Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Elder Scrolls Thread

Go down 
+9
Slopsen
Sir Aranor
Sir Arceon
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
dowpride
Iskar
Saeros
Mordred
Isabel Tenorio
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 12:38 am

The Dwemer did not relocate. The Dwemer became the Golden Skin of Numidium... they just failed to fully activate their new god. MK finally confirmed that one. Edit: Though to be fair, the destruction of Numidium is fairly vague. Maybe they are capable of making a return at some point... the Love-Letter has an interesting take of cyclical time anyway.

The grand scheme of the Nerevarine Prophecy wasn't really about saving Dagoth Ur, it was about releasing the Heart of Lorkhan. Azura wanted that to avenge the insult of the Tribunal, not to 'save Morrowind' at all. Dagoth Ur simply had to be a part of it, the second side of the coin. The Sharmat vs the Hortator. The destruction of Morrowind wasn't part of the prophecy, it was Vivec's doing. Or rather it was the people of Morrowind's fault, as they stopped loving Vivec. The one thing that is sure of all the dieties in TES: None are terribly altruistic. The Heart of Lorkhan being freed from Kagrenac's enchantments is the significant part of the Nerevarine Prophecy, which weakened the foundations of Mundas. Red Mountain lost its Stone, and so ceased to be a functioning Tower. The Towers and the Stones anchor Mundus, there were 8 at one point I believe, and we've since lost several.

If you haven't read the Love-Letter from the 5th Era, you really should. tongue

http://www.imperial-library.info/content/loveletter-fifth-era-true-purpose-tamriel
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:22 am

'twas a joke Very Happy

I did read it, influence by you. Seemed like ramblings of a drunken dev (so are many myths, though). Only made sense after you explained it.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:25 am

Though some diiiiid relocate towards Hammerfel. They just couldn't seem to break their mental link to their heretical brethen, it seems. Wink
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:40 am

Read about it yesterday, "Rourkan" or "Rhorkan" clan or something. I have the impression that Dwemer were always finding ways to run away from something: digging ever deeper underground, going up with airships, moving to Hammerfel ("Ooo, a hellish desert! Let's go there! No one will look for us there!").

EDIT: Without saying that many preferred to live under a volcano in Morrowind, on in cold Skyrim.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:14 am

Just realising I have never played any RPG as a mage. Time to rectify that.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:19 am

Lol, I played every RPG as a mage Wink
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:13 am

Remembering why I never play mage now. Just took about 50 fireballs to kill someone.
Back to top Go down
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Grandmaster
Marcus the Shadow Fighter

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:42 am

I mostly play the rogue, but mages are a good option too. Warriors for the brawn, of course.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:50 am

Must admit I am a Warrior / Mage / Rogue / Archer in Skyrim at the moment, though I have taken absolutely no armour perks to make it a little more difficult.

I tend to play "Armoured nukers", a class I invented for myself that seems to have taken off on MMO's lately. Basically a ranged damage dealer with survivability. They do tend to lose out of the versatility of the more dedicated classes however.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 5:21 am

If you want to play an Elder Scrolls game as a mage... it's Morrowind, no contest.

As much as I liked the quick-access to spells that Oblivion added, the versatility and pure potential of spell-making and enchantment in Morrowind is beyond comparison. Enchantment was probably the single best gameplay mechanic in Morrowind compared to the others. Not only did Soulgems name the creature/NPC inside, but you could make practically anything! The unofficial achievement to be welcomed into the ranks of great enchanters is to make a permanent summon scamp item.

Oh yeah... and the spell making was all-around superior too. tongue
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:09 am

Yeah I love playing rouge its alot of fun, until you get journeyman stealth then being a rouge is almost totally worthless. One thing about Oblivion enchanting though, is that when you get 100% chameleon, it completely breaks the game.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:49 am

Yeah, I was totally excited when I first managed to get to 100% chameleon, but after five minutes of unmolested killing of guards the excitement wore off and I never used it again.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:07 am

But that 5 minute period of rewarding yourself for such a clever exploit is worth it!

If you haven't read it, check out the 2920 series. Most people seem to like it just as much as the original (uncensored) Real Barenziah series. Best of all: Real Tsaesci.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:23 am

Cool thanks I might get to reading them. One thing I hate about The Elder Scrolls ranged, like what Mordred was talking about, is their so under powered. Its not worth it to be a ranged character when you can go in there with a 2hander and kick but. At least being a mage has its rewards.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 am

Give Morrowind a try. Wink Ranged weapons are pretty much in line with melee in general effectiveness. It also has a large variety of throwing weapons to go with bows and crossbows. It takes a while to get your stat high enough to really score a hit every time, even if visually you've hit. It does a lot more with invisible rolls than the successors.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:27 am

Cool thanks, would you say Morrowind is better than Skyrim? Because from what I here its a great game.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:30 am

Judging each game within their time, absolutely. Morrowind still had its share of flaws that Skyrim (or Oblivion) have corrected, but I still give credit to Morrowind. The atmosphere of Morrowind is unrivaled in any other videogame I've played or seen. The modding community is even stronger than the later games, which helps a LOT.

If it weren't for the graphic differences, I would say that even by today's standards Morrowind is a better game. I'm probably just biased because I love the story and setting of Morrowind. Oblivion and Skyrim are fantastic adventure games to me though.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:31 am

I played both to the end, and I would say Morrowind is better.

Download some texture mods if the old looks annoy you. Get also all chapters of the Tamriel Rebuilt mod.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:32 am

So your saying that if Morrowind was made now, with better graphics and corrected flaws, it would be the best Elder Scrolls game.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:34 am

So Saeros, any predictions for...

Spoiler:
Tribunal Spoilers.

@Arceon. There is no doubt, to me. Morrowind's combat system leaves a little to be desired compared to the base of Skyrim, but the other features more than make up for it. I don't consider extensive voice work to be a factor of one game being better than the other. (Morrowind is mostly text.)
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 am

I'm not. It had the luck of being made by people who cared more about lore than about pleasing customers, which might not be the case now. Mind you that the gaming community of 2002 was not as today's.

EDIT:
Quote :
Morrowind is mostly text.

A lot of texts and long dialogues. The difference between Morrowind and Skyrim dialogues is similar to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. As Mordred's editor (or sometihng) said: people today don't want to read texts while playing.

Last edited by Saeros on Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 am

Morrowind was still a commercial success, big time. I agree though. It was the perfect storm really.

They'd had cult success with Daggerfall, and had really learned things with Battlespire and Redguard, so they had the resources and knowledge for Morrowind. Plus they still had a real passion for it. Then most of the old guard left, and Todd Howard was left with the reigns alone. >:[

He's a brilliant man from a pure money perspective, but he lacks the kind of passion for the product that the great game developers have.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 am

Yeah i heard, no voice acting doesn't faze me either. Look at Legend of Zelda (Ahhh sweet memories) it is all text and its still crazy popular.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am

One thing to caution you of: There is no hand-holding in Morrowind.

It still surprises me sometimes, since so few games are made as open and unforgiving as Morrowind today. Things don't scale to your level, so if you wander into Daedric ruins, expect to die. You're also more or less dropped with only a tiny bit of direction, so you have to just explore things on your own. I spent hours trying to find Gnsis or some such, to join the Legion, and days trying to become a vampire.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:43 am

Ok thanks for the heads up. I hate being a vampire it is quite annoying and not worth it. At least in Oblivion anyways.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Elder Scrolls Thread   Elder Scrolls Thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Elder Scrolls Thread
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next