have an in-game bug tracker, which can be accessed in from the "feedback" button above the "save/load" tab on the campaign screen. We will check these reports very frequently, and act on them as quickly as we can. If you need discuss any issues further, or want to interact more directly with us then please do post below, or at our forums and we will do our best to get back to you swiftly.

We've compiled a quick list of things we would really appreciate some feedback on;

1. General thoughts and problems
2. Difficulty? Was it generally too easy or too hard? Any levels in particular, and if so what setup did you use?
3. Which ship / weapon / navigator would you consider your most / least favourite? Why?
4. Was anything over or underpowered? Why?
5. Was the mission overview / hints useful? How can they be improved?
6. Were the menus intuitive? How can they be improved? How about the campaign map?

So what about Berlin? Well most of our work is done over the internet, so last weekend we met up in Berlin for a proper sit-down meeting in order to discuss where our project was, and how we wanted to proceed. It was about as close to living the life of office drudgery as we're likely to come for the time being... that is if the management met in the local pub for their meeting but hey, we're entrepreneurs doing our bit for the local economy!

Anyway, there is a whole story behind that which we will save for next week. Ha! Teasers, you've got to love them.

Enjoy!

Find out more at Zatobo.com
Follow us on Facebook and @Zatobo on Twitter.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 2:46 am

1. OK. First off, what this game lacks is music. Hearing the same piece over and over again is boring. So if you can, please get some other tracks there too. Also, the ship's movement is boring and irritating. The water seems like a layer under the ship, it doesn't react to the ship's movements. I would want to see at least graphical improvement to this. I also saw a review of this game in Finland's biggest gaming magazine: Pelit(Games) when I find it, going to translate it quickly..

Moving on... music + boring water + boring fighting makes this game, in general, boring.

I really, really suggest that you make some puzzles/add some feel to the game OTHER than destroying Icebergs, I mean it can be related to it but in form of puzzles or something. Otherwise it's just Guitar Hero with a boat.

2. Difficulty wasn't hard. What I would suggest: since you have the icebergs coming at you, you have to use tactics to get through them. How about going to the next level, and scripting little puzzles in missions where you have to clear a certain area of icebergs or the sorts?
3. Default setup is my favourite Very Happy
4. The ship needs a little more power.
5. Helpful enough, and anything more would be TOO helpful. Keep the hints simple and easy to understand, and let the player discover the advanced stuff.
6. Menu was ok - nothing that

As this game currently stands, it is boring. Without new elements it will stay boring. That is my opinion.

(Sorry for harsh opinions Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:05 am

Marcus the Shadow Fighter wrote:
I also saw a review of this game in Finland's biggest gaming magazine: Pelit(Games) when I find it, going to translate it quickly..

Is there a link to this? I'm impressed if they have a review of it already!

Thanks for the rest of the feedback, pace (and boringness heh) is something we're constantly trying to improve. I'm afraid there won't be more music, we came to this game with a budget of £50 and we've just about hit that already. We tried to produce all we could ourselves but music was not one of those things, and licensing it is expensive.

Also can I ask how much of it did you play? Most of the levels do have objectives beyond destroy the ice.

Never be scared to voice a criticism of our work no matter how harsh, without it how can we hope to improve? Thanks again Marcus!
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:31 am

I played three levels, but it got boring quite fast.

Do you have puzzles? I, for one, would be very interested towards the game already if it would have an element of advanced tactics. It would also give the game more lifetime(imagine having your own gaming forums, everything, people discussing tactics for levels etc.)

And yeah, that budget is very unfortunate, if I could i'd donate you some. Unfortunately the review was only in the paper version of the magazine - it's not in the website(www.pelit.fi)

I remember the journalist gave Vinland an eigth out of ten. He predicted that it could become a small cult game, if executed properly. That's about what I remember - I'm searching for that magazine right now.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 3:46 am

I guess it was based on the video then, as we only released the beta last night, and it was only advertised today. Interesting.

Winter Witch and the Ice Bishop are puzzles... most of the blue missions actually. Winter Witch consists of destroying a series of crystals while the ice spawns increase dramatically, and each crystal kill makes the ship harder to control meaning that positioning becomes increasingly important. The Ice Bishop requires the destruction of a large ship that shoots ice at you, so you need to work out different angles of approach in order to destroy him.

Both of them should be available after the first green mission, "A New Spring". We're looking at how to spice the early levels up a little more now, I agree they need to be more interesting but they must remain accessible to everyone.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 4:02 am

Oh, and also, "A new spring" was a veeeeeeeery long mission. But yeah, I just played the green missions, i'll try the puzzles and come back at this thread with my thoughts soon.

EDIT -

Puzzles were very hard for me xD

I take back my words about those puzzles, there's enough of them, but I think it just needs more content! This can still be played through just in a few hours.

Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySat Mar 03, 2012 4:49 am

Bingo, that pretty much lines up with the general overview we are getting from others. They play A New Spring, find it boring, then start the next level and think "Great, more of the same boring gameplay" when it is actually very different. I've asked Abhuva to tighten up the gameplay on a New Spring, with the possibility of a complete overhaul of that level if we cannot make it interesting through tweaking.

As to content, I am less concerned about that, this game is going to be dead cheap so you get what you pay for. Not yet decided on a price but its likely to be under £5. Besides, there is always the possibility of adding further content in the future depending on how this base version does Smile

Thanks again Marcus, this is proving to be very helpful!
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:02 pm

Niflehiem was very hard and very frustrating, i got lost and got stuck behind chunks of 5hp losing ice, which i couldnt get through without getting killed. Also on "a new home" randomly switching back to those losing 5hp ince chunks was very unexpected and difficult, especially when the areas full of them and impossible to move around.

I'd say just put in the music when the player is near the end or at a battle, so its a bit more poignent. Wouldnt you be able to find some youtube artists willing to share some music with you? Im sure there are plenty who'd take any chance to get there music out there and heard on different platforms.

I personally held out till i kept getting killed on "new home" then i stopped, i had to turn off the music. All the bonus levels are fun ideas but most take the idea a bit too long, thats my main thoughts, making the levels shorter but more intense would make the game better to my mind. Heres some other ideas:

- Add some graphics to the sea and shoreline, of reefs and stuff. To stop it from getting bleak
- putt the odd person or seal or derelict ship to the ice to make the environment more interesting
- add extra items that are collected in the level by shooting it or ramming it
- a battle with another ship in a hurricane for a bonus level
- whirlpool!
- MEALSTROM!!!
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Dont take the brutal criticism to heart though, i can see a fun game here, but it needs a good scrub to shine as it has the potential to.

About the weapons, perhaps having them only gainable by completing the optional levels?
Those supercharged ice spawners where the best part i played, try adding some more of them and the wind mechanic, they where both fun, but the 5hp for shooting blocks need to be placed better in the levels so that there is always a way around them, also a texture on them like a skull and cross bone to signify that they are dangerous would be helpfull.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 am

Thanks for all the feedback DrSane! Like I said to Marcus, never be afraid to voice your opinion on this, or things will not be improved.

I think your primary issues were to do with the types of ice, well I am pleased to say that we are working on new models for the non-normal ice at the moment. Once this is done, the blue, dead (and possibly light ice) will be far easier to tell apart at a glance.

Niflheim (AKA Winter is Coming) is meant to be a labyrinth level where it is easy to get lost, but it should get more manageable once the new dead ice models are in.

A New Home is meant to be tough, it is after all the penultimate level. Our plan there was to basically introduce all the mechanics we have developed thus far and throw them at the player. Once the new models are done, this too should be more doable.

Regarding the music... this is a more serious issue which we are playing with at the moment. Quite honestly it is a situation that is unlikely to change, unlike the modding scene even new musicians want some kind of remuneration in exchange for their work, which we just cannot afford to do right now. Could this situation change post-release? Possibly, we do have the means to release updates and patches which could add this in later. It really depends on how well the game does and whether it is ultimately worth it.

Quote :
- Add some graphics to the sea and shoreline, of reefs and stuff. To stop it from getting bleak
- putt the odd person or seal or derelict ship to the ice to make the environment more interesting
We have also started to investigate changing up the scenery a little (you should have seen it when it was -just- ice), but going beyond what we have now is a fairly low priority; if we get time, we will do it.

Quote :
- add extra items that are collected in the level by shooting it or ramming it
We do have collectables planned, which once you get a certain number will boost the base stats of your ships. It isn't implemented yet, but should be by release. As to shooting stuff to unlock more stuff... just wait to see what we do with the Valhalla achievement when it is properly implemented Wink

Quote :
- a battle with another ship in a hurricane for a bonus level
- whirlpool!
- MEALSTROM!!!
We shall see. If we decide to release further levels after release, then these are the types of mechanics we will play with.

Thanks again DrSane! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment on this.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:39 pm

then perhaps instead, play the music near the end of the level or at a climactic part.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 am

New patch!

Beside some fixing of small bugs there is also quite some new content to explore:
Patchlog V0.003 Open Beta

- Weapons have proper models now
- Icebergs have updated models
- Figurehead / Dragons - collectables mechanic included
- fixed various small bugs

The Figurhead collectables mechanic was the last big missing feature. Let me introduce you to it:

"Viking ships are known to have had a figurehead at the prow of their ship, normally in the shape of a dragon or another mythical creature. These were not just for decoration but to protect the crew from the vicious “fetches”, or spirits of the sea. It is said that the gods smile down on those who collect any figurines that have been lost at sea, as they have effectively put the souls of the departed sailors to rest. Collect any yellow figureheads that you find, each level has a certain number clearly displayed.
For each 3 that you find, the gods will boost the health, armour and speed of your vessel by 2% in gratitude. Find all 30, and you may find the Wanderer himself watching over you."

The link to the Open Beta is still the same:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54846149/WebPlayer.html

Incase you dont trust dropbox links, we can also offer you now a link at wooglie.com, a site dedicated to Unity Games: http://www.wooglie.com/games/Action/Vinland%3A-Arctic-Assault

We are happy about every kind of comment, feedback and of course bug-report.

Have fun playing...
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 4:00 pm

the endings to northern lights and a few other levels could use one of those docks so people wont turn around thinking its a dead end.

playing with the "mouse hidden during game" causes the mouse to dissapear from the main menu as well. U can get rid of it by unchecking the option, entering a game then leaving and it returns

one of the figure heads on niflehiem dont trigure when i pass over it

Okay, the new graphics make it look much nicer, collectables are cool but i didnt obsess over collecting them. I finished the game this time and played round with ragnorok, gotta say, zooming around in the really fast boat with short bow and ragnorok whilst on the last level is insanely fun, super instense version of that would be awesome. Also for ice escape, with the avalanch, its too slow to be a threat, at least i find it is. I like all the tiny little additions like the death animation and the bows, really makes a nice feeling.

I used most of the weapons, however i never used hammer of moljner or whatever, because it recharged FAR to slowly for it to be any good in getting, so my suggestion is buff its cooldown.

Also a recharge timer would really help with ragnarok and the smaller AOE so people can time better, part from that all good, but, srsly, MEALSTROM
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Excellent stuff DrSane, thanks!

I'll pass on the docks at the end of level thing, its something I had considered also but had not yet done.

Mouse hidden bug should be fixed

Nifleheim bug should be fixed

Raganarok is a LOT of fun as a weapon, so is Mjolnir, try it with one of the rate of fire or range increase Navigators, it is then rather overpowered.

We've added a proper arena level which is a more intense fight of increasingly powerful waves, its also a way of getting some more figurines. Arena is accessible from the beginning, but you simply won't survive beyond a few rounds at the start of the game.

Anyways, we've now taken the beta down so we can concentrate on polishing it up to the hilt, and hopefully release it within a week or two!
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 2:50 am

Just played halfway through the game, so far enjoying it!

I enjoyed the puzzles on Winter's Witch - I had only 13 health left with the Drakkar Boat in the end. I suggest that you don't make the ship bounce so uncontrollably around, since often I just watched as the main crystal launched my ship swooping towards a group of icebers, and bye bye 20 health. Even more with the squishier boats!

Also tried beating "The Bishop" - sub mission, but he got me with those bergs :-(

So then I tested the "Northern Lights" - mission, and survived it after quite an exhausting battle with those blue icebergs(no more hitpoints please, two is enough of a challenge), and decided to try "The Bishop" again - this time with the Ragnar Cocktails. So, what I did was this: rush up over to the Bishop's boat, hug it with mine and begin throwing the cocktails at him while all the time firing my longbow. My well-planned assault worked, and after a while I saw the Bishop's ship sink to the bottom of the ocean, but the Bishop himself jumped on a large iceberg from the sinking forward of the ship, making a jeering noise as he did so. Last I saw him, he grinned mockingly at me and then disappeared with this iceberg of his. It was cold as hell out there, and yet he didn't seem effected by it - how strange...

This was of today's playing session Smile

I really, really enjoy this game so far. I like some of the new animations, and I love the combat so far. Only thing that would need some improvement for now, I think, would still be the physics and the puzzles.

Additional notes:

I have to say, I loved the throwing axe as a weapon! It adds so much variety! It's so cool to watch one axe clear a cluttered area so easily - I just got like 6 bergs in one strike. I'd like to see more of these unique regular weapons, for example piercing weapons that go through icebergs? Say, a ballista? It's such a nice addition though, I love it. I'd like more of that, too, if possible in the future :-)

Oh, and by the way Mordred, I could introduce this game to a group of people I'm gaming with currently, and I think that they could be of help in betatesting this game if they are interested! I know them all, and they are mature and would surely want to help with this if presented the chance. What do you think, Mordred?

Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 1:19 am

Thanks for the feedback Marcus, much more positive than last time Very Happy

Winter Witch is probably one of the hardest levels in the game, so well done for finishing it. The bounce increases the more crystals you destroy and the nearer to the big crystal you are. The ship type also makes a difference, the Knarr being the largest ship doesnt get shifted around as much as the others.

The Ice Bishop is probably one of the best levels heh, and definitely my favourite villain thus far! At the moment the Winter Witch doesn't actually feature in the books, but the Bishop does (and he is a nasty piece of work). For myself I like using the Throwing Hammers against the Bishop, together with a Ballista. Use the Ballista to snipe him from range, then come alongside and give him a few broadsides of Hammers.

Don't worry, the Colossal Blue Icebergs are the toughest and biggest obstacle in the game, and that is the only level on which they appear. We have tried to make one special item/objective for each mission, and they are it for that level.

Very interesting that you like the axe, it is probably my least favourite, and we even considered removing it as it was a little stale compared to the others. Glad that we left it now! We did try to implement piercing weapons, but they proved to be beyond our ability to implement, and the Ballista already exists; it is a heavy weapon (3rd slot) on the Knarr. It was the next best thing for the piercing, in that it explodes on impact and has a huge range.

Sure, please do spread the word! We are mostly done with testing now, we are just waiting for the business aspects to fall into place before we release while getting those last few stubborn bugs ironed out.

Also, Vinland 2.

Spoiler:

I'll say no more yet, the rest of the team would shoot me for showing you that, but I like you guys, so please lets keep it between us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Arctic Assault   Vinland: Arctic Assault Empty

Back to top Go down

Vinland: Arctic Assault
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next