An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Another Retirement Post

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Azlanek
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Another Retirement Post   Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Hey fellows,

Basically, the title says it all: I am leaving Aftermath, both as a voice/gm and as player/grandmaster. It is rather hard for me to pinpoint why exactly. Many different factors come together, and I just arrived at a point where it simply does not feel right anymore. The trigger for this decisions was the feeling of a fractured community, of different camps not only fighting icly, but also holding grudges against one another oocly. I experienced this tension as incredibly tiresome, especially in my function as a voice, where I frequently found myself thinking about not causing any more drama between the camps more than about the noble I was about to play and his reaction itself.

Another reason is certainly my lack of interest in the metagame. It is a huge part of the stories that are told here, and even though I would still like to be a part of the future of those stories, I now think there is little sense in trying if you don't care about the medium through which half of the project is handled. This might work for just playing your character, but as soon as you do anything that will affect your order as a whole, you will have to translate those actions into the metagame. I am not saying that this is 'bad'. It's just not my thing, not in the context of the political rp in a unified Pendor. In a more conquest oriented setting, let's say 2 or 3 factions fighting for domination over a territory, I can actually imagine the system to be a lot of fun.

Maybe, as a last issue, one of my personal 'flaws' is that the more passionate I get about a setting, the more intolerant I get when it comes to interpretations varying from my own, and this results in only more struggles over which direction to take with the lore/rp. In this case more struggles I no longer want to participate in, while being too stubborn to simply let it take its course and move into directions that will make it less 'my Pendor' and more something else.

So I figured it was time to go. Thank you for everything, guys. It has been an honour. I will probably not disappear completely, and start haunting the forum as some kind of wraith. Nevertheless, take care.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kamos
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:53 pm

Can't blame you. Nice playing with you though our character never had much interaction.

View user profile
Sir Thash Kor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

You will be sorely missed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 am

Quote :
It's just not my thing, not in the context of the political rp in a unified Pendor. In a more conquest oriented setting, let's say 2 or 3 factions fighting for domination over a territory, I can actually imagine the system to be a lot of fun.

Pendor needs war. Aftermath was born of a warring context. The Manifest Destiny pressuposes war; and PoP 3, the mod we're used to and from which we have formed our conception of Pendor, also needs constant wars to work properly.

Pendor needs war, but doing that is not my role as the voice. It's the players who have to create the conditions for that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaric Reiner
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:01 am

I was under the impression that there was a lot of backroom warfare going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:03 am

That was only politics, and it never evolved to raw violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaric Reiner
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 am

Well, not yet. Warmongers like me can only hope. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:09 am

Alaric Reiner wrote:
If it is of any consolidation, griffons have some violent events in their Chapterhouse-IC. Including but not limited to throwing winecups and dropping giant stacks of hay on some naive squires.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:15 am

If the sacks were filled with killer bugs and you dropped them on your enemies, than we would have enough violence Very Happy

EDIT:
Quote :
Warmongers like me can only hope
Then join the Crimson Hunters!

Oh, wait, I haven't posted about them yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alaric Reiner
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:02 am

Pravenstern wrote:
Alaric Reiner wrote:
If it is of any consolidation, griffons have some violent events in their Chapterhouse-IC. Including but not limited to throwing winecups and dropping giant stacks of hay on some naive squires.

It certainly sounds like Tonedyr's having fun.

I'll keep an eye out for the Hunters too in that case Saeros.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pravenstern
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:27 am

To prevent this topic from derailing...

It is sad to see you leave, Azlanek, for it was interesting to RP with you. Still, I understand your decision.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ser Varys
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:46 am

Well, this is heartbreaking.

I understand why you made your decision, but I will still remember you fondly, and miss you alot. Take care, and good luck in all your future actions. It was great knowing you, even the little that I did, and you were an understanding (from what I've seen) and great GM/Voice.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:20 am

Well, those of you that are still around will have noticed that I have barely been online for the past time. This is due to me being now rather busy at university on the one hand and having come to a certain conclusion regarding Aftermath on the other hand. The first point is clear, so now for the second:

Ever since Saeros and Azlanek left I have mostly been running this by myself: Mordred had already reduced his activity, Tubby left silently due to being busy in real life and Aranor has been occupied with high school/college stuff as I understand, and I now find myself unable to spare to the time to give this roleplay the attention it deserves and requires. In short, I will resign from active roleplay as well as GM duty.

So, how should this continue? I doubt that anyone will be ready to take over the entire metagame stuff. In fact I did get the impression that I was the only one left who truly cared for the metagame, so I think not continuing it will hardly impede your roleplay.
For the more important matter of hosts I would like to point you towards the system we experiment(ed) with in the Kelredan event: Anyone whose character is not directly involved can take over as a host or to play certain NPCs. The only drawback would be that secrecy is significantly reduced, but I deem you all mature enough to deal with that.
If required I can provide you with a table showing the metagame "Status Quo", so you have a basis to work on in the roleplay.
If anyone volunteers I would pass on the admin rights, but the simple admin stuff itself (creating forums, giving access, etc.) is not that much work, so I could also lurk around and you write me a PM when you need something done.

So, finally, I have to say I did have a great time with you all and that playing, hosting and administrating Aftermath in the past two years was a great and valuable experience for me in which I learned a lot about the middle ages, devising games and rules and more or less presiding and communicating with a community, let alone - for me as a non-native speaker - the invaluable practice in free writing. Last but not least at all come all of you. I am thankful that I had the opportunity to get to know such formidable people in this vague and inconstant place called the internet.
I'm rather sad about leaving you all, but you know they say that in life you always meet twice. The internet is not the life, but I think the analogous statement still holds.

Therefore: I'll see you Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 am

I am sorry to see you go Iskar, and I hope that you will remain in contact at least. You've done a great deal for Aftermath, probably more than any other person and certainly more than others are likely to realise. For myself, I just want to say thank you for your dedication and inspiration in making this work for so long, the dynamic you brought to the table I think brought a lot of life to this little game, and made it way more interesting and bigger in scope than I had foreseen when it was first started two years ago.

As to the meta game - I simply do not have the time or energy to maintain it myself, so I think it would be best if it was allowed to slip. Getting the status quo would be nice though, if only to see where all of our efforts led on the strategic level. Again thanks for holding out on it for so long, the meta game kept me interested for far longer than I otherwise would have, and I will treasure the many discussions we had while developing it.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 am

A sad thing for Aftermath, but we all know that all things eventually come to an end - sic transit gloria mundi and all that. I wish you success in your academic assignments as elsewhere, and I hope someone takes over Aftermath and keeps the story going for the remaining 18 pop-years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Nickolas
Squire

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 am

If I may ask, what will become of the minor event "Struggle for Kelredan"? While it is possible to do some improv. hosting, it seems we will be losing our main supervisor / GM for this event.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Thash Kor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:18 pm

What will become of the rest of Aftermath?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ser Varys
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:46 pm

That is sad to hear Iskar, and I hope that you continue to be a part of Aftermath, even if it isn't directly. Those noble debates were really interesting and fun to have. If no one else really steps up, I'd be willing to take up admin just to save aftermath and keep interest going. Might not be the best candidate (with the work I have to do) but I think it'll be worth it.

I hope you continue to excel in your university work, and I'm sure many others are sad to see you go. I hope you have a great many future successes, and who knows, maybe one day you'll decide to return, and I hope you do.

Good luck in whatever you put your mind to.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:30 am

Really sad to see you go Iskar. In my mind always been a perfect admin and host, and truly good internet friend so to speak, always polite, always helpful, always fair. I doubt that success and happiness can run from man with such qualities,but yet lady luck on one's side never been unwanted.So good luck and even more importantly have fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:49 am

Thanks for the kind words guys, I do appreciate them.

As for the Kelredan event, I trust that the dynamic hosting will allow you to carry on with it. However, I did have a list of random events happening on certain days. Can I entrust you with it, Varys? Your character is still more or less neutral and not in a prominent position of power, so it should not cause any problems.
The other possibility would be me making a post full of spoilers that contain each day's events. The question is, whether you can actually restrain yourself to only look at those when the time comes.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tonedyr
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:54 am

I'm sorry to hear that you're retiring. Good luck in your future endeavours.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Haegon
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:11 am

Does this mean I can finally kill Mordred and take Sarleon for myself? After a shy 15 months of planning?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ser Varys
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:47 am

Iskar wrote:
Thanks for the kind words guys, I do appreciate them.

As for the Kelredan event, I trust that the dynamic hosting will allow you to carry on with it. However, I did have a list of random events happening on certain days. Can I entrust you with it, Varys? Your character is still more or less neutral and not in a prominent position of power, so it should not cause any problems.
The other possibility would be me making a post full of spoilers that contain each day's events. The question is, whether you can actually restrain yourself to only look at those when the time comes.

I'd be happy to do the random events. Heinrich is more of a passive character now.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 am

If no one minds me asking, who does that leave for Aftermath then? are any of the original GMs still active? And if not then whos taken their place?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordred
Dragon of the North

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:44 am

Sir Celdiur Moriendor wrote:
If no one minds me asking, who does that leave for Aftermath then? are any of the original GMs still active? And if not then whos taken their place?

I am still here, and check the forum from time to time and can handle simple board admin tasks, but I am no longer really active as a GM. If anyone wants to step up, then do make yourselves known. I must warn you though, it's not an easy role and chance of burn out is high. If you do want to help out, I highly recommend starting out as an event host, and seeing how that goes before taking on more responsibilities - it isn't for everyone though.

--

You are right to bring this topic up though, as quite honestly I do wonder if Aftermath has had its day, and whether we should just let it slide (with the exception of the still active Kelreden). We've had a darned good crack at this, and it has lasted far longer than I could ever have anticipated and perhaps its just better to let things finish and instead remember things as they were at the height of intrigue and interaction, rather than drawing the process out down to just one or two active players and thus nurture bad feeling.

Alternatively there is the option to pare down the roleplay to more manageable levels, and try to foster a more close-knit group of players rather than focus on entire Orders. Again though - this would need event hosts or referees in some capacity to keep things fair. As always I am open to other ideas.

Ultimately it's your decision though guys, as I said I will remain around to support but as of now, we are dangerously low on staff to keep things running beyond a single small event.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://zatobo.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Retirement Post   

Back to top Go down

Another Retirement Post
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next