Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IC Scene: Aranor's Trial

Go down 
+12
Kamos
Pravenstern
Psychozoa
Tubby McChubbles
MitchyMatt
tobberman
Ser Varys
Isabel Tenorio
Saeros
Iskar
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Mordred
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 12:31 am

The master of ceremonies intervened. DeSpencer stomped his ornate staff of office on the ground three times to quite the room.

Gentlement, his majesty has set you a task and I must ask you to comply. The defense and prosecution have already laid out why they deem Sir Aranor guilty or innocent. Unless you have a very particular question about a detail or a complex intricacy, their speeches should have answered all general questions. Please ask your questions to the defendant if you have any and otherwise wait while the judges do so.
Now, Sir Lucius spoke up first. Let the defendant answer to the question without interruption.
Back to top Go down
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight
Sir Celdiur Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:25 am

Marcus felt a heavy hand take hold upon his shoulder. Celdiur had stood, but not to address the gathering.

"Sit down Marcus. Your accusations are helping no one. Not to mention you make yourself look like a fool by sowing even more seeds of distrust in the presence of his Majesty"

His voice, though quiet, held a degree of irritation.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 1:43 am

Marcus gestured smoothly, conjuring a befuddled expression on his face as though he had said what he had not ment to say.

"I spoke in haste. Please forgive me..."

But as he sat down on his seat, head hidden between his hands, a secret smile rose onto his lips.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 1:17 am

Sir Aranor got up from his seat to address Lucius.

"You are mistaken on one thing, the kings of old, did not rule with absolute authority. Do not equate compliant vassals with authority. There has only been one kingdom in Pendor that has not followed the feudal laws that Pendor has always been governed under, the new empire. Even then, it was an elective monarchy, not absolute. Kings like Ulric, while giving off the sense of absolute authority, depended on their vassals for armies and taxes. Do you remember how Ulric always threw feasts? He didn't throw them for himself, he threw them for his vassals, both to keep them happy, and to keep them close.

Now, for your question. Can our king rule the kingdom as he sees fit? Can he effectively manage 5 kingdoms, full of hundreds of thousands of people? King Mordred, while he is my king, will be hardpressed to rule all of Pendor. Not due to ineptness, but more to human limitations. It would be a monumental task."
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 am

A look of ruthlessness passed over his features as he listened to Aranor, but the voice that came from his seat was rich, stable and deep; little emotion could be heard in it.

"I hope you realize that King Mordred has already ruled Pendor for a long time. When it comes to uniting the lands, however, we must know that it is a very monumental task: the land has been broken for centuries, after all. Unification is possible, however, as our King has demonstrated." He licked his lips, pondering over how much he could say. How much till he went too far over the edge to come back?

"And as for the length of the unification... nobody can predict it. Perhaps only a decade. Perhaps many decades. It could be speculated that a task so monumental as this could not be completed in a lifetime. Who knows for sure?" Slowly, carefully.

His eyes lingered on Aranor's features, giving away concentration... and tension. A meaningful expression glimpsed on his face, then disappeared suddenly as if it had never been there.

Carefully.

Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 am

Rising from his seat once more, Sir Lucius addressed Aranor, retaining his flat tone of voice.

Sir, I asked you to ignore the arguments of efficiency. Answer my simple question: If King Mordred were to be brought the issues of the realm one at a time, regardless of time constraint, do you believe that the decisions he makes would be the correct ones. We have already seen that he plainly can preside over different cultures, as he is the one that is held in such esteem as to have unified Pendor in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 6:12 am

"Yes he can, if we were to live in a world without time constraints. Only then would our king be able to go into every little intricacy in every part of Pendor. I am not questioning the kings ability to rule. I trust my answer is satisfactory?"
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 9:45 am

"I see no point to ask any further questions. Personally, I am done. Your Highness, Judges, the Audience." He added a flourished bow towards them as their names were mentioned.

"I believe that we shall now have the pleasure of hearing Sir Celdiur..." his eyes rolled in their sockets, now regarding Morendor. A flicker of amusement lingered in them.
Back to top Go down
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight
Sir Celdiur Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 11:38 am

Celdiur eyed Marcus warily. He didnt like his attitude. He especially didnt like that this man, so mysterious and shrewd, was the leader of a powerful force that bowed only to the King because they had no choice. I wonder who the real traitors are in this hall... He stood.

"My thanks, Grandmaster Marcus. However I have no questions that have not already been answered.

He bowed to those present and sat once again. From the corner of his mouth he muttered something, comprehensible only to the man sitting next to him, Marcus.

"Sorry to deny you that pleasure, Marcus"

His tone was sharp.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 8:19 am

Sir William DeSpencer stomped his staff of office on the floor again.

Hereby the questioning of the defendant is finished. Honourable Justices, his majesty will expect your verdicts after you have pondered all that has been said.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Visibly trying to disguise some emotion, Sir Lucius slowly got to his feet and faced Mordred. Spending a second to gather his thoughts, the older knight glanced at Sir Aranor before he began to speak.

Your Grace. I do not believe that, in this instance, Sir Aranor is guilty of treason. While the arguments of the defence were inadequate, I cannot believe that he is plotting against your person or your rights. However, he is plainly avoiding certain lines of questions pertaining to actions which require more investigation.

Lucius turned his head towards Aranor for a moment.

Sir, you may think you are being devious rewording oaths and such, but it is plainly obvious to this assembly when you do so, and it saddens me.

Spent, Sir Lucius stiffly returned to his chair and waited for his fellows' votes.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:18 am

Marcus rose from his seat, facing King Mordred the First. He lowered his eyes, not entirely because he had to. There was a tinge of reverence in his eyes, now.

'I have thought about what has been said in this courtroom,' he said, articulating clearly, 'and as sir Lucius, I see no reason to convict sir Aranor for treason. I say he is innocent.'

A slight smile touched his lips as though he had known the case would end this exact way. He bowed nearly reverently towards the king before returning to his seat. Instead of sitting down on it, however, he stood by its high back, his mind now focused on another question he had come up with.

The whole trial was doomed to fail... so why hold it at all?

A distraction?

A distraction from what?

He pondered hard.

Back to top Go down
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight
Sir Celdiur Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:44 am

Celdiur rose to his feet and faced the King.

"The verdict is unanimous your Majesty. With my vote, all three appointed judges find Sir Aranor innocent of the charge brought against him. We find no true reason to doubt his loyalty to His Majesty and to his family"

Celdiur bowed then before turning to address the gathering.

"As I have no reason to believe that any gathered here today are guilty of treason against our King. It was our loyalty to the Crown and to this Kingdom that brought us here to Sarleon to create lasting stability and a solid base of support for his Majesty to rule from. Alas, prejudice and ill will clouded our judgements, and many of us are guilty of saying that which we did not mean in the heat of the moment. Such is the case of Sir Aranor, as it is many others here today. Let us pray now that wisdom and Justice can push aside our differences and allow us to work together for the common good of this Kingdom"

With that he bowed yet again before returning to his seat.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:54 am

Iskar looked relieved as all three judges voted for Aranor's innocence and exchanged a smiling nod with Saeros, Laisha and Jareth. However, seeing that the prosecution had not managed to convince even one of the judges, he started to wonder what the Griffons had meant to achieve with these accusations. Had it all been a farce or were they really that stubborn?
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 3:29 am

Aelos shifted uncomfortable in his seat, Are the orders really that scared of each other? How much power holds the Dawn, really?, questions like that kept flowing into his mind.

Perhaps they are right. perhaps paranoia defines the Griffons within their own halls.

He watched the judges closely, trying to find any signs of possible alliances.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 12:46 am

"Then the matter is settled" the king stated rising from his throne, having heard the verdict of each judge.

"We find Sir Aranor innocent of the charge of treason against the crown, however we should like to urge the Grandmaster to meditate on his words here today and his thoughts during the meeting. While we are sure his actions were in the best interests of Pendor at large, his goddess may demand consideration on whether it is the word of the law, or the spirit of the law which is most important and whether he has properly upheld those virtues with his recent conduct."

"We would also like to thank the justices and the councils for their judicious application of the will of the King and of the realm. In the light of the events here, the first and most serious application that the legal framework that Pendor has undergone, we will be seeking counsel on how to improve the legislation that we work under in a future meeting."

The king paused for a moment, and stroked his goatee beard as he considered further what needed to be done.

"Furthermore, some changes must be made to how these meetings operate and these will be announced once the results are handed to me, however one must be implemented now; we hereby instate freedom of speech within the walls of the council chamber, that is any thought may be aired without fear of arrest, however know that we make it our business to hear what occurs, and repeated attacks on the authority of the Crown will be met with... disapproval" the King continued at length, licking his lips as he looked directly at the Silvermist contingent with the final word.

"Now, I would urge the Orders to return to their deliberations to complete the assignment given on to them and to provide me with their counsel in a most expedient manner. Remember all of you, that you are here for the good of Pendor and I will be most upset" with this the King strode from the throne room through a side entrance as though in a hurry to attend to other matters of import.

Before any of the Orders could leave, Alderman Gundar appeared through the entrance that the King left through and stood beside the throne, looking out over the mass of faces.

"There was a final affair which must be dealt with, the attack of the one of the Gauntlets known as..." he looked down at a scroll in his hand "Zekic, on a Silvermist by the name of Saeros. His majesty has not forgotten the incident, but feels that it being at the time under joint Silvermist and Griffon jurisdiction, that the matter should be handled by those parties. However, because the assault was against a Silvermist member, he asks that the Griffons alone consider the implications, announce and undertake appropriate punishment. Please let his Majesty know when you have determined his fate."

With this, the Alderman retreated back through the portal he had appeared through, and it was clear that the Order brethren had been dismissed.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 1:40 am

As the throne room started to empty Iskar sought out Sir Aranor and congratulated him on his acquittal.

Would you honour us by attending a small festive reception at our quarters tonight?, he then continued. I plan to invite most other knights, too, so we can clink glasses to your innoncence.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 8:06 am

Sir Azrael just nodded politely at the judges and went to his seat. A small thought crossed his mind: would the Dawn Grandmaster take this personally? He himself bore no grudges, nor hated anyone in the room. He just couldn't.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Aranor smiled

"I would be honored to go. We can also chink glasses to your defense eh?"

Behind the smile, Aranor was relieved, he was found innocent. "Praise Astraea" he thought to himself
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Aranor's Trial   IC Scene: Aranor's Trial - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

IC Scene: Aranor's Trial
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3