An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Just talking - archived

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:02 am

I summon Aurelian. He beats EVERYTHING.

The Eastern Roman Empire used the migration to cause the breakdown of the WRE. Not so good.

Also, the migration was only a huge problem because of Theodosius, allowing the Goths to keep weapons and stay together, setting the precedent for failure. Of course, it's all the Huns' fault.

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

"Manny! Manny to the rescue!"
-The war cry of Baron Walter de Masny

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:32 am

I prefer to blame the Chinese. I'm sure there was a link somewhere.

I'm still disappointed that Imperator Online was cancelled, and that was like 7 years ago.

What could be better than Rome... in space?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:58 am

Ana Sulran wrote:
I prefer to blame the Chinese. I'm sure there was a link somewhere.

Chinese are to blame for the Mongold/Golden Horde/etc. The Huns just randomly appeared.

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

"Manny! Manny to the rescue!"
-The war cry of Baron Walter de Masny

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Question for Ana (and others who also play the Game of Thrones board game):

- How would you make that game better?

Also: I need a PM with Aranor's and Kamos' stats and chosen weapon. Pick as many as you can carry in your hands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSane
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:52 pm

I need Pms too from caranthir and diablo dude
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:57 am

I think that game is at the right level currently. Nothing is coming to mind at the moment to purely improve the game without adding to the complexity. More event cards would be nice, as for some reason everytime a Clash of Kings is drawn, there is a wildling invasion right after.

Adding foreign trade might make for an interesting addition with minimal complexity. Since you can currently keep ships in port to add extra influence tokens because they are 'trading' why not add locations in Essos that are for a similar purpose but give different benefits? For instance, the Iron Bank of Braavos providing an extra recruitment slot at your main city or something. You would have to place a ship at this tradeport, and if someone wishes to take it from you, they must bid against you with influence tokens. The same idea could work in Pendor with Mettenheim and Veccavia and such.

Last edited by Ana Sulran on Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling=bad)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:59 am

DrSane wrote:

I'm pretty much waiting on Caranthir's stats and such so I can discuss strategy with him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:00 am

DiabloDude wrote:
DrSane wrote:

I'm pretty much waiting on Caranthir's stats and such so I can discuss strategy with him.
WP1 SK3 SP3, he posted them in Kingdom's Finest.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:02 am

Pravenstern wrote:
DiabloDude wrote:
DrSane wrote:

WP1 SK3 SP3, he posted them in Kingdom's Finest.

Oh? Thanks for the heads up, I must have read over his post, or missed when he posted them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSane
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Caranthir, Az, Serious, and Diablo, feel free to start Roleplaying directly in Arena three, talking to eachother and whatnot from a room where your all together, just while i wait for the final stats to come in. Dont worry, McKeen will keep you informed of when the battle begins.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSane
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:58 am

Quote :
I think that game is at the right level currently [...] etc.

Thank for the idea of foreign trade, Ana. I guess several elements will have to be included as optional modules, to keep the game simple. I've even removed the ships. If this game ever works out, I'll attempt a purely economical version: trading with Veccavia and Mettenheim, managing goods, creating business enterprises, dealing with raiders, etc. Although I think The Eagle and the Radiant Cross will be a better theme than Pendor for that (or PoP 4, who knows?). I'll need some economists to help me with that.

Just one more question:

Instead of making the supply feature automatic, I've created the requirement of a supply route, that is: there must be a supply route from any player or ally-owned town to your army. This is done by placing gold tokens on the board, making a straight line between town and army. It should represent the maintenance costs of having an army too far away from its homeland, and also the maintenance of caravans and commerce routes that bring goods to the soldiers (the supply route has also a commercial function: it can be raided or used in random commercial events).

That line of gold tokens can be broken by a third party, thus damaging the supplied army. I haven't tested this yet, but I believe this will work very well for game balance, because:

a) it may prevent any player of becoming overpowered and ruining the game (e.g. Ravenstern conquering the entire Fierdsvain will be extremely costly in terms of supply).
b) and it makes even underdog players a serious threat, since they can still make lightning raids to your supply routes and thus
slowly destroy your army, or allow a third party to destroy it for him.

Now my question: what are your thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:03 am

With supply routes required, players will have to plan a 'campaign' instead of taking advantage of whatever openings are required. If an army can't move into an unsupplied area, it makes encircling a much easier and more common tactic. In order to make it really effective though, you need to make the map rather large as well as having a lot of gold coins.

There is a risk that it becomes too expensive to wage a war, and so you end up with turn after turn of people just sitting still and waiting for an opportunity to strike. This can be fun for a little while, but eventually people won't want to bother playing since everyone just sits still while waiting for someone else to make a mistake. That is the flaw of Kingmaker, everyone holds up in their base of power and just kinda waits for something to happen... hopefully something they can take advantage of, otherwise they just remain still.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 am

I see. But then again, there will be the outlaw, the adventurer, and the invaders stirring things up.

Then perhaps not custom supply routes, but static ones, already drawn on the board. Or maybe supply areas (e.g. eight hexes around Sarleon). I'll think about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:16 am

I don't think it's a bad idea, I think it's rather awesome actually.

It just makes it much harder to balance the game, as you need just the right amount of provinces, in addition to the right income... and then you have to balance the two to make it work out right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:23 am

Would anyone be interested in a small and potentially boring character-driven 'event' to take place in a pocket time away from the current mini-events?

Specifically, I have in mind Ana hosting a little fox hunting near Sulran. I have a few things that could be thrown in to make it a little more interesting, but mainly this would just be a way to have some inter-order RP and let various characters meet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSane
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Merzinas is always ready to mingle!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm in! Aelos is a terrible hunter, but it could still be fun :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 am

/excessiveposting

Was the change to not allow everyone to post in the Throne Room an intentional one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 pm

I noticed in the literature thread that a lot of people tend to make their own Astraea prayers and beliefs.

Is it perhaps time that we make an official thread about that and combine all these personal ideas into one big one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrSane
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:19 pm

We made one didnt we about the astraeain church
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:43 pm

Ana Sulran wrote:
/excessiveposting

Was the change to not allow everyone to post in the Throne Room an intentional one?

For some reason it was turned off. Should be able to now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:21 am

Wow, I just got scared by Big Brother, i.e. the internet and in particular ad-bots. I noticed the advertisement shown between the logo on top and the actual board usually fit the general subject of the thread you opened, if a particular one can be identified.

In the Literature thread there were ads for ebooks as well as publishers of books, my thread about Guédelon, where I mentioned my holiday in France in the first post advertised holiday houses, the football thread had car ads (same customers), and so on. Shocked

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Isabel Tenorio
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:22 am

Be careful, Iskar.

The Matrix is learning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 am

Maybe I can kill the Matrix by posting enough stuff about a constructivist approach to reality that renders it caught in eternal self-recursion.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   

Back to top Go down

Just talking - archived
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 39 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next