Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just talking

Go down 
+28
Sir Thash Kor
Alaric Reiner
MordKaiser87
tobberman
Sir Arceon
dowpride
Hetzau
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Psychozoa
MitchyMatt
Aldric of Marleons
Ser Varys
Kamos
DiabloDude
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
Pravenstern
Sir Aranor
Datedsandwich
Tubby McChubbles
Laisha
Mordred
Sir Haegon
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Isabel Tenorio
Curanthir
Saeros
Slopsen
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

Just talking - Page 25 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:20 am

Just wait for Wulfric and you'll want to change that statement. He was based on Nero (with a touch of US' 1960's pragmatism).

Seriously, for me these Pendorian lords are all crazy. Maturity is a rare trait among them.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 am

Tubby, you can't be King. That role is mine!

I have the sword to cut off that 5 cm lordly and claim the throne as King Haegon I the Flying Griffon.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:00 am

Well, in keeping with the Macbeth theme, one of us will be king first, then the other. Seeing as you are murdering (or emasculating) Mordred, I guess I'm Macduff! (Or Banquo Sad)
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 am

Tubby McChubbles wrote:
Well, in keeping with the Macbeth theme, one of us will be king first, then the other. Seeing as you are murdering (or emasculating) Mordred, I guess I'm Macduff! (Or Banquo Sad)

Im malcolm.

I get to be king, and have all my work done for me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:05 am

Tubby McChubbles wrote:

My first ruling as King of Pendor is to have all who are not born of woman, burned.

Edit: thus King Haegon I the Flying Griffon won't die, thus Malcolm will never be King.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 am

I'm the forest. flower
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 8:20 am

Oh thank you Iskar, hardest I have laughed all day.
(Although my day has sucked.)
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:26 am

So what happens when your inbox is full? Will older messages be deleted once you get a new pm?
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 2:28 am

Yeah
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 3:53 am

Yes, so I have lost track of so many deals and IC messages it's unreal.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:09 am

This is why I have a large checklist on my personal board of all the deals going on and what they mean. PMs last barely a week for me, I get so many Sad
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 22, 2012 4:50 am

I demand a board named "Tubby's House O' Disappointing Content!"

I won't do anything with it, it will just be there to be disappointing.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 11:51 am

Ugh, I've been lazy. Updates for all my events tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptySat Nov 24, 2012 11:59 am

HUP HUP HUZZAH!

Ill be away for the next week on schoolies, they have wifi at the place im staying but ill be with all my druggo friends so i wont have the greatest amount of private time to write ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:52 am

Silvermist style?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:05 am

That's rather cool!

(Though the Silvermists are more about range and accuracy than speed, hence their long range bonus)
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:18 am

Impressive. Very impressive.

So does this mean that the Eventide Ghilmen are this fast?
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:39 am

Yeah, I have to say that video seems kinda bull****. Even at a few metres he's hitting the outside of the target, and there isn't much power in the shots.

Cool and everything, but I really doubt that's how the "ancient masters" fought.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:54 am

It might have been a tactic mainly for horse archers to get as many shots off as possible when near the enemy, then retreat, but as it was said it took them about 40 years of learning to get to this level of skill, so if ever some Clarion Call veterans or master D'Shar dervishs would be likely to achieve this.

As far as I know there is actually historical material that strongly suggests that professional archers were able to let off 6 arrows a minute, which I always took as reference for the Silvermists.

One also has to consider that in most cases archers were firing in volleys, not loosing arrows in single combat, so the coordinated "notch - draw - loose" would take several seconds at least preventing any kind of "3 arrows in 1.5 seconds"-silliness.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 5:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpOqgotJZc

My two cents:

- power is not important when a) your enemies wear light armor and b) other 200 horse archers are shooting at them at the same time.
- this is not a long bow, which has a long draw.
- I never got the 6 arrows per minute thing. It is really easy to shoot two arrows with a single draw, so it would make a lot of sense if archers used that during volleys - thus shooting around 10 arrows per minute. I don't know why no one comments that. This does take its toll on the range, however.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 6:52 am

Saeros wrote:

- I never got the 6 arrows per minute thing. It is really easy to shoot two arrows with a single draw, so it would make a lot of sense if archers used that during volleys - thus shooting around 10 arrows per minute. I don't know why no one comments that. This does take its toll on the range, however.

Is it? I think it would be rather difficult to consistently draw two arrows from your quiver (Or other device), position them on the string, and fire them quickly and consistently.

I however, am limited in my actual archery experience.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:01 am

Considering the number of times archers ran out, it would make sense to fire at a slower, more accurate rate than to fire two at once.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 am

Sticking them to the ground in pairs and a bit of practice is enough. As I mentioned, the greater problem is not accuracy, but range, since the weight is doubled but the draw strength remains the same.

You can't aim in volleys unless you are a really skilled archer or a robot. In some rare occasional during informal practice (i.e. nonsense shooting) I've seen people successfully hit a very distant target while shooting at a high angle (say, 30°). It can't be done intentionally or consistently, but it does happen - sometimes even in sequence. It's a weird phenomenon. I call it in the zone. Zen people call it differently.

EDIT: I remembered an important detail: modern arrows have plastic butts that "lock" on the string (see Legolas' arrows, this is visible on screen). This makes it easier to notch two arrows at once. As far as I know medieval arrows didn't have this devide.

It could be done with medieval arrows - for instance, by adding two tiny lumps of amber or tree sap on the notch -, but it would be too much work. Somewhat easier is carving the wood into deep teeth, as it's done with bamboo arrows in some native tribes.

So, double arrow shooting could indeed be a bit harder than I imagined.

Last edited by Saeros on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:13 am

Well it is said that medieval archers (especially the english) were fantastic and trained from childhood etc. Might have got lucky a bit more often Very Happy

Although central/late medieval archery had a different purpose anyway.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:19 am

Added an edit in my post. Should have posted it here, now I that I think about it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 25 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just talking
Page 25 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 32 ... 40  Next