An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Vinland: Revelations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:37 am

Yeah, I am more about the ideas than the literary exploits (though the tone and language used are very important to me). I guess I just like having an editor as it gives a 2nd opinion from someone who can have a direct input, and is therefore more invested in the content.

A good editor can make you a good writer
A great editor can change your life; and I know this to be very true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:39 am

I think I've heard that before. I don't know from experience, but I very much believe it's true.

Laisha
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:34 am

One thing I've learned from both writing and editing? People are very inept at spotting their own errors. I make tons of grammatical errors that I won't catch in my own reviews of my work. Same goes for poor phrasing. So way I see it, enslave an English major (who isn't me) and make him/her your editorial b*tch.

...Did I say that out loud?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:39 am

Laisha wrote:
People are very inept at spotting their own errors.

I've noticed the same.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:43 am

I've noticed the same, too.

I've also noticed, though, that if I leave the text lying about for some time and then come back to read it again, I will notice my mistakes better.

Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:59 am

Yup, standard procedure for writers is to leave the work for 1-2 weeks before reading it through and editing it.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:06 am

...out loud...

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

"Manny! Manny to the rescue!"
-The war cry of Baron Walter de Masny

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 am

I had way too much fun writing this;

Quote :
The prescribed moment of punishment came quickly, and Jorvik found himself stripped of his tunic, and hugging the mast. His arms had been bound, and bore many scratches of where he had fought against the sentence, however there were too many men in Leif’s thrall and he had been caught and wrestled to the mast.

Jorvik couldn't see Leif behind him, and with panicked eyes he scanned the on looking faces of those he had come to know so well and in each was mirrored the same look of grim displeasure at his plight. This was a mistake! He had no intention of hurting the girl, or Adalwolf. He just wanted some fun. The world was so...

“One!” the crew roared as a slice of pain wracked against his bare back. The sting was unexpected, he had hoped that the faces of those around him would give away when the blow was coming, but all that had happened was a tightening of jaws following the lash.

“Two!” once again, the lightning strike of pain, and tears rose unbidden to his eyes.

“Four!” it had become a chant, a cruel symphony of anguish.

“Seven!” numb, his back was going numb.

“Thirteen!” that one dug deeply, it was the first lash which really cut the skin rather than just slapping against it. With a fevered thought, Jorvik realised that Leif was just using knotted rope, and had no barbs laced into his whip. Fool! he thought, barbs were clearly needed to inflict the most hurt. The realisation that Leif was new at this made him chuckle. The man clearly didn't know what torture was, nor how to effectively inflict pain.

“Seventeen!” the laughter poured forth from his lips now. The blows were coming with more uncertainty, the rhythm was broken. Good! Leif was learning that part of the agony came from not knowing when the next strike would land.

“Twenty!” he sagged against the mast, his chest still heaving as the chuckles rose from his lungs. His back felt sticky now, and little spots of light danced before his eyes now. They had a pattern of their own, and he marvelled in their movement.

“Water!” a voice in the gloom called out, and he relaxed completely, relying on the bonds to keep him upright. His consciousness burst back to reality as the cold seawater struck his wounds, the salt burying itself deeply into the cuts and he cried out against the sudden agony.

Then it went completely dark, and his last belaboured thought was wondering why the little lights had stopped their dance. He liked their capering; it brought him a strange comfort and warmth.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:33 am

Somewhat random, but I began to think what Knighthood Orders my characters would appear in, if they had lived in Pendor instead of Vinland, and came to some interesting conclusions.

Griffons; Some characters show exceptional loyalty to others, though none do it through just honour, they have to be bonds that have been forged in fire. Loyalty to the leader in Vinland is not bound by duty, but rather has to be earned. That said there is a rigid heirachy in place, that some more forward thinking members of the group are fighting against, and it would be the Griffons who stand by the traditional chieftains, rather than the more democratic minds.

Characters; Kai, Adalwolf, Berend

Shadow Legion; Several characters fit the Shadow Legion mould, primarily some of the older, more traditionalist warriors who pine for the days where Vikings made their money through raiding and terror rather than commerce.

Characters; Rorik, Jorvik

Dawn / Eventides; Christianity was just beginning to take off in Scandinavia, though it remained mostly Norse Pagan. The Dawn would be the Christian missionaries, striving to replace the infidels with the one true faith. The Eventide would be more pragmatic, attempting to install a Norse Christianity, where the "White Christ" is in the Norse pantheon, standing equal to Odin and Thor.

Characters; Leif (Eventide), Rhuntyr (Although he is more of an old school pagan, he realises that things are changing; Eventide), Thjodhilde (Dawn)

Gauntlets; Although they are somewhat tied to the same ethics as the Shadow Legion, they are more concerned with keeping the ideals of Scandinavia alive. Belief in the Norse gods, the place of cunning and honour in resolving disputes, the ferocious brutality shown to enemies and exceptional generosity to friends. Too much of their history is being lost by too much interaction with outside powers. Scandinavian culture should be respected, not forgotten.

Characters; Thorvald, Hemming

Silvermists; The Silvermists are probably the most interesting parallel to draw on, commerce and democracy is becoming increasingly important to the Scandinavian people, and while their initial thoughts were idealistic and pure, the success that they are enjoying is making them more ruthless and willing to exploit their power in order to maintain their leading position. While the Gauntlets / Legion believe the struggle is honour against greed, the Silvermists see it on a different level entirely, civilisation against barbarism.

Characters; Leif, Edvin

Last edited by Mordred on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:51 am

The question is...

Which one would join the dawn?

Rhuntyr? Or Thjodhilde?

*pulls out torch*

bah! Burn them all, Astraea will sort out her own Twisted Evil

Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:02 am

Or Leif even, he starts out as a pure Christian sent by the King of Norway to convert Greenland, however his belief mellows into that of the "Norse Christians", believing the "White Christ" to be a part of the Norse pantheon, and thus equal to Thor or Odin.

Rhuntyr is a pagan "godi" (priest), while Thjodhilde is a Christian convert. In terms of Vinlandic theory, the Dawn would probably be the pure Christians fighting to stamp out the heretical Norse Christians and infidel Pagans. The Eventides would be the Norse Christians, struggling to conjoin the Norse and Christian theologies into one faith.

Most of the common folk would be Pagans, so imagine the Dawn first arriving in Pendor after leaving Barclay.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:23 am

Edit-

Re-wrote the Gauntlet's philosophy.
Also added the Dawn / Eventide clarification

Edit 2... as I hate double, let alone triple posting.

@ Aranor; you would like Thjodhilde actually. She is a devout Christian, while her husband is an un-repenting pagan. She refuses to divorce him, instead refusing to sleep with him, and building a church at the entrance to their house so that her husband would have to see it each time he left the house.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:54 am

Quote :
and building a church at the entrance to their house so that her husband would have to see it each time he left the house.

That's hilarious.

EDIT: Oh, I misread it. I thought she had built it at the door of the house, so that the husband would have to cross it to get in and out. Still hilarious though.

Last edited by Saeros on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : though ---> thought)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:59 am

Haha thats amazing!

I approve heartily

Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 am

Yup! And it wasn't even a detail I had to make up, its in the Sagas Smile

Sometimes I just love the dastardly Viking cunning, though I wish that I could recreate it more often in the book!
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 am

Quote :
Yup! And it wasn't even a detail I had to make up, its in the Sagas

Old legends have this thing with cunning that only few books nowadays manage to reproduce. Things like using the mirrored shield to look at Gorgon and putting wax in your ears to pass by the harpies. It's really good news to know that you're putting that in your book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:36 am

Interesting, I had never really considered it like that before. It's making me think of what the most clever thing I have in the book now is, heh.

I think that is why I like A Song of Ice and Fire so much actually, its one of the few places in modern literature where the characters do show a good dose of old fashioned cunning.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:44 am

I think one thing is cunning, another is thinking outside the box. The first is what we usually see in a Song of Ice and Fire (except for Tyrion), and the latter are the examples above: the church, the wax, and the mirror.

Another place with clever plans: The Hunger Games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:46 am

So now we know what textbooks the Silvermists use Wink
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 am

I had put my Silvermist Handbook of Traps on hold for the thesis, but now, with the Hunger Games, I assure (and warn) you all that it will be three times bigger than I had originally planned Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm

Mordred wrote:
Interesting, I had never really considered it like that before. It's making me think of what the most clever thing I have in the book now is, heh.

I think that is why I like A Song of Ice and Fire so much actually, its one of the few places in modern literature where the characters do show a good dose of old fashioned cunning.

There's a lot of political intrigue, lots of plots and such, but I've seen that same cunning in a lot of places. The thing what makes it such a wonderful read is the constantly changing perspectives: it doesn't let you get bogged down in just one plot; there are dozens of plots to root for.

Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:53 pm

A song of ice and fire is part of the Silvermist hand library just as well as the writings of the great Ravenstern scholar Niklas MacIavel. Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 pm

God Damn you and your connections to the Raven Spear!

All we have in Valonbray are prayer books and gardening handbooks from Barclay Sad

Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 am

Just finished the first draft of Vinland!!!

Now I am going to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:12 am

Congratulations Mordred!

This is no time for sleeping, get yourself to a bar or tavern and be merry!

PostSubject: Re: Vinland: Revelations   

Back to top Go down

Vinland: Revelations
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next