An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Nal Tar, City of Spice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:08 am

The journey had been longer than Celdiur had expected, though surprisingly tame given the once perilous deserts and plains that he had journeyed through. Admittedly he spent more time in High Pass than he had intended, however a particularly heavy snowfall had rendered the road nigh on impossible to navigate, and thus he had enjoyed the hospitality of the Griffons for the best part of a week before moving on.

Upon passing through the great gates of Nal Tar, Celdiur couldnt help but take an instant liking to the city. From its tightly packed city streets to the noise of grand marketplaces and merchants arguing over the prices of the now tightly regulated spices of the area, he recognised something all too familiar. Just like Singal, he thought to himself, without such a great risk of a knife in my back...

He found himself a respectable looking inn just off the main market square, found safe housing for his warhorse Accalon, and headed of into the city in search of the richer districts of the city. He was hear to treat with Duke Hamid, however he knew very little of the man he would be dealing with, and thus he hoped to gain some information from the nobility of the city about their ambitious ruler.

And a gift. Aye, a well thought out gift would go a long way to smoothing out the negotiations. He would enquire as to his tastes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm

Inquiring about the city led Celidur to much conflicting information about the Duke's tastes. It was generally agreed that Hamid had a strange affection for spice, and that he had entire rooms of exotic foodstuffs in which he would frolic, even burning the luxuries and inhaling the smoke. Some of the more reputable-seeming merchants told Celidur that Hamid liked to know people appreciated his power with expensive gifts. Another, less popular piece of information was that the Duke greatly enjoyed smoking.

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

"Manny! Manny to the rescue!"
-The war cry of Baron Walter de Masny

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:17 am

A spice baron whos greatest love is...spice. Who would have thought it...

Celdiur had brought a sizable sum of money with him from Singal, a gift generously given by the Grandmaster himself for the purposes of the negotiation. Using this wealth, Celdiur explored the dense markets deeply until he fell upon a satisfactory gift; a batch of the finest shisha, and an elaborate new pipe to go with. Lets hope he appreciates the gesture.

With a gift in hand, Celdiur made his way towards the Duke's great castle in hope of beginning the negotiations. Upon arriving he informs the stewards of his journey and the intentions that he brings with him, before settling down to wait patiently within the Great Hall to be summoned. All the while hoping that news of his coming had already reached the Duke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:02 pm

Within a surprisingly short time, given the Duke's importance, Celidur was invited to enter. As the herald announced the Eventider, he got a look at the room. Hamid was accompanied by a few scribes and advisors, who constantly whispered back and forth, but everyone looked up as Celidur was introduced. A representative from the Eventide had obviously been anticipated.

There was silence, and the assembled men looked expectant.

"As the plague hit Paris and killed thousands, in England the king held a series of splendid tournaments. In mid-February he was jousting at Reading, then later that month at Bury St Edmunds, where he appeared dressed in a huge bird costume."

Project X-Ray: A US army project to strap incendiary bombs to bats and release them over Japan. The plan was abandoned after the bats escaped and destroyed a hangar and a general's car in New Mexico.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:19 am

Celdiur made his way to the center of the hall, the box containing his gifts cradled in both arms. Reaching the centre, he dropped to one knee, placed the box down at his front and placed a clenched fist over his heart. He bowed his head in respect, before looking up to hail his lordship.

"Hail Duke Hamid, Lord of Nal Tar, Merchant Prince of the Western Coast!"

Celdiur rose again to his feet before continuing.

"I bring greetings from his lordship Sir Azlanek of Tantal, as well as that of the Eventide as a whole. May Astraea watch over you and bless you always, my lord. This man before you is Sir Celdiur Moriendor, Knight-Chaplain of the Eventide, and a humble servant of both Astraea and the people of the realm"

He looked down then and, with an open gesture with both hands, brought the Duke's attention to the box at his feet.

"Please, my lord, consider this as a sign of our respect and admiration for his lordship, as well as the good faith between our two parties"

Celdiur went to a knee again and opened the box to display its contents to the Duke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:18 am

The Duke flicked his eyes to the box, and the corner of his mouth twitched for a moment in what could have been a smile. Standing, Hamid lifted out the contents and examined them before turning to Celidur.

You would be amazed how many hangers-on have been bringing me bags of spices. They all seem to have decided I am now a spice-crazed lunatic.

Well met, Sir Celidur of the Eventide. I would first give my thanks to your order for its efforts in protecting the D'shar from those who would harm its peoples, and for its support against these insane fierdsvain merchants. Now... what is it you wished to discuss with me? I have many matters at hand, so please try to make it succinct.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 am

Celdiur grinned at the Duke's words.

"Im afraid I will have to apoligise for their decision my lord. Alas, I fear it was I that gave them such an impression, for it was myself that proposed the increase of Nal Tar's trade power to the King's Council"

He paused to ponder his words for a moment, and then continued.

"The Eventide thanks you for the appraisal and the kind words, my lord. It is heartening to know that our Order still has allies in these troubled times. To strengthen our friendship further, the Eventide would place before his lordship a list of proposals to increase our cooperation and to better benifit the people of the D'Shar Steppes"

He paused again to ensure that the Duke had no objections to his words before continuing.

"You asked for my words to be succinct, and his lordship's request shall be granted. It has become a well known fact throughout Pendor that Nal Tar's new found monopoly of spice has made the city richer and more powerful than it has ever been in its history. However, with his lordship's permission, I would place forward the fact that it would not have been so without the aid of my own Order. It is true that you never asked for our aid, my lord, however we believe that the new powers we have granted to both yourself and the D'Shar have benifited the entire region greatly. On behalf of the Eventide, we would ask that his lordship consider granting us a fair discount on spice trading throughout the Shavanir and all of Pendor, as well as a place within The West Pendor Spice Cartel. With greater cooperation between our two parties, we will grow stronger still. The Holmgang League tremble before your power, my lord. Together, let us bring them into submission before The West Pendor Spice Cartel, and establish a new order upon the Western Coast!"

"Another matter I would bring before his lordship is that of our increasingly strict border policies. Due to increased and more fervent attacks from tribal raiders and bandits, as well as undue interference from parties out with the Steppes, the Eventide has taken it upon itself to close our borders to all other Orders of the land, save from a few designated routes granted to the Griffons and the Gauntlets. A harsh measure to be sure, but one that ultimately has been necessary to ensure the safety of the peoples of the Steppes and to better protect and monitor all trade leaving and entering our territory. Naturally, there are many who would frown upon our actions, but please understand, my lord Hamid, that we do so only in the best interests of our people and our desert home, and the results of our actions have already proved beneficial to the region as a whole. We would humbly request that his lordship recognise and support our policy, so that any doubts held by others may be put to rest"

Celdiur paused again, a look almost akin to confusion upon his face, but in reality it was one of deep thought.

"And with your permission, my lord, I would ask of you my own request. It is true to say that the past of the Eventide has been an arduous one at best. For many years we were outcasts, feared, no better than brigands to most. We have been branded heretics and non believers and hunted by those that would call themselves servants of the gods. The city of Singal however, as well as the D'Shar as a whole, gave us a place that we could call home, and feel proud to do so. Here in these deserts we have prospered and flourished once again, growing as strong with the people as we are with the sword. It is belief among many of our Brothers that we owe a great debt to these lands, and I myself am no exception. I am but a humble priest, my lord, but even I cannot deny the power that our faith has had over the people of Singal. They rise, as if it gives them strength and a renewed purpose. And it has given me an unflinching belief that ours a just and true cause, no matter what others may say. I would ask that his lordship recognise the legitimacy of the Eventide clergy here in Pendor. To give to us the knowledge that we have not been forsaken in this land. Give us leave to expand, to prosper, to expand to cities near and far. Let all know the message of the Eventide and we shall smile upon you always, my lord, and will forever have the blessing of our most holy goddess Astraea"

"Of course however, the Eventide do not presume to make demands of a man such as yourself, only humble requests. If his lordship has any counter proposals for my master, I will recieve them all warmly"

With that Celdiur bowed his head in respect and awaited a reply.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:14 am

Hamid listened to Celdiur's words then remained silent for a while, pondering his response.

Finally he began:
You granted Nal Tar its privileges? I doubt that. You may have advocated them if what you say is true, but they were granted by the king. I have imposed the regulations on the spice trade for the better of our people and merchants and if I start making exceptions everyone will start asking for those and the prices will drop. Yet, your support of the spice cartel would be valuable. In exchange for troops and ships I might consider a certain discount, say 1500 per tonne instead of 2000, as part of a recompensation. What manpower and how many ships can you provide?

As for the border policy, I think it is wise to keep people who do not understand the D'Shar ways from messing with us too much. I am inclined to support your policy if you impose stronger regulations on the Griffons who have so presumptuously opposed my spice decrees.

Now for the clergy. He paused for a moment, stroking his beard trimmed in the traditional D'Shar style. I have never involved myself into the business of the temples and churches and I do not intend to change that. I myself am a follower of Vata, but that is all to it. I neither debate nor grant legitimacy of any clergy, though so far I have not even heard of a remarkable clergy affiliated to your order. I say, build a chapel here at Nal Tar such that we might get to know your kind better, then we shall see what comes of it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 am

The usually composed Sir Celdiur felt a tinge of embarassment as he recalled his words. "Granted" certainly wasnt the right word for the situation.

"Forgive me, your lordship. A poor choice of wording on my part. The Eventide would never attempt to undermine the authority of the King by granting anyone such power. I can ensure his lordship that any offense caused by that statement was unintended"

Taking a moment to compose himself again, Celdiur started again in a more comfortable manner.

"I must say that I am deeply pleased by your words, my lord. Rest assured that the Eventide will not forget your support. A position for us within the cartel is a wise and profitable move for all involved I believe. My Order can provide more than enough men to support trade across the Shavanir and beyond, perhaps even many a caravan of our own. Alas, however, the Eventide has no ships to speak of as it stands. A problem easily remeded though I can ensure you. We have never had much need to take to the high seas, but now we have been given reason to we will be able to provide as many ships as his lordship demands. Just say what it is you need, and you shall have it. Warships? Galleys? Trade Cogs? We will provide all"

Puzzled now, he spoke again.

"I struggle to find ways to place any stricter regulations upon the Griffons as it is, my lord. Already the are confined to but one heavily guarded route between their territories for communication purposes, as are the Gauntlet. Is this sufficient in your eyes, or must more be done?"

"I am indeed pleased that you would allow the Eventide clergy to establish itself here within Nal Tar. Rest assured my lord. You will not be disappointed by the positive impact they will have upon your city. I will ensure that personally"

He stepped backwards slightly to indicate he was finished. He bowed, and finally added.

"If his lordship has anything that he would ask of the Eventide whilst I am here, I am more than happy to hear of your requests"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nal Tar, City of Spice   

Back to top Go down

Nal Tar, City of Spice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1