An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

IC Scene: Aranor's Trial

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:17 pm

While the prosecutors hesitate in putting forward their case, Saeros is seen talking intently to the Silvermist constable, sitting right next to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:43 am

Iskar conversed with Saeros for some time while the Griffons still pondered who would be prosecutor. After some minutes they finished and Iskar rose to address the king.

Your Majesty, we are ready to commence the trial as soon as the prosecutor has been chosen. I will personally defend Sir Aranor's case.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:52 am

The Griffon kights were constantly busy talking to each other but the other orders couldn't hear what was said. Fortunately, the Silvermists didn't have to wait for long before Sir Azrael rose from the Griffon seats.

"I will be handling the prosecution, your majesty."

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:04 am

Very good, Judges please take your seats. A scribe will be made available should you wish to refer to notes throughout the session. The prosecution may begin their piece when they are ready.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:08 am

Marcus rose from his seat and moved to the judges' seats, sitting down on the middle one.

Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:14 am

Celdiur followed suit and took his place next to Marcus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:30 am

Again being the last to move, Lucius sat down on the other side of the first pair.

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

"Manny! Manny to the rescue!"
-The war cry of Baron Walter de Masny

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 am

“His Majesty, King Mordred, has made it quite clear that any attack against his power is an attack against the whole realm itself.

“ I must make it clear that I consider any attack on the authority of the crown, as an attack against the nation of Pendor as a whole.

It is for this reason that we have laws to act ruthlessly against any question of the authority which the Crown of Pendor has over this kingdom, and why I will brook absolutely no question against the right my family has to rule, or for the powers of the throne”

Those are two excerpts from His Majesty’s previous speech at the beginning of this trial. Grandmaster Aranor acted against these laws quite clearly. To prove that, I have gathered a few directly quoted statements from him:

The Dawn will not stand behind a monarch that is unchecked

This whole meeting I have been trying to discuss things with the other grandmasters that are for the good of this realm, not for the benefit of your king.

I will not have a single man control every aspect of law-making in this realm.

'When the king himself sits in his seat of power here in the capitol, does he know what laws will be best for those on the coast? In the mountains? Of lower class? Of upper class?

In his first statement, Aranor boldly states that he will not stand behind his Majesty if there is no one to keep a watch on Him. His Majesty, King Mordred, has absolute power over the realm and there is no person to share the power. Therefore, he has in principle stated that he will not remain loyal to His Majesty. It should also be noted that Duke Darlionn warned Grandmaster Aranor after this, but he didn't heed it.

His second statement is perhaps the worst. While all orders probably wish good for the realm, he addresses His Majesty as ‘Your King’. So he doesn’t recognize His Majesty as the king of the realm of Pendor and Her people, which the Grandmaster himself is part of.

In his third statement, he directly informs everyone that he will not tolerate His Majesty’s power and hold over His realm. Again he directly questions His Majesty’s right to rule over Pendor.

In the final statement he isn’t as direct as with the previous examples, but he implies that His Majesty has no capability to rule over His realm. His Majesty brought together all the old kingdoms in this land. He sure as Hell didn’t sit on a throne to accomplish that. He travelled far and wide to bring unity to the kingdom, seeing every culture and how they had fared under the rules of very different rulers.”

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:44 am

Saeros mutters something to Iskar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSane
Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:01 am

Merzinas shifts uncomfortably, he is barely holding back his desire to argue against the Griffons prosecution, but as much as he yearned, he still had to bow to the Kings decision in the matter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:55 am

When Iskar rose for his speech his scribe rushed forward and handed him some more scrolls of parchment before retreating again.

Your majesty, he began, honourable justices, grandmasters, knights and squires, we are here because the defendant Sir Aranor has been accused of treason of the crown. I mean to prove that this accusation is pointless.

He started to walk up and down in front of the dais while talking.

Let us examine the statements that led the prosecution to believe it was treason that Sir Aranor talked:

He unrolled the parchments and read aloud: "The Dawn will not stand behind a monarch that is unchecked, [...] ."

Obviously the prosecution interpreted this in such a way that Sir Aranor would no longer support the crown, assuming that currently the crown is unchecked, absolute. However, is that assumption true? I think not:
An absolute king could decide even nonsense if it pleased him. Is there nobody checking the decisions of the king? Is there no Lord Chamberlain, no Lord Chancellor who discuss his majesty's decisions with him? Or should it be the case that his grace the duke of Sarleon counted himself to what he called "the crown" and feared to loose parts of his power should a different system of checks be established?
An absolute king could pass whatever laws and dues pleased him, independent of the reaction of his subjects. Does not - your majesty will hopefully forgive me if I point that out - his majesty have to rely on the goodwill of the majority of the nobles for the passing of new laws and the raising of new taxes?
An absolute king would stand above all laws in the realm and could order the death of anyone. Could his majesty order the death of his subjects without reason? Is his majesty not bound to protect his subjects by the very foundations of feudal law? The fundamental rule of service for protection that gives stability to our whole society applies also, if not particularly, to his majesty.

No, the crown is not unchecked, and so these words are no treason but, on the contrary, reason, since a completely absolute king in the way I laid out would be detrimental to the realm. Sir Aranor said "The Dawn will not..."; he referred to possible dangers of this kind in the future and spoke as befits any good and faithful counsellor of the realm.

He paused for a moment, examining the faces of the gathered, then went on with his speech.

Before we come to the next statement in question let me demonstrate you something.

He unrolled the parchments again but chose a different one this time before reading out its content: "If you bloody well tear Ravenstern apart, yer asking fer one thing! - War!"

I ask you, he said to the assembled court, pointing at them with the scroll, Does this not sound like an insolent separatist threatening the crown with war? Like a madman desperately trying to keep his former kingdom from integrating into the realm as is his majesty's will? Does this not sound like blatant and unmasked treason?

He inserted a dramatic pause, then his hand with the scroll went down like a judge's hammer onto the palm of his other hand.

It does - but only because I left away the proper context in which these words were spoken. In fact Sir Mastifus did his duty to the realm and warned the council of what might happen if all traces of old Ravenstern were dissolved at once - the opposite of treason, to be precise.

In light of this let us examine the next statement in question: "This whole meeting I have been trying to discuss things with the other grandmasters that are for the good of this realm, not for the benefit of your king."

Just like Sir Mastifus's words this might sound like treason when ripped out of its proper context. Now what was the context? What made Sir Aranor say "your king" instead of "our king"?
Throughout the council sessions some members of the order of the Griffon had ... distinguished themselves by talking more about the king in person than about the task set by his majesty - helping the unification of the realm. That was why Sir Aranor made the distinction between realm and king, and "your king" refers to the fact that the order of the Griffon is closer to his majesty than the other orders and generally pays special attention to matters concerning his majesty in person, "your" not meaning "not mine", but "especially yours".

The third and fourth statement objected to by the prosecution are easily dealt with. The third one, "I will not have a single man control every aspect of law-making in this realm.", refers to the very same issue as the first statement which I already explained. His majesty in fact does not control every aspect of law making. There are subordinates and officials working out details before they are brought to the king and the dukes have as rightful vassals of his majesty the right to pass laws for their duchies on their own regarding certain issues.
The last statement can not be seen as treason at all. As far as I recall everyone is free to think of the king what he likes and if it is Sir Aranor's opinion that his majesty cannot rule the realm all by himself but needs counsellors and advisors for this titanic task then he is very well allowed to say so. This statement does not challenge the rights and powers of the crown at all.

He paused for a moment as the first part of his speech was finished. Unrolling the scroll another time he then said:

Now let me read out some of Sir Aranor's statements made in immediate temporal vicinity of the statements in question - statements that the prosecution - purposefully or not - left out of consideration:

"Do I respect the king? I would die for him, and so would my entire order."

One might dismiss this for empty boasting, were it not for the recent events that perfectly proved this claim: While others shrieked away from old laws Sir Aranor led his order into battle and the bloody, lossy business of a siege in order to save his majesty's subjects from being burned and butchered by the fanatics of the Red Dawn and their traitorous allies.

"This discussion is not challenging the king and his powers."

Had the prosecution paid more attention to this single sentence we could have saved a lot of time, since it makes clear that Sir Aranor never meant to deprive his majesty or his heirs of any powers.

"This is not an attack on Mordred, this is about whats [sic] good for the realm."

Sir Aranor here again makes clear that it is not his intention to diminish the crown's power but to actively serve the realm it rules ... and thus do more for it than simply standing in attendance, waiting for explicit orders, he finished while his glance swept over the assembled knights and perhaps by chance ended its course resting on the Griffons.

Your Majesty, Honourable Justices, he finally said, bowing, I have laid out the position of the defense. May the gods grant you wisdom for your decision.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:40 am

Sir Azrael listened to Iskar’s speech passively, occasionally turning to ask something from the Griffon scribe, and curiously Sir Renault. The parchments constantly switched hands as they moved between Azrael and the poor scribe

”Indeed, constable Iskar, you raise valid points. However some of your words make no sense. Let’s make a recap, shall we. Constable Iskar raised the issue of context, but didn’t give it to us. To remedy that, I have gathered the conversation here:

Spoiler:

“The conversation refers to a proposal of making a council to help His Majesty, in case the honoured visitors wish to know.

And indeed Iskar, His Majesty has his loyal servants to help Him gain perspective into things. But contrary to your belief, they are of pure advisory role. No, they have zero authority to override or change His Majesty’s decisions. Zero power to make the laws. The crown is ‘unchecked’ in legal sense, if that is the choice of words you wish to use, constable Iskar. The ‘reason’ of Grandmaster Aranor is direct attack to the authority of His Majesty, the Crown. His Majesty hears his people, and they follow.”

Sir Azrael kept a small pause before continuing.

“‘The dawn will not’. The “will” part might mean the future and the present. One can’t just go and claim what the words mean, constable. The context that had him utter these words was quite clear.
” The Dawn will not stand behind a monarch that is unchecked, the royal council needs power, if we grant the king absolute power over law-making it will bite us later on."
A clear displayal of aforementioned treason. He also seems to have a delusion of ruling over His Majesty…”

Again Sir Azrael checked some of the scrolls.

“I gave the conversation, the context in the beginning so we can skip the explanation on that… And again you claim to know the exact meaning of Grandmaster Aranor’s words. There is no evidence of the reason you gave. He clearly says that His Majesty is just ‘Your King’. Now, on other hand his quote gives some other interesting implications. Apparently anything that is good for the realm is not beneficial for His Majesty. His Majesty is the one who unified Pendor and brought peace. He gave the greatest good for Pendor, and it wasn’t detrimental for His Majesty. Implications of course, but it is still clearer than the ‘especially your king’ thing.”

“The next argument. Yes, had it been said in other context, it wouldn’t be that special if it wasn’t for Grandmaster Aranor’s previous statements. Indeed, it is the context that makes it treason. His aggressive way of saying it and his previous statements heavily indicate that he wishes to limit His Majesty’s power from what it is now.”

“And the last argument: So everyone is allowed think, if Your Majesty forgives me, that His Majesty should not rule over the realm? And that he should be removed? That is treason, and it will not be allowed. His Majesty has proven his capabilities a thousand times over, so Grandmaster Aranor may be mistaken in his belief. But saying that the Crown needs more men to make laws is an attack against His Majesty’s power. Duke Darlion suggested that the council should of an advisory role, but Grandmaster Aranor objected at that. He seeks to limit His Majesty’s power, a treason.”

“Now, I haven’t been in Javiksholm, so I do not know the exact details what happened. Anything is possible… Indeed, the same goes for you, constable. You do not know exactly why Grandmaster Aranor laid the siege. What were his motives. Neither do I, but one of our members who was there had something interesting to say, a quote from Grandmaster Aranor:

"As you know, Javiksholm is the fiefdom of Earl Aedin Redsword. Even though throughout my childhood he raised me, he also had a very good friendship with the leader of the Red Dawn, Bishop Gregory. With each passing hour I become more and more convinced that he has betrayed us. Knights roam the countryside taking villagers' supplies claiming to be under his orders, his nephew has also welcomed them into his home.

If it comes to the point, where he has become a traitor, and must be dealt as one. I would like for your master, Duke Darlion, to support me if we need to elect a new Earl for Javiksholm, or what do you politicians call it.. a bid for aristocracy. I ask that not for power, but because I feel that the Fierdsvain needs me. Barclay may have been where I became a man and was knighted, but the Fierdsvain is where I grew up, and the Fierdsvain is what gave me my heart. I fear that another noble may try to come and secure the power vacuum. I only care for the people. "

"It seems that Grandmaster Aranor may have rather ambitious motives regarding the siege..."

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:08 am

Aranor stifled a laugh

"Sir, forgive me, but i dont see any evidence of that last accusation."

Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 am

"That may be because it is not a direct accusation, Grandmaster Aranor."

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:12 am

"Forgive me, not accusation, proof. There were no scribes in javoksholm when i was with the griffons, there is no evidence of me making that statement."

Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:45 am

Sir Azrael smiled politely.

"Indeed, you deny ever having said that, just as the person claims that you said it. Word against word."

Sir Azrael stopped to ponder for a moment.

"But if it is so important to you, why don't you swear this quote to be completely false in the name of Astraea? I trust the grandmaster of Dawn always speaks the truth in her name."

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am

Iskar scrawled a note on a piece of parchment and sent a footboy to Aranor with it.

[OOC: You got the message via PM, Aranor.]

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:07 am

Aranor took the note, and gave it a quick glance.

He stood from his chair, and looked around the room.

He stared directly at Sir Azrael

"I, Sir Aranor Vilaren, Grandmaster of the Dawn, servant of the King, Champion of Astraea, hearby swear by the name of Astraea that the aforementioned quote by Sir Azrael was never uttered by me in my camp by Javiksholm."

he then looked to King Mordred and did a salute

"I also swear this to the High King Mordred."

he bows, and looks back to Sir Azrael

"Trying to discredit me will do you no justice, Griffon. You conjure up a very precise message, with no evidence, no backing. You then have me swear to my goddess to try and make it seem as if I might be lying, to try and discredit me. Sir Azrael, check the logs of the council again, if I truly wanted the seat of Javiksholm, I wouldn't have fought in order to have Javiksholm made into a free city, I would have fought to have the current Earl deposed."

Aranor chuckles

"Trickster.. You shame your order, and yourself."

He does another bow to the king, and sits down.

Last edited by Sir Aranor on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed one word out)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 am

Sir Azrael asked something from Sir Renault. His polite tone didn’t waver even once.

“Indeed, there is no doubt that that you didn’t say the quote… In your camp that is. According to the person, it was said in the Griffon camp. I didn’t even specify where you supposedly said the quote before-hand. I find it curious that you see such an add necessary to your vow. If you do not wish to swear it, you should just say so…”

Again he paused for a moment.

“Indeed, you fought to make Javiksholm a free city, grandmaster Aranor, no denying that. But contrary to your statement, you did fight for the removal of Aedin:

Spoiler:

“And what comes to this assumed trickery, it wasn’t conjured. I heard the quote from the person you supposedly told this. You denied ever having said it. It was a clear conflict easily solved with that way, don’t you think grandmaster Aranor? Sadly, it is left unresolved as of now. Unless you still wish to talk about something, we should let the defence take their turn now.”

Spoiler:

Last edited by Pravenstern on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Late pm)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:09 am

During Sir Azrael's speech Iskar kept taking notes on a piece of parchment and every now and then exchanged some words with Saeros by his side. At some point he beckoned for the scribe and whispered something to him, upon which the man hurried away and returned soon after with a separate piece of parchment. When the bickering about the quote had finished Iskar rose again.

As it seems, he began, the prosecution tried to disprove my previous arguments as to why Sir Aranor's words yield no foundation for an accusation of treason. He paused for a moment, then went on. Let us examine whether they were successful.

Again the prosecution claims that there are no legal constraints to the power of the crown.
Yet, two strong points speak against this conception – or misconception as I will lay out now.

Firstly the prosecution persists in denying the feudal nature of our kingdom. There is in fact one single duty the king has: The protection of his subjects; and although there is nobody above the king to enforce this duty, it is the feudal relation itself that ensures it. The categorical service by the subjects is ensured first and foremost by the continued protection by the king and vice versa.

Secondly we have recent proof that royal authority is not unchecked in the legal sense: Sir Darlion and a large Griffon detachment travelled to Javiksholm under the royal banner – Sir Darlion, the Lord Chancellor, speaking with royal authority by virtue of his office, and the royal banner testifying to everyone that their mission was the king's own, that they enacted the king's will and deeds and not the particular interests of their order.

In order to prove the assertion about the Lord Chancellor's authority he produced an older looking parchment and handed it around. It was a protocol from the last great royal council after the Ravenstern-Veccavia crisis. A single statement of the king was especially marked:

Quote :
„Sir Darlion has proven himself a most reliable and loyal member of this court, and as such I am making him my Lord Chancellor, with duties as Duke of Sarleon together with being my right hand in all matters. He speaks with my authority from this day forward.

[OOC-Note: Quote from TW-forums, „The power struggle in the north“, p. 22]

Then he went on:

Sir Darlion's patrols confirmed the crimes comitted by the Red Dawn in the surroundings of Javiksholm and after being admitted access to the city they furthermore confirmed that the Red Dawn burned and butchered the citizens without constraints, even supported by the duke.
It was a clear case where the king's subjects required his direct protection and one might have expected the Griffon to act immediately. However, they did not.
Why?, one might ask. The reason they gave was that Aedin had somehow managed to legally though not morally justify the fanatics' actions using old, almost forgotten laws and that they could not override these laws.
If it was true that the crown is unchecked in the legal sense Darlion could have used the power bestowed upon him by the king to override these old laws and forbid any further crimes and in fact it would in this case have been his duty, since he was riding under the royal banner, thusly directly representing the king and therefore inheriting his majesty's duty to protect his subjects.
That he did not do so would, in case the crown is unchecked in the legal sense, mean he comitted a far greater treason than the treason of words Sir Aranor is accused of – a treason of deeds, or rather of omission of the latter in a case where they were his one and only duty to the king and his subjects.

He smiled seemingly amiably. I can force nobody not to accept the prosecution's view of the legal positon of the crown – the smile turned into a slightly more sneaky one – but in that case I would recommend accusing Sir Darlion of treason first.

He paused for a moment to let the words sink in, but attained a more neutral expression soon again before continuing.

I believe thereby everything of relevance regarding the first of Sir Aranor's statements in question is said, since if the prosecution's conception of the legal position of the crown is wrong, then the argument I advanced in my first speech holds uncontestedly and his statement is no treason at all.

Now, the prosecution rightfully pointed out that we cannot know Sir Aranor's thoughts – neither me nor Sir Azrael. Therefore we need to take other facts and the context into account to judge this second statement.

In my first speech I already mentioned several genuine quotes of the Dawn's grandmaster supporting the interpretation that he does not intend to betray the crown.
Yet, far stronger than words still speak deeds: The Dawn has shown their loyalty to the crown when they sent off their men to Veccavia at the king's command, they rushed to the protection of his subjects threatened by the Red Dawn where others shunned away and they spent resources from their own warehouses to build and man watchtowers along the western coast to protect it against Vanskerry raids. Obviously the Dawn does support the crown in the present and therefore the „will“ can only refer to a possible future that Sir Aranor seeks to prevent.

As for the accusation based on saying „your king“, the prosecution would make us believe that they provided an ampler context than I did before, yet they did only render the whole conversation the most concise statements of which have already been read out. The prosecution simply chose to provide the less relevant and less meaningful sentences as well, thusly blurring the sight on the important ones, while not even pointing out particular statements that would support their notion. The protocols are open to everyone and there is no need reading them out as a whole without clear relation to the accusations.
However, since there seems to be a longing for more context I shall comply with it, though in a more precise way. I said earlier that the distinction between „realm“ and „your king“ resulted from a continued aspect of the debate connected to obviously different conceptions of the proper way to serve the king and realm:

While some orders, such as the Dawn, the Legion and the Silvermist supported a notion of active service characterised by proactivity and initiative as all of these orders have displayed so far, the Griffon defended a way of passive service that requires explicit royal orders before actions are taken. Squire Aelos said right in the beginning: "[...], 'we' should do nothing, just trust and obey our King." Throughout the meeting especially Lady Tenorio kept insisting that no constructive suggestions be discussed, let alone recommended. She ignored the royal intention expressed in the opening letter that clearly put the council's work under the goal of greater unity for the realm.
She went as far as saying that – after Sir Darlion had advocated the dissolution of the provincial administrations – no administrative systems should be discussed as replacements, implying that we should recommend the dissolution of an important administrative level without providing his majesty with at least a suggestion as to how to compensate for this, thusly causing even more work for his majesty without actively helping the unity of the realm, where we had been asked to help his majesty in the latter task. The Griffon kept furthermore insisting that the council should cover only the most basic aspects and accusing members of the council of presuming royal power when voicing their suggestions, even after it had been explained several times that suggestions in the council were – regardless of formalisation – only aimed at recommendations for the king and that the task set by his majesty implied that we considered all means that are within the reach of royal authority. This constant bickering about the king and his personal power instead of considering the king's task set to us is the continuity in which to interpret Sir Aranor's words „your king“ in contrast to the „realm“ that we were tasked and wanted to serve.

Now for the last statement: The prosecution implies that it is actually forbidden to even think certain things. Pray, tell me, how do you intend to check whether someone has thought treason?
Furthermore advancing that a king needs advisors to rule such an extended and culturally manifold realm is something completely different from suggesting to remove the king. It seems the prosecution tried to slip an actually treacherous thought in that Sir Aranor did not advance, since the statement at hand failed to serve for the intended accusations.
If you now want to counter that Sir Aranor did not think but speak his thoughts – be they treacherous or not, though the latter is far more likely – then consider that first of all the very nature of the council implied that all those present meant to serve the realm and king and that in order to provide an atmosphere where thoughts are spoken easily it was strictly taken care of that no word of the consultations left the room. This and the very fact that the resolutions of the council would be recommendations for the king a priori prevented whatever thoughts to be voiced from being able to cause harm to the latter and his power. Of course the privacy of the council lasted only until Sir Darlion invaded the council with armed forces and brought soldiers into the room that were not invited to the council, creating the possibility that words mistakeable by less trained ears and minds might find their way out into the castle and onto the streets.

He paused again.

With this – I believe – all points of the prosecution's repeated accusations are properly countered and disproven. Yet, since they deemed it necessary to raise the issue of Javiksholm, let me address this shortly at the end.

First of all based on what we know currently Aedin Redsword failed to protect the citizens and peasants under his rule from the fanatics of the Red Dawn and has thusly forfeited his birthright. Therefore we currently must assume that the duchy of Javiksholm is vacant. The Manifest Destiny Act passed by his majesty some years ago allows all lawful organisations to seek the rule of lands without a rightful direct lord provided they are able to defend the populace in the name of the king.
Therefore, even if they were true, the Dawn's grandmaster's alleged ambitions for Javiksholm would be fully covered by this act. As for the selfish intentions the prosecution would make us assume in this context they are to be seriously doubted when considering the hardships Sir Aranor and the Dawn have taken on themselves to protect the populace of the old Fierdsvain, especially in light of the possibility that Aedin Redsword's nephew Vigdus, who also supported the Red Dawn, might inherit the duchy on the death or disinheritance of his uncle, thusly putting all measures taken to drive the fanatics from our realm in danger of having been in vain.

In contrast to what the prosecution intended this further supports the notion of Sir Aranor's continued loyalty to the crown.

His gaze went from one judge to the other, shortly establishing eye contact with each to ensure their undivided attention.

In order to sum up the essence of the aforesaid:
In general it was shown that the prosecution's objections to my first speech were pointless.
Unless we want to consider Sir Darlion guilty of treason, too, we must assume that the crown is not unchecked in the legal sense and that thusly Sir Aranor's first statement is no treason.
Disproving the prosecution's assertions I gave the full context in which he said "your king" and explained why it means "especially yours" rather than "not mine".
Furthermore we have seen that the accusations regarding Sir Aranor's thoughts about the necessity of advisors are far from yielding a base to the mentioned accusations.
And the issue of Javiksholm brought up by the prosecution - regardless of the doubtful nature of the alleged quote - speaks not against Sir Aranor, but rather in his favour.

He coiled up his parchments again and attained a straight, upright posture towards the king and the judges.

I thus consider my speech finished and pray that the honourable judges will decide to the best of king, realm and justice.

He bowed and retreated to his seat.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:39 am

"Thank you both for your learned words regarding the guilt or innocence of Grandmaster Aranor" King Mordred began slowly, still absorbing all that he had heard.

"We would ask the judges now to quiz the accused should they require clarification on any points or have questions of their own. We urge you to keep to two points, so that all of the judges can get their queries answered in good time."

-- OOC; Also I am going to stick a 3 day limit on this, so we can get your questions and answers in without delaying this overly, so 22:00 GMT on the 19th. I will then lock the thread so the judges can come to a verdict and reopen on the 20th so you can proclaim if he is found guilty or innocent. --
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:17 pm

Throughout the trial so far, Sir Lucius had looked distinctly uncomfortable, but now his face was set and unreadable as he stood up to face the Dawn Grandmaster.

Sir Aranor... I would like you to explain to me your opinion on our current system of government, in little detail, if you please. Ignoring matters such as efficiency, do you believe that the king is cabable enough to rule Pendor in the manner he sees fit? Before you immediately say no due to workload, consider that many other monarchs before ours have effectively rules kingdoms with absolute authority. While what you said might not be considered a personal attack of King Mordred, an attack on the Crown is another thing entirely.

As he began to sit down, Lucius quickly glanced back up and spoke again.

And please refrain from making arguments related to context this time. All the judges were present, and we have heard the Constable's arguments.

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:22 pm

Marcus rose from his judge's seat, still processing some of what Iskar and Azrael had said, hands folded behind him. He looked around, pondering. If the King would not like what he was about to say, then there could possibly be heavy charges laid against him and his allies. Carefully. Not like he usually did it.

Were there any alternate options available to him? Something to turn the tide against the Griffin so completely that they would have to struggle hard to break free?

And then it sprang up to his head. The Idea.

It would be just a walk in the park. Rubbing some salt in their wounds; reciting the opening speech of some grand tragedy written for the fallen Knights.

Suddenly he realized that his options were not scarce at all.

"Let it be clear that any alliances I have made, any bonds I have forged, are null in this Courtroom. Null in comparison to the justice I have been chosen to deliver." His hands intertwined in tension.

"Pondering over the correct interpretation of Sir Aranor is, in my opinion, not very... reliable. Who could, after all, tell what the other person has thought? It is folly, and dangerously close to passing sentence because you assume the other is thinking about something treasonous. Who started this conflict? Who started this scandal, lighted the fire that is now blazing between our orders? It was the Order of the Griffon - as a matter of fact, it was our very own Lord Chancellor. Sir Darlion strode armed into the council, taking every opportunity to hinder and sabotage it... and when the natural response came, he had this brave man arrested for treason. In a council that held the power of the royal degree!" His hands shot up in the air, balling up into fists in a gesture of outrage.

"And now we are holding a trial against a man who has spoken against the Lord Chancellor's word, infuriated by his behaviour, who so arrogantly strode in a meeting that was supposed to be peaceful. Instead of bringing order amongst Orders, he has instead turned them against himself and his Order. In the light of these events, I would like to ask one single question from the prosecution." He took a breath. He had been talking for long, now.

"Is there anything concrete to prove Sir Aranor's guilt? If there isn't, then why did you come forth with an accusation of such magnitude in the first place? Must I truly believe that this was a some trick of Darlion's, like a child trying to convict someone for looking at him mean?"

This was it. He had found the right words... and presented them to the audience.

But he was too terrified to smile. His hands rubbed against one another behind his back.

Last edited by Marcus the Shadow Fighter on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Speaking before everyone else, Sir Lucius snapped angrily at Marcus.

Sir, we are here to pass a verdict on Sir Aranor, nobody else. If you wish to act like the defense or prosecution, accuse Sir Darlion outside of this process, but for now, at least try to act as if you are actually considering the evidence.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 am

"I did, and this is what it told me. It screamed to be told." He smiled openly at Lucius.

"Of course, I can see why you want to convict Aranor."

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   

Back to top Go down

IC Scene: Aranor's Trial
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next