An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

King Mordred

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:26 am

This can be considered the "canon" for Prophesy of Pendor 4.

The Early Years

Little is known of Mordred’s early history. There are some rumours that he is the son of an outlawed noble in Barclay, others that he is actually a Mettenheim soldier who made it good, while others yet say he was the humble child of a poacher – it is likely however that even he does not know.

The earliest documented adventure of the young Mordred are of his small company fighting a group of brigands near Avendor, it is said that he saved a merchant’s daughter by the name of “Leslie” there, though shortly after he fades from the picture. He later reappears in the lands of the Empire fighting off a group of Snake Cult warriors together with the exiled knight Sir Roland, details which can be found in the annuls of the Dawn. In another tale which began to be recounted in the taverns of the Empire he is found facing down a group of Snake Cultists back to back with the renowned man of the Mettenheim Forlorn Hope, Frederick.

It turns out that this band of Cultists were a part of the massive Snake Cult army which had been terrorising the Empire and who had harrying the armies of Marius Imperator, and it is because of this that the great Emperor took notice of this young man and took him under his wing. It is said that Mordred even saved the Emperor’s life on one occasion, whatever the truth it seems that he took a shine to the young warrior and promised him a position as a squire to Lord Titus.

A Citizen of the Empire

Lord Titus was a poor man, much down on his luck but he used to be a strong and skilled knight and saw to Mordred’s training, both in war but also leadership and ethics. In order to put the training to use, Lord Titus sent Mordred out on patrol in order to cleanse the Snake Cult corruption from his lands, in this the young squire was extremely successful and attracted the attention of several more leading figures of the land to his side who would later be collectively known as “The Companions”. The Companions not only included Leslie, Sir Roland and Frederick, but also the enigmatic Sir Jocelyn, the exiled queen of Veccavia, Boadice, the infamous vigilante Sigismund Sinclair, the humble Diev, and the courtesan Sara the Fox.

Under Lord Titus, Mordred continued to make his name throughout the lands eventually leading the armies that the old knight could not. Finally the old man was forced to his death bed, ill health having plagued him throughout his final years, the disease that crept through his body was unknown and devastating. All the openings on his body began to leak blood, and his skin took on a plaid yellow tone and began to ooze pus from the pores. A visiting doctor refused to treat the man citing the Red Plague, and after this diagnosis all of Lord Titus’s servants, even his son refused to see the old man. By his side however remained his stalwart squire, who stood vigil during his last hours. No-one knows exactly what was said but Mordred emerged from the chamber a grim and drawn shadow of his former self, one who clearly bore a heavy burden on his shoulders. Due to his son having abandoned him at this hour of most need, Lord Titus had changed his will to make Mordred his legal heir, and he inherited the properties of the dead lord.

Subsequently Mordred became a sworn vassal of Marius Imperator and was present in the long war against Sarleon. During this campaign the Empire was allied with the D’Shar and Mordred struck up a friendship with the D’Shar ambassador to the Empire, Rafik Bey and the two were often seen fighting together on the battlefield. His closest friends knew that Mordred was not comfortable in his role as a knight of the Empire, and he seemed to be growing increasingly restless, his demeanour becoming increasingly grim and subject to bursts of anger or despair. His power among the Empire nevertheless had grown dramatically and even Marius was beginning to consider him a threat to his position. Before events could come to a head, Mordred met with the Emperor and renounced his oath returning all lands and titles, and the Emperor concerned with making an enemy out of the influential knight let him go.

The Noldor

The men of Mordred’s army faded away and he became a questing knight-errant and so together with The Companions roamed Pendor in search of answers to an unknown questions. During this time, Mordred completely left the political landscape and we are once again left with few written documents, however the many stories and tales of his valour and bravery are recited nightly in the inns throughout Pendor and it was now that the man became a popular legend among the common folk of Pendor, and the first whispering of the prophesy began to follow him.

Despite all he did for the people however, the darker nature of the future king began to manifest and he created the Order of the Ebony Gauntlet after a prolonged campaign in the woods of Laria against the Noldor people. Mordred continued in this role for several years, and his previous exploits began to fade from popular memory.

Among the Noldor two warlords rose and struggled against each other and the nation verged on full civil war, Aeldiran wanted the power of humanity crushed once and for all and had begun a campaign of terror while his rival, Ithilrandir believed that the future of the world lay now in the lands of mankind as prescribed in the prophesy. Unknowingly it was against Aeldriran that Mordred’s efforts had been concentrated, and stuck between his rival Ithilrandir and the Ebony Gauntlets he was eventually overwhelmed at the battle of Shieldstorm. After the fight was done, and before the humans could unleash their hatred on Ithilrandir’s forces, a mysterious figure met with Mordred and his words changed the future forever.

No-one knows what was said or done, but Mordred withdrew his army from the forests around Laria much to the consternation of the Ebony Gauntlets and once more vanished from public record. He was to burst back on the scene in spectacular fashion a few weeks later however, his old friend Rafik Bey had risen up against the ineffectual Kadan Bahadur Khan, and Mordred is known to have been present at the siege of Highpass Fortress on the side of the defenders. Present at the struggle was a new member of The Companions, a strange man known only as “Lethaldiran”. There are many speculations that he is in fact a Noldor warrior sent by Ithilrandir as overt support for the events which were to follow.

Here, at the walls of Highpass Fortress the entire army of the D’Shar was routed and Rafik prepared to announce a new rebel kingdom, only the flag raised over the battlements was not that of Emir Xerxes as many anticipated but that of the old Kingdom of Pendor.

Hope Falters

The victory at Highpass burnt brightly for a time, recruits hoping to see the prophesy fulfilled flocked to the castle eager to sign up with the rising armies of Pendor, their recruiters travelling far and wide promising unity and peace in the realm torn apart by continual war. The reality however was far darker. Although the D’Shar had been soundly beaten, Kadan Bahadur Khan knew the threat of rogue lords loose in his realm, and harried the fledgling nation continually. To make matters worse, the newly crowned king vanished soon after his coronation, leaving behind even the Companions without a word. Days later Frederick, ever the most faithful of the Companions also left.

The remaining Companions tried to keep things together, fighting bitter skirmishes in a bid to keep the flickering flame of Pendor burning but the noose was tightening and even the most devoted began to despair. Lethaldiran was the next to leave, fading away into the night just like when he first arrived. Next was Sigismund with Sara, then Sir Jocelyn and Boadice. Finally there was only Sir Roland and Leslie remaining, the walls of Highpass long since encircled by the massed forces of the D’Shar waiting like vultures for the garrison to give out. In the distance, from the hot D’Shar steppe came a distant dust cloud and the defenders prepared their surrender in the face of this additional threat. Before the gates were opened however, there was a great roar and an army from Mettenheim fell on the D’Shar forces led by the stalwart Frederick.

It later transpired that King Mordred had ordered Frederick to leave soon after he did, and head for Janos. On his arrival there, he was greeted by a consortium of merchants who had been ordered to procure a massive shipment of food supplies bound for Mettenheim, and Frederick was to supervise their safe arrival to Aysenburg, and thus successfully complete the mission he had set out for many years before. In gratitude, the Count dispatched an army with Frederick to assist their new belaboured ally. Bolstered by this new garrison, the lands around High Pass rapidly gained the reputation of being one of the most secure regions of Pendor, and it experienced unprecedented growth, the Bahadur Khan turned his attention elsewhere as he was now too busy with wars against the Empire and Sarleon to concern himself over one lost castle in his hinterland.

Snakes in the Grass

What precisely happened to the King during these events is harder to place; there are conflicting reports of his actions during this time. Some scholars from the Ebony Gauntlets claim that he rejoined their Order and resumed his battle against the Noldor, and it is defiantly known that multiple members of the elder race disappeared during this time. Meanwhile, the historians of the Empire claim that he rejoined the armies of Marius, though there are no army records to back this up. There is even a rumour that the false hero Boris the Raven was actually Mordred fighting more directly to fulfil the prophesy, and this is given further credence by Boris’s fall from grace at the same time that King Mordred returned to the political landscape several years later.

Most likely however is the troubling account given by the medics of the Radiant Cross, of a proven outbreak of the Red Plague, a story that was successfully quashed until the discovery of some journals left behind in their hospital. These texts speak of a “gaunt man of average height, with greasy blond hair and sunken eyes, wrapped in bandages that covered yellowed pustules in the armpits and around the groin that wept blood rather than pus. Despite this condition his gaze could still pierce to the soul belying incredible inner strength, else this man would surely today be dead.”

The reason now for Mordred’s increasing frustration and desperation become clear. If he had indeed contracted the Red Plague, the bane of his ancestors, then the future of Pendor was put in serious doubt. Unfortunately Mordred was disappointed in his search with the Radiant Cross, who seemed more concerned with stopping him spreading the disease by any means necessary, than they were with finding the cure or even the cause. A determination which would cause Emperor Marius to take a far more personal interest and involvement in the policy of the Radiant Cross, though this is a story for another time.

Mordred tried to keep away from large populations following the despairing prognosis, and it was on the road that he met an unlikely character; Sir Alistair, a Knight of the Eventide dispatched to seek down Sir Roland. Mordred kept his association with the Paladin of the Dawn quiet, however his own quest piqued the interest of the knight. Mordred had since determined that the answer lay now with the Snake Cult, the party he held responsible for the spread of the Red Plague hundreds of years ago. Sir Alistair ever interested in acquiring forbidden knowledge to better understand the mysteries of Astraea readily agreed to help, and secured the aid of a Snake Priestess known as Alyssa.

In order to investigate this properly, he would have to join the Cult.

Last edited by Mordred on Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:34 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:37 am

Highpass Fortress --> I approve! Excellent writing by the way. I take it that you're going to add more since the "character in Siege of Ravenstern" (a companion) wasn't mentioned?

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:48 am

So I guess Ithilrandir is now the dominant figure among the Noldor Elder Council? Is Aeldarian still alive? Did he change his position afterwards? What is Caelvanirs position towards humanity? It would be nice to know about the stance the three great houses take, as we (the Silvermist) are supposedly responsible for the diplomatic relations to the Noldor.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:50 am

Pravenstern wrote:
Highpass Fortress --> I approve! Excellent writing by the way. I take it that you're going to add more since the "character in Siege of Ravenstern" (a companion) wasn't mentioned?

Ninja edit Razz
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:52 am

Mordred wrote:
Pravenstern wrote:

Ninja edit Razz
Of course, no spoilers yet.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:57 am

@ Iskar, some of those questions I had to refer to SD, so I will reply once I have his thoughts on the situation.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:43 am

I am really glad you decided to flesh out Mordred as the archetype of the new king of Pendor. I think the Rp will benefit tremendously from this. Really enjoyed the story so far. Looking forward to more.

I am very interested in the Noldor questions as well *g*.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Curanthir
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:39 am

Really ingenious plan to have both the KotEG and Silvermists in the story. Try to kill Noldor, then become their best friend :3 I assume you just released all the prisoners you had been saving up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:47 am

Actually in my game I never made peace with them, that I had to add in order to make it fit with the victory conditions. In all my years I never actually completed a game of Pendor, though I have several where I own 3/4 of the map but once you hit that level of power it quickly gets tedious.

Likewise I have never made it to the Elecrai, nor have I ever owned a rune weapon (though a rune weapon, or at least something similar will be introduced later in this story).
Back to top Go down
Curanthir
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:35 am

Mordred wrote:
Actually in my game I never made peace with them, that I had to add in order to make it fit with the victory conditions. In all my years I never actually completed a game of Pendor, though I have several where I own 3/4 of the map but once you hit that level of power it quickly gets tedious.

Likewise I have never made it to the Elecrai, nor have I ever owned a rune weapon (though a rune weapon, or at least something similar will be introduced later in this story).
Me too. The 3/4 conquering and getting bored part.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:04 am

I found out a way of keeping myself entertained.

I edited the files to have the High Elves ( a new faction i created, lol, it actually worked after all the blood and sweat) which have different very powerful elven units.

They appear near the noldor, aiding them when the world is about to fall to my hands. And they can capture cities.

Oh, and running around powning people with a banhammer... yes, that can be made.

Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:26 am

Marcus the Shadow Fighter wrote:
And they can capture cities.

How did you manage that?
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 am

Well he did say he added a faction in addition to the Noldor so I figure it works about like any old invasion event. Like the Romans from Sword of Damocles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:20 am

Me too. I've changed the stats and weapon proficiencies of almost all units. My heroes-adventurers have all at 550, the twilight knights at 800, both with 20-40 agility. And all horses have 30-40 HP.

Now I'm never bored fighting them. They are fast. You really need a good mouse to dodge and parry them all. And the best part is that you get scared before every battle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 am

I know how to make new factions and new units its just the capturing cities bit that interests me, as that requires a new major faction which I believe is tough to do (though technically possible).
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:03 am

By the looks of Brytenwalda or 1257AD it can't be to terribly difficult.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:10 am

Oh, yeah, politically Brytenwalka was quite a mess, though it produced some nice situations like alliances of about five kingdoms each caught in a bloody war that spread all over the isles... it had an automatism that let you declare war on anyone declaring war on your allies. When the war broke out the "recent messages" looked like Europe 1914 only with Russia, Germany, Austria, France, Britain etc replaced by Pengwern, Cantware, East Engla, South Seaxe, Lindisware, Dalriatha and so on.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:12 am

Iskar wrote:
So I guess Ithilrandir is now the dominant figure among the Noldor Elder Council?
No, Avaldain remains the head of the Council, though Ithilrandir does speak with more influence now however, and more Noldor listen to his advice regarding the humans, especially now that Pendor is united and the king has shown he wants to pursue more friendly relations with their people.

Iskar wrote:
Is Aeldarian still alive? Did he change his position afterwards?
It is hard to kill a Noldor, doubly so a Noldor Lord. He is alive, he is angry but for the moment Ithilrandir speaks with more authority at the council.

Afraid not much is known about the other houses, those two are the only ones that you deal with. Although relations have mellowed somewhat, particularly with House Ithilrandir, many of the Noldor still mistrust the humans, they have a long lifespan and even longer memories.

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Who is Avaldain? Never heard of him in the game...

Is it possible for us to make the acquaintance of house Caelvanir, too? How many houses are there in total? As only Ithilrandir, Aeldarian and Caelvanir appeared in the game I assumed these would be the only houses.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:15 am

He's the lead Noldor Razz More seriously though, do a search for Avaldain here : http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,54010.0.html

For the moment I want to keep it to just House Ithilrandir and Aeldarian (keep it simple), SD may enlarge on the other houses (of which there are 6 or so) in his book but they do not matter to the events of PoP3 / 4. Essentially though, the two Noldor houses interested in human politics are the two above, the others simply do not care, although you may be the king of Pendor, in their eyes you are still just a human.

If Caelvanir are in the game, then I am afraid that I know nothing about them and I am reluctant tp include them in any capacity, as SD is very careful about how I write the Noldor stuff in case it impinges on his planned novel.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:14 pm

Mordred have you read my story on the noldor in the fan fiction topic? I have about 6 or 7 different houses Razz
And I actuallly found out about avaldain from the strategy guide, from then my character is always named "Aranor Avaldain"

Knight

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Kewl! Will be keeping tabs on your bio my king, would be great to see the great epic that is your ascension to the throne. Plus the bards are gonna have to know where to start jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dowpride
Knight

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:27 am

awesome start to the bio mordred, really enjoying it. i must say, highpass castle is a great startin position. as it was your first castle, does that mean that it is very loyal to the griffons and is heavily defended?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:02 am

dowpride wrote:
awesome start to the bio mordred, really enjoying it. i must say, highpass castle is a great startin position. as it was your first castle, does that mean that it is very loyal to the griffons and is heavily defended?
It is in Griffon sphere of influence (check the Throne Room).

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 am

Highpass castle is highly valued by the Griffons as it is the origin point for the entire kingdom. It would not be a stretch to say that the Griffons have a chapter house there.

Whether we actually do or not is up to Mordred though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: King Mordred   

Back to top Go down

King Mordred
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next