An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Regarding the Throne Room Outcome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Regarding the Throne Room Outcome   Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:25 pm

So, as most of you will have noticed the throne room outcome caused passions to run rather high, both in public as well as behind the scenes. But it is not only the Griffon plot and its outcome that needs to be addressed and therefore I wish to speak about a more general issue first:

It has come to our attention and was already mentioned some times by players, that this throne room event ended up causing more bad blood or at least a feelings of discontent than we would have thought. I had a closer look at what transpired in the respective backrooms during the event and basically found two rather different approaches to this new kind of event. One was strictly RP-centred confining all sorts of coordination and plotting to IC scenes between the sessions, the other was OOC based, with extended discussion about general subjects at hand as well as council issues going on regardless of whether the council was in session or not. These OOC threads started as discussions unrelated to current issues, but several of them developed into real time analysis and commentary of the ongoing council sessions, including even attempts to tell other players what best to say next in council for the optimal effect on the IC debate. This may sound rather damning, but it has come to our attention that this kind of literal meta-gaming (not to be confused with the Manifest Destiny "metagame") was not completely intentional but rather developed under the given circumstances: This event was the first non-cooperative one with actual political implications and with the eastern coalition's power looming in the east as well as their representative on the chairman's seat I do admit it might have been hard to simply and strictly play one's character IC without existential fears for one's order, whether the fears concerning the eastern coalition are justified or not (since this kind of question usually does not count for political motivations in cases of restricted access to information). While this led to a certain tendency to 'play to win' instead of playing one's characer on the one side, the strict RPers on the other side were most likely a bit naive in this regard and underestimated the subjectively perceived threat.

Concluding this first point: This is a roleplay game, i.e. you should play your character, but this being a game winning and loosing are integral parts of it and though it is frowned upon to just 'play to win', it is completely fine to 'play your character to win' and actually exactly what yields the most fun and thrill.

Now for the second point which goes more into detail and concerns the particular outcome of the throne room event. First the facts: We resolved to use a weaker version of the noble bomb as suggested by Mordred himself right after the outcome was announced and the discussions started. Furthermore it turned out that a certain assumption regarding the Griffon plot could not be upheld: If you check the thread once more you will find that no Griffon noting down anything was mentioned until Darlion arrived, which was way after the discussions on the 'Free City' and after most if not all quotes used for the plot were uttered. Therefore the nobles recieved letters by the Griffons claiming the other orders had said certain things, which is less believable than literal quotes. For that reason we think that the weakened noble bomb is a sensible solution to this issue. It includes slighty weakened influence and relation hits, only a -0.1 loss in noble relations for all orders, Wulfric does not expel the orders, but is counted towards the group with the heaviest influence hit and Aelfwine still does expel the orders and in his case without weakened conditions, which we think would fit his personality. You can see the details in the outcome thread where they were just edited in. The letter by Aelfwine has been removed since it basically consisted of the literal quotes he will not have had access to. If necessary we will supply a changed version or maybe just a list of what information it contains, if that suffices. I am sorry we had to rule over certain aspects of this plot, but it was inevitable since we found the corresponding roleplay to be rather fragmentary.

We hope that with this compromise solution we all will be able to move on soon with the events to ensue after this dramatic throne room meeting and what I would like for us to remember for the future is to stick to the basic rule of "No RP consequences without previous RP actions." and to remember that this was, even after a year, still something rather new to most of us and we are all here for our personal fun and leisure. Therefore, please be forgiving if you felt wronged at some point in this event, we will do everything we can to ensure a continued and pleasant roleplay experience.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Regarding the Throne Room Outcome   Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:50 am

I don't need to spell it out, it's obvious what occurred here.

I alone am responsible for the OOC commentary. Everyone else, and I do mean everyone else, avoided giving substantive responses.

Last edited by Isabel Tenorio on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removal)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Regarding the Throne Room Outcome   Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:20 am

There, edited.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Regarding the Throne Room Outcome   Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 am

A rewriting/update and sticking (or supersticking) of the roleplayer's guidelines would be convenient now. Perhaps something attached to the Welcome Thread.

EDIT: Something succint, ten commandments' style, sounds didactic enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Regarding the Throne Room Outcome   Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 am

Edited:

Let's just forget this. No point in arguing anymore

Last edited by Sir Aranor on Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Regarding the Throne Room Outcome