An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Just talking - archived

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 am

What's a Gui? Game-user-interface? Flash things?

Map draft. Red dots are castles, blue doodles are villages:
Spoiler:

Board draft:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:55 am

Graphical User Interface. Essentially make it interactive, put the calculation behind the scenes, add a turn button, etc. General video game stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 am

Looks complex... I like it Very Happy

If you have a manual ready, I'll take a look, might even be able to come up with some suggestions from my experience of running this thing, heh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:51 am

I would suggest taking a look at the Game of Thrones board game for some mechanic ideas. It has supply bases as well as influence/power tokens which are useful for various mechanics, and it's all fairly simple despite how I will butcher it here. It helps give the feel of a civil war rather than each faction being totally independent.

The base combat is simple, non-random and with a very direct 'what is my opponent going to do' choice. For combat, each unit has a value (infanty 1, knights 2, ships 1, siege towers are 4 if they are attacking a castle, otherwise 0). The total is counted up and then each player picks one of their leader cards to play. Each card has an additional value, and most have some kind of special feature. They also handle unit destruction based on which card is chosen. So long as the defeated units have a friendly or neutral province to retreat to, they are not destroyed at the end of combat... except when cards intervene. Some cards have blades, and others have towers. For every blade the winner's card has, the loser must destroy one unit. However blades can be cancelled by towers on the loser's card. Units that have already retreated once that turn do not take part in combat and are destroyed if they are in another losing battle.

The supply determines how many armies/navies you can have. Basically, a single unit doesn't count against supply, but two or more count as an army. The levels of supply are basically you can have one army of 3 units, and two armies of 2 units. It makes it more interesting as the supply doesn't limit how many troops you can have, just how effectively you can use them.

Influence/power is where the game really shines. There are influence tracks that give various bonuses. The holder of the Iron Throne makes their moves/orders/decisions first every round, as well as decides how to settle ties for influence bids and such. There is a fiefdom track which gives a sword that can be used to add +1 to one battle per turn, additionally the order of factions on this track determines ties in combat. The King's Council gives other bonuses. Every now and then players bid their influence for these.

Inevitably after an influence bid, the wildlings attack. Players all bid secretly, but their bids are added together to determine if the wildlings are defeated or not. If they are, the highest bidder gets a bonus. If they are not, the lowest bidding players take penalties.

It's a fun game, each aspect of it is quite easy to learn as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:54 am

please.. RISK is the best boardgame out there. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 am

Heathens.

Stratego beats all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:00 am

Risk is great fun too, but the randomness can be more frustrating than fun.

Like the last time I played it. I had a great alliance and we were on our way to total domination of the Eastern hemisphere... then he wasted massive armies trying to take the Japan. It was the last province of another player, who was down to about 5 soldiers. My ally wasted 15+ soldier armies not once, not twice, but three times before he gave up. Certainly that crazy randomness is part of the fun of Risk, but I prefer my games to be a little more predictable.

Kingmaker is probably my favorite strategy board game, but the combat is... bonkers. For each battle, you simply draw a card. The card tells you what your margin of victory is. Like you need 3:1 numerical superiority to win, or a simple majority. Each card also has noble names written on it, and those nobles die if they are involved in the battle, whether for the victor or the defeated. It creates quite a problem when you take a 900 soldier army into battle against a 500 soldier army and win... except you lose 700 soldiers because you just happened to have those nobles in your army.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:16 am

Sweet home Alabama!

..oh uhm.. Pendor boardgame sounds great, but I doubt I'll ever buy it.
And ten years from now I am rich.. very very.. rich and spend my time on my private yacht writing a book with my 70.000 dollar made-of-gold pen. (Why that last one? because I want it. )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laisha
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:21 am

That's...that's probably a sign that you need to check your priorities.

In part because a pen made of gold just wouldn't be that expensive. ...Or would it be by then? Would the dollar be a currency in te-- *head explodes*

Edit: Okay, maybe there are such things, but that doesn't stop them from being overpriced for the inherent value of gold!

Last edited by Laisha on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:26 am

Quote :
I would suggest taking a look at the Game of Thrones board game for some mechanic ideas. It has supply bases as well as influence/power tokens which are useful for various mechanics, and it's all fairly simple despite how I will butcher it here. It helps give the feel of a civil war rather than each faction being totally independent.

Precisely. I developed the core rules after I got the GoT board game, 2-3 weeks ago. It gave me the ideas for mechanics I was so desperatly looking for. Mine has supplies, but honor instead of influence tokens (for example, to use while bidding for the knighthood orders). Instead of the Wildling invasion, I changed it to Snake Cult/Mystm. barbarian/Herectic/Noldor/Jatu, and increased the frequency. That with the action tokens was genius idea and of course I'm using it too.

I'll organize the concept document later today.

For the moment, here's a summary (I'm claiming the right of ignoring grammar):

The continent of Pendor is in disarray. Four kings have established powerful kingdoms, but none has indisputable claim as the sole regent of the land. They fight each other for supremacy in what seems to be an endless war – only occasionally punctuated by brief peace treaties.

But there are other forces at forces at play.
A recent/old prophecy, foretelling that a hero will arise to unify the land and bring peace to the people, has motivated countless overconfident young adventurers to take up arms and try their luck in Pendor - all of them meeting only their doom.
To the south, a new organization, the Red Brotherhood, plans to establish a parallel merchant society, and is constantly trying to infiltrate its members for the single purpose of making profit.
And there is also the constant threat of invasion, either by foreign armies or by ill-documented tribes/factions living in the far reaches of Pendor, with purposes known only to themselves.
These are indeed troubled times, and only the wisest may succeed - through clever use of diplomacy, gold and steel.

There are three character roles for the players:
4 kings: must simply keep his kingdom up and stable, and prevent others from doing so. Must survive the hero, the invasions, and the other kings.
1 adventurer: must rise to power and claim the throne as the sole regent of Pendor.
1 outlaw: must spread his espionage and business network throughout the realm.

The Hero: You are the unifier of Pendor foretold by the prophecy. Or so you believe. You want to unify the land and bring to an end the endless wars that cause so much suffering to the people. Accompanied by only your honor and a small band of followers, you will rise to power and crown yourself king. There will be a day when none will be able to question your power. On that day, all will yield to you. That day will be the birth of a new, unified Pendor.

[why would you be The Hero? The path to power is a steep one, especially when you want to thread it honorably. The Hero can use his fame to draw people to his cause, as well as the honorable aura of his character to compete with kings themselves.]
Description: you are the epitome of the hero. By slowly winning support from the people and the highborn, you will rise to power – from a small warband to a massive army –, and carve your way to the throne.

The Outlaw: Having lived in the poorer districts of Sarleon, you know that the current system will never privilege the poor strata of the society – you have to take matters on your own terms. And if your life in the alleys has taught you anything, is that gold speaks louder than steel – it can make even the strongest guards yield and turn a blind eye for you. Gold is power, and, like everyone else in Pendor, you love power.
An early successful career in the trade of taking from the rich and selling to another rich has drawn attention of a group of merchants, who state they wish to use their money to create a new Pendor: a Pendor where business is easy and accessible even for those at the slums; a place where everyone who cooperates can have his share. Those merchants call themselves “The Red Brotherhood”, an innovative association that uses gold and dagger to a single purpose: to do good business.

[why would you be The Outlaw? His crimes are actually the result of his not clinging to outdated aristocratic concepts of nobility, serfdom, violence and slavery – in essence he just wants to profit. He has contacts in the underworld, which makes him the perfect choice for espionage matters. And he can solve problems with something else than just raw strength. He thinks killing his enemies is unnecessary: when possible, he just make them poorer.]

Description: by using spies, clever merchants, and sometimes thieves, you create a “kingdom within the kingdom”: you spread you network throughout the realm, sell your service to other kings (if it means good business!), and amass a fortune large enough to buy yourself a crown.

The King: Pendor is threatened by chaos. People pretending to hold noble ideals take up arms against their rightful kings, and cause more harm than what they say to be trying to avoid. You, as the rightful heir of a long line of nobles, have the duty to ensure stability for the kingdom and for the lords who serve you. You must keep your people safe from the constant invasions, free from the corruption of the rascals of the Red Brotherhood, and free from the revolutionary ideals of wannabe heroes. “Tradition”, your father used to say, “is what keeps the world together”. Indeed, tradition is sacred, and your kingdom will prevail.

Description: you will do everything you can to prevent your kingdom from shattering. You will keep your kingdom safe, while occasionally pruning the power of other kings, so that they don’t pose a threat to your people. If things become dire, you will even hire the spies from the Red Brotherhood.

[why would you be The King? Although The King has more challenges, he also has more means of solving them. He can use knighthood orders, commander cards, and can mobilize armies for free.]

Short descript (use pictures instead of the names!):
The King: protecting his people and his ancestors’ traditions at all costs.
The Outlaw: your humanist thief. He does not kill: he would rather control his foes by other means.
The Hero: your overconfident warrior-poet, building a new Pendor by sharp steel and intense charisma.

Last edited by Saeros on Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:31 am

Laisha wrote:

In part because a pen made of gold just wouldn't be that expensive.

I sadly can't find a link to it.. but it was awesome! Specialli made by a famous jeweler.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:54 am

I'd play that game. Seriously. Sadly, 3 people might not be enough but, meh.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:58 am

The idea of having different kinds of players is very interesting, but there are lots of ways for that to go wrong. Your balancing/playtesting is going to have to be extreme... once you pull it off though... cheers

That said, it sounds AWESOME! I would love for an extra faction to be tossed in... the Jatu. They are basically there to mess with the other players and make sure they all fail. I'm sure that would be a nightmare within a nightmare to balance, but the idea sounds nice! >.>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:59 am

I'll play it. When do you plan to release it? Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:01 am

Iskar wrote:
I'll play it. When do you plan to release it? Very Happy

I challenge you to a game, Iskar!

Also Carthage Silvermist should be destroyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:09 am

Ceterum censeo Anam Sulranem tacendam esse.

Last edited by Iskar on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:11 am

Iskar wrote:
Ceterem censeo Anam Sulranem tacendam esse.

Just because you use a cooler language doesn't mean you can copy me! >.>

Furthermore, the Silvermist must be destroyed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:22 am

You copied Cato in the first place. I'll send Scipio to get you for that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:24 am

Scipio Schmipio.

I'll summon Marcus Aurelius.

He'll kill you, justify it, and manage not to feel anything one way or another!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:29 am

This takes the shape of a Roman Emperor-Pokemon game...

I call Hadrian!

Hadrian attacks with building a wall. Nothing happens. Neutral

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:37 am

I'll go one further and dip into my Eastern Roman Empire expansion deck.

I call Empress Theodora!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:43 am

Quote :
3 people might not be enough but, meh.

3 to 6 people. There are four kings. The adventurer and the outlaw were added in case there'd be not enough players, but they ended up being really awesome and later became the center of the game.

Quote :
I'll play it. When do you plan to release it?
When you've bought your house in Kent Very Happy
Serioulsy, this is my schedule:
1) finish map
2) finish rules
3) do graphic stuff (knighthood orders banner; tokens; faction banners, etc)
4) post it in Aftermath for everyone to playtest.

Between (2) and (3) I'll PM Saxondragon. If he allows me to use Pop's theme, then I'll consider assembling a small team, since I'm not an artist. If not, then I'll just make it a less attractive print-and-play. Whatever the case may be, I'll give it to you when it's finished.

Anyway, your interest has given me the motivation to work better at it. I'm about to send Mordred a copy of the revised rules. Would you like to take a look? Just PM me your e-mails and it'll be yours by nightfall (in UCT -3) Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:44 am

Aelos calls Cleopatra's son Ptolemaeus XV Caesarion
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:56 am

I call the barbarian migration. That beats all emperors.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:01 am

Not the Eastern Empire! They started using it to their advantage... excluding the momentary failures with the Bulgars.

And that whole fourth crusade fiasco... <.<

Either way, Caesaropapism FTW!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   

Back to top Go down

Just talking - archived
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next