Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Siege: General Events

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

The Siege: General Events Empty
PostSubject: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyMon May 14, 2012 1:16 am

Placeholder.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 3:07 am

The sun hid as the senior officers of the Dawn gathered in Koningur hall, Astraea no longer wished to view the carnage that had happened.

Sir Aranor was standing opposite to the ducal chair, in a contemplative stance.

He turned, and saw his officers standing quiet.

"If only Ragnbjorg was still alive." Ragnbjorg was Aedins son, he had died in the unification wars. That was back when Aedin was still the man that he used to know. Sane, honorable, a friend.

"Damn you Herlin.. Corrupting half of my order wasn't enough... You had to take my uncle too?" He thought bitterly to himself.

"Aedin Redsword is dead. We are alive. While we may have won the siege, there is still the matter of what the hell to do with this damned city."

"I have been informed by survivors of the Ironoak party that his nephew Vigdus, next in line for this ducal seat, did allow the Red Dawn to burn his citizens. I will not allow the subjects of this city to be subjected to yet another reign of terror. We will have to find suitable candidates."

"The snake Tenorio was able to escape. The Griffons did not send any messengers, I am told that they are actually just occupying Windholm, currying favor from the citizens there as the Red Dawn flew away. The king shall be informed of their ineptitude."

"It appears Duke Redsword was killed fleeing the city, resisting capture with a sword in his hand. That is what we shall report to the land. We will write missives to all the lords, and the king of the incident of what happened here."

He looks to Fabien

"Gather the pages you were able to salvage in the chapterhouse."

He looks to Henry Weatherford

"Go to the chapel and look for the records of heresy. There is bond to be some record of all the people they burned."

He looks to Wolfarmin

"Take a group of maybe 100 squires and conduct a poll in plains clothes. Feel out the general opinion of us, the duke, the bishop, and the red dawn. Consider that the first part of your penance. Be sure to bring Merzinas here to, I wish to speak with him."

He looks to Blaze

"Gather the wyverns and berserkers, be sure to go to the slums and make sure that there is no one taking advantage of the situation."

At that point Arceon and Varis enter

"Varis!" Aranor exclaimed with a smile

"Did you hear? That squire took down 2 caravels, and now we have prisoners. Set your third company to inquisiting them. I want to know everything. I would also like you to take a personal hand in questioning the Bishop. Also, get some statements from the servants and find out what happened. Ill also note that one knight captain that was leading the torch bearers, be sure to get the minutes of his plan from him."

Aranor nodded to Arceon

"Drillmaster. My thanks for making sure that the body of Aedin Redsword was taken care of. I want you to go out and catalogue all the
Damage that occurred in the city."

As he was thinking, one of the knights just thought out loud

"All the lords are useless grandmaster. Just sit in the chair yourself. Aedin abandoned his city, vigdus wouldn't come help his uncle, and your the only one that actually gave a damn about the citizens."

The grandmaster sighed.

"Its the only alternative. Wolf, be sure to spread some seeds of that idea, and see how the citizens react. Don't say that it's going to happen, just feel out the general reaction to that idea."

He looked to all the minor officers

"Our order is depleted. Go gather all the squires that you feel proved themselves, and bring them to be knighted."

He looked to Sir Roderick

"Go get Aedin's daughter and wife. They are sure to be mourning in the chapel now."

"Oh, and is there anywhere in city I could make a speech from?"
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyMon Dec 17, 2012 4:46 am

Merzinas returns with Wolfarmin, his grim face haggard. He has cast aside his tunic, washed red with blood, and donned a clean pure white cloak, masking the grime of his armour and the butchery in his heart. The time with the Wolf had changed him, the cruelty and pitilessness, were but a facet of true mercy that Merzinas now saw.

By his fortune, he had been on the walls and missed the cacophony of fire that engulfed half of Javiksholm. On his march back through the city, with his trail of prisoners, the haunting figure of death stalked the blackened streets. Ruined buildings stood beside stone carcases, half glimpsed figures he spied through windows. There mouths locked in perpetual screams, the stench of smoke reeking through the air. He looked back at the pitiful train of prisoners and knew they where an empty victory. His heart burned, burned with guilt and loss and immeasurable sadness. He looked up to the temple of Astraea as he passed, the smoke had blackened the marble to a corrupt shade, and down her left cheek there was a single line of white, a tear drop in the ocean. He saw now what justice the dawn created, it could not undo evil, nor safeguard good, but it would serve justice.

Merzinas walks to Aranor and speaks softly in a hollow and broken voice that only Vilaren may hear:

"I know what the dawns justice is. We strike at the evil, with such a brutality that they may feel but a portion of the misery they inflict. To burn the red dawn is mercy, they deserve so much less than that. Slaves they will become, in a fashion that will become so distinct that all who look upon a sufferer of that fashion will know the nature of the being behind it. Monsters they will become, their figure and mortal body so mutilated that it reflects the mind that inhabits it. Repenitent they will become, eternally repaying those they have wronged.

we must cut off their sword hand, lest they strike once more at the innocent
we must tear out their favoured eye, lest they search for their revenge
we must pluck out their tounge, lest they preach their lies
we must break their toes, lest they forget the path they have trod
we must brand the sun to their face, lest they forget the mark of their judgment
we must burn out their hair, lest they cover their shame
we must chain their legs, lest they flee once more from their duty
we must geld their future, lest monsters are spawned from their evil
we must bind them to places of hardship, that they may repay the people they have abused
we must protect them, that the world will see our wrath unto evil
we must bring them, so that wherever we go, all will know the fate of the repenitent"
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 12:41 am

Sir Aranor turned to the squire.

"Merzinas. Kneel."
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 2:31 am

In a trance Merzinas sinks exhausted to the floor
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 2:47 am

Sir Aranor draws his sword

"Merzinas. Although you have barely been with us for several weeks, it is clear to me that you were sent by Astraea. Your deeds at this battle will never be forgotten. They tell me that you took command of our soldiers in the South from Sir Andre, when he was injured, and you repelled Barclese soldiers from the walls. They tell me that you single-handedly sunk two caravels, destroying effectively half of the remnants of those Red cowards. They tell me, that you were able to produce ships to capture them, the prisoners now held below waiting to be questioned."

"You have proven yourself a servant of Astraea."

He holds the sword up to his face

"Merzinas, Wanderer of Erstinat, do you pledge to fight injustice wherever it may hide, to guard those who can't guard themselves, to help bring about the return of Astraea, our Goddess? Would you stand with us, the Knights of the Dawn, and join our ranks? Would you bear our sigil, and protect Astraea and the holy church?"

Sir Aranor looks expectantly at the squire
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 4:28 am

"Yes grandmaster"
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:13 am

He lowers his sword and places it on both of Merzinas's shoulders

"I name you Sir Merzinas of the Dawn. You are no more a wanderer. Stand amongst us, Sir Knight!"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 10:38 am

The documents from the chapterhouse turn out to be just irrelevant left overs. The Red Dawn took or burnt all the rest of its official documents. The chapel, however, holds more interesting contents. The bishop's assistants kept accurate notes of the burnings within Javiksholm and even attached what general reports they got from the forces at Windholm and Ironoak. In total 562 people were burned in and around Javiksholm. The notes on Ironoak and Windholm are less accurate but speak of roughly 100 burnings at Windholm and double the number at Ironoak.

The populace seems to be profoundly thankful to the Dawn for saving them and their homes. Many still remember how the duke allowed the red knights to continue with their burnings and advanced old laws in their favour. The tales of the duke's attempted flight also circulate and nourish doubts about his dedication to protecting his subjects. Hardly anyone is sad or angry about the loss and some even display a grim smile after drinking some mugs of ale. The names of Herlin and the Red Dawn are spat upon and little but torrents of hatred can be heard when talking to people about them.
The peasantry does not seem to have any problems with the idea of Aranor as the new ruler, but they care little for titles and more whether they are being murdered or fed.
Among the merchants and patricians, including the urban nobility, people are more reserved. They are not antipathetic to the Dawn, but fear that openly seizing the title might cause further fighting with Bloodsword or traditionalist nobles and the family of the late duke's wife.
Especially faithful Astraeans, mostly knights and clergy, seem to be mostly reluctant about the idea, pointing out that a knight of the Dawn may hold no property or titles for himself.

Blaze and his men keep order in the streets and discourage any attempts at looting. The surviving members of the city watch also report back for duty.

The prisoners from the ships can barely tell anything. Most of them are simple soldiers and seamen, half of them from Barclay. They report that the ships were sent and commanded by relatives of Tenorio when they received word of the Dawn's split.
After an ... intensive interrogation by men of the third company the captured knight-captain spits out that he received the orders to burn parts of the city and barricade streets from Tenorio and Herlin directly. He does not know whether the duke had been informed or not, but the duke had given the Red Dawn plenty of rope in organising the defense of the city anyway. Herlin himself exercices iron silence mixed with defiance.

The northern and southern districts are badly damaged by the widespread fires, but the worst has been prevented. People are huddling together in the remaining intact houses or have moved to relatives or inns in other parts of the city.

The knight-captains send a list to Aranor with the names of 34 squires that they deem worthy of promotion due to their deeds in battle.

On the marketplace the men find a large podium which seems well apt to hold a speech on.

The wife and daughter are being led into the great hall, weeping quietly into their handkerchiefs, just after Merzinas's knighting has been finished.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 6:24 am

Sir Aranor didn't notice the ladies yet. He called together all his officers and listened to their reports carefully. He couldn't believe the number. 562 burnings. In such a short time..

He looked to his knights.

"I will make a speech to the city tomorrow at noon. Make sure the squires spread word that I will be there. Send word to the Venerable Judicator and inform him of the situation. Gather the seamen together, and don't interrogate them any further. As for the Red Dawn.. separate the knights and squires. We will be conducting trials for the knights tomorrow. Herlin is to be kept in isolation. Varis, if you can get anything out of him, you have tonight. Only tonight."

"Send out messengers to the Castellan at Dawnbreak. Get him to deliver the extra supplies we have stocked up. We should have a baggage train fit to properly clothe and feed 800 men for a month, alongside some housing supplies. "

"Have the squires knighted publicly, on the lakeside near this keep, in full view of the nobles in the wealthy district. Have it late morning, when the nobility will be riding out to see the speech."

"Contact the merchant's guild and ask them to send representatives here."

It was at that point that Sir Aranor noticed the weeping ladies being led up the hall.

Sir Aranor felt a stab at his heart, as he saw his foster-mother and baby sister weeping. He looked to the officers as he was walking.

"Excuse us"

the officers left

"Mother! Sister!"

He could feel the tears coming. It was at this point that Sir Aranor let the shock hit him. The man who had raised him since he was a baby was dead, killed. All the hate, all the resentment Aranor felt towards Aedin melted. He remembered his childhood. Aedin was his father. Lady Jadeth was his mother. Lady Miar was his baby sister.

"Mother! Sister!" he cried out once again
"I had feared for both of you. I will thank Astraea all my life that the Red Dawn did not burn you as well."

He got on one knee and looked to both of them

"Father is dead. But I swear to you, it was not on my order. He apparently engaged my knights in the Northern districts. I was on the other side of the city, leading the efforts against the fires. I'm... I'm sorry. I.. I didn't know. By the time I had heard he had ridden out, and I got my men across the bridge, it was too late."

he got up again and tried to compose himself

"What happened? What has been going on in this city for the last month? Someone told me that nearly 600 people have been burned.. Please. Tell me everything."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 9:34 am

It took the two noble ladies some time to control their sobbing and regain their composure to talk.

I ... I don't know. We had to stay at the castle once word got around that you were marching on the city. One day mother urged father to stop the burnings and he went into a wild rage, yelling about how we were sent by his enemies to stop the workings of Astraea, and then he confined us to the eastern tower. But two days later he would release us, try to soothe mother and keep the red bishop away that was always accusing us of witchcraft. Yet, when mother tried to voice her concerns about the burnings once more he stormed away in rage again, sent us back to the tower only to return the next day with gifts from the market and a smile on his face. That way it went on until we resigned to talk to him about it and simply remained in our chambers. I had ... I had hoped he would be nice again once the red knights were gone, but now - now he is dead.

She broke into another wave of sobs and buried her face in her mother's gown. The old lady put an arm around her daughter and turned to Aranor, visibly torn between memories of Aranor's childhood with them and fear of the conqueror standing before her.

What have you come for?, she asked. To save us from the red devils or to take away our city? You have obviosly already taken possession of the castle, but as my late husbands wife it is my task to officially yield the city to you. I, Jadeth Redsword, yield the city and castle of Javiksholm to you, Sir Aranor of the Dawn. Now do as you please.

Miar had obviously not expected such from her mother. Mum, what will become of us now? she asked in a frightened tone.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyThu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm

"Mimi"

Aranor said without thought, that was the nickname he had for her when they were younger. The tears of Miar touched him.

He looked to Jadeth, and shook his head.

"You are not prisoners, and this castle is not mine. The city is not mine to take as well."

He looks to lady Miar

"Nothing will happen to you, mi- Lady Miar. Not while this knight draws breath. Nothing will happen to our mother either. You are both going to stay here, in Javiksholm."

He looks once more to lady Jadeth

"My lady, You and your daughter will be under the protection of the Dawn. The true Dawn. I am not as well-versed in inheritance law as I could be, but is there a way that Miar could perhaps inherit the Duchy? I know of Valkyries owning estates and villages, perhaps we could do the same for Miar?"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyFri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 pm

The two ladies looked visibly relieved.

There is indeed that possibility, Jadeth continued, and although we are still mourning we must not loose time lest any of the surrounding lords should lodge a claim or force my daughter to marry him. I hope we can rely on the strength of your order to discourage such attempts?

We also must see to a dignified funeral for my late husband. The mention obviously brought back sadness and she struggled with the tears for a moment before going on. He might have been blinded by the red bishop's rantings, but he has been a good and loving husband and father for decades and I do not want his memory spoiled by the recent events.

Finally..., she paused for a moment, unsure how to voice her thoughts. We will need all we have left in our treasury to rebuild the city, so ... she trailed off again.
Will you demand reparations? she finally blurted out.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 3:02 pm

Sir Aranor nodded over and over

"My order will not allow any of the vultures to come swooping in. The Order of the Dawn will make sure Lady Miar secures her father's throne. We came to serve justice, and we will see this to the end."

"As for the funeral.. I have influence in Valonbray. I know that he resented Valonbray being taken from him, and that it was the home of his ancestors. If you wish.. I could have his body transported to Valonbray to have a proper funeral next to.. Ragnbjorg. In the tomb of his ancestors."

He then nodded one more time

"Mother, the safety of this city's citizens, and the relief to see you and Miar alive and well is enough 'reparation' for me. In fact, I am sure that before this siege you had heard of the Dawn building up their treasury correct? The Dawn are prepared to repair the city. It was our former brothers that caused the damage, and I think it will be most beneficial for both of us if we repair it. Use the treasury you have with you to purchase anything you need to ensure Miar's safe rise to power."

Sir Aranor looked to his foster mother once more though

"However, I must ask a question. I am making a speech tomorrow to the citizens of this city, but, I wish to know what will be the Dawn's future here?"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm

The smiles of the two ladies grew with every nod. Finally Miar said:

Oh, I hope your order will stay here permanently and you will be one of my advisors, brother.

[Results: Miar will be crowned Duchess of Javiksholm. Relation with the Dawn: +1 (conqueror or saviour) +1 (support Miar's claim or not) +1 (proper funeral or shame) + 2 (reparations or no demands or active help) = 5. Influence level Courtier (45) granted.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptySat Jan 12, 2013 11:45 pm

Sir Aranor saluted respectively, placing his fist over his chest

"I will of course accept Lady Miar. You do me honor and I will serve you faithfully as an advisor."

"At the speech tomorrow, I will announce the Dawn's support of your claim. Perhaps you would like to come along? The people might appreciate seeing your presence."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 am

Yes, that would be splendid, Miar replied.

We can announce her ascension to the ducal throne and the funeral right away, her mother added. Would you care to include that in your speech?
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyWed Jan 30, 2013 12:27 pm

"Of course ma'am. I will get right to it."

"I believe you both should get back to the chapel, I will make preparations for the speech."

As the women went away, Sir Aranor looked to one of knights, some tears in his eyes, with a flash of anger.

"Lead me to the prisoners."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:11 am

The guards led Aranor down into the dungeons. The gaoler took his keys from a hook on the wall and opened the creaking lock of the closest cell. Inside Gregory Herlin was bound on ankles and wrists, sitting in one of the corners, as far away from the door as his chains allowed for. When he saw the light coming from the door he squinted, then spat on the floor when he recognised Aranor and huddled together in his dark corner defiantly, chains clinking.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Sir Aranor was quiet, waving away the guards.

"Oh how far you have fallen. Heretic."

"How does it feel, knowing that you were never supported by your Goddess? The knights of the 'true' Dawn have been shattered. You know, a squire actually destroyed some of the Barclese ships with the catapults. The rest were intercepted by the Valonbray and Dawn fleets as they left, and the rest of the order that didn't perish here was destroyed."

"I killed Sir Lambert. His zealotry got the better of him, and when he saw me he lost it. His and the other bodies of the Red Dawn are being burned right now. The only ones left of your pathetic heresy are in the cells around you."

"You will be burned at the stake tomorrow for your crimes."

He got close to Gregory and lifted him off the ground with his hands

"I would strangle you myself, if it wasn't for the vows I swore. The monks say that the fire purifies the soul, cleansing the evil from it, making it pure."

He threw him to the ground with a violent shove

"It's a waste of time on you. You have no soul to cleanse, demon."

He walked away and shut the cell door. It was only then that Aranor felt a twange of remorse

"Astraea forgive me.. for I have sinned..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Siege: General Events   The Siege: General Events Empty

Back to top Go down

The Siege: General Events
Page 1 of 1