An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Calendar thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Calendar thread   Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:29 am

Keeping time in Pendor had been an intuitive process until some months ago, when the 4-5 major events became 10, then +20 minor ones. Once things started to get complicated and several actions began to be taken in several different places and at different times, it became really hard to keep track of time.

Right now the only way of determining when a given action was taken is to follow its logical precedents, often going throught different boards and threads to do so. Often, too, those precedent causes are unclear, and we can't be sure when exactly something happened.

Recently there was an issue in voice of the nobility, in which a carefully designed if/then tree for a lord had to be dismantled due to my flawed interpretation of a given sequence of events. This had happened before in a lesser scale (in which occasions I have also pointed out the need for a calendar), and if nothing is done it will keep happening again.

So I propose we use dates to locate our actions in time. Let me suggest something.

Year: I have no idea in which year the unification was completed. So I thought that Mordred, knowing that those who control the time control history, resetted the calender and started a new one. Years began to be counted from the year of unification. So " 5 U" is year 5 after the unification, 20 U is year 20 after the unification, etc.

Month: metagame actions are done on month basis, renamed Turn. If I got it right, we are currently in S2 T2 (Season 2 Turn 2). A season has 3 months, and an year has 4 seasons.

Week: this is the part that really matters for small actions. A turn/month has 4 weeks. This means that, when sending out an army or travelling to meet a certain lord, one should specify the week in which that has happened. For the sake of simplicity, we can assume that every action of a player takes one week to be carried out (except for lettes, speeches, or other insignifican stuff). In that week we include travelling times, preparation times, sleeping hours, etc.

For example: right now we are at 2 U, S2 T2, Week 1.

I, RPing a character named Character, decide to go on a skirmish against local outlaws. So, when I'm on that mini event, I post 2 U, S2 T2, Week 1 in the heading.

Later, I decide to meet with Justus Dux to talk about those outlaws, becase they were wearing eventide tabards. So at the heading I post 2 U, S2 T2, Week 2

In this way everyone will know that there is a chronological sequence between those events. In my first action I write Week 1, and in the second I write Week 2, even if I RPed them in the same RL evening.

---

Now, that is the idea. But we can surely make something less mechanical than that. Instead of using the S2 T2 designator, how about we use colors to determine the season? So Red Season is summer, Green season is spring, Yellow is autumn, and blue is winter.

And how about using fancy names for the number of the month? So month 1 is Primus, month 2 is Secundus, etc.

So
2 U, S2 T2, Week 1
becomes
2 U, Red Season, Secundus, Week 1

Other examples (also showing that historical events can use the calendar, thus improving immersion):

"The Monument of Victory was completed in - 12 U, Blue Season, Primus, Week 3"
"The order of the Clarion Call was founded in -233 U, Green Season, Secundus, Week 4"
"Grandmaster Mastifus died at 30 U, Yellow Season, Tertius, Week 1"

So, shall we use it?

Last edited by Saeros on Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Calendar thread   Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:01 pm

When does PoP 3 begin, from there I can tell you when Unification occurred. I agree that some kind of timeline is essential though, too many misunderstandings are occurring at the moment.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Calendar thread   Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:21 am

year 354 after the founding of Pendor

Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Calendar thread   Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 am

Lets imagine that PoP3 started with a 16 year old Mordred, he was about 36 when Pendor was finally unified. Therefore it is 374 when Aftermath began (so PoP4 starts in 399).

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calendar thread   

Back to top Go down

Calendar thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1