Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Ser Varys Actions

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 10:00 am

Your dice are loaded! the bald man at the table near the door shouted, clearly angered.

They're not! the other one, short of stature and sly of look, replied, trying to sound indignant. All he achieved by that was the bald man going fully furious.

Yes, they are and I'll teach to try and cheat me! He lunged over the table at his opponent. Others joined the fight, whether on the side of one of the two or just on their own could not be told.
As Varys entered the Bankrupt Trader he had just enough time to dodge the heavy clay mug that came flying out of the throng.
It flew past him and crashed amidst some card players swirling the cards. The men immediately got in an argument about who had won the last trick and concluded the issue had best been settled by fists.
Quickly Varys and his men pushed their way through the crowd to the bar. The innkeeper seemed indifferent to half of his tavern fighting as long as the other half continued drinking and playing.

Jhez'kal Gharezi? Varys shouted into the innkeeper's ear, vainly trying to drown out the noise of the brawl. However, the many years of keeping a tavern seemed to have made the man an adept at lip-reading. He simply nodded and gestured them to follow him. Through a door behind the counter and down a short, dark a corridor he led them to another door. As he knocked at the door in a complicated pattern it was opened from the inside. The innkeeper just nodded to them to enter and hurried back to the taproom.

The room was dimly lit and scarcely furnished. Some men with crossbows stood in the shadows at the rear wall. In the centre there was a roughly carpentered table with two similarly crafted chairs, one of which was already occupied. Jhez'kal Gharezi was a wiry man with unsteady eyes and one hand always at his sword hilt. He spoke fast as if he was chasing his thoughts and being afraid they might elope before he would be able to voice them.

Ah, finally you have arrived, I had already been thinking...nevermind, please have a seat - oh, you don't mind my... friends there - he gestured to the men in the back of the room - ah, surely you don't, you have brought some friends, too, I see; a wise decision, these are dangerous times indeed, and that's what we are going to talk about, aren't we? We're at war with the slavers, not openly, no no, but down in the sewers; anyway, the heads you brought me were very nice and I want more of these. I know where to get them, but we're stuck down in the sewers, cannot take that damn barricade and keep loosing men; we must attack them overground, but we cannot risk a frontal attack, anyway, I heard you lodge at the Slaver's Broth, right in the enemy territory, so, what I want you to do - only if you want, that is, forgive my boldness - so if you please, you should gather information about the slavers, as you can move among them freely; we need to know their numbers, gathering places - oh, and have you perchance met any of their leaders yet? Ah, nevermind, you met that dwarf of theirs I believe, they are not all that small, you know, what was I saying? Ah yes, we need information first, then we can make plans to drive them out of this district.

He took a deep breath, perhaps even the first since he had started talking.

Whad'ya say?

Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 pm

May I ask what we can get in return? Ser Varys asked.

Not pausing, he continued on by saying, "If you would still do so, can the offer of the agreement we proposed to you still stand? Of course, we would do our part first. We both have a common goal, in eradicating the Slavers. All we require, is a map or a guide that would be given to us of the catacombs."

Varys grinned.

"As to what you said before, about the information gathering, we would be pleased to do this. I will try to get a report to you within a few days."

"One question, though. You mentioned a barricade down in the sewers. Would you mind explaining more about this, if you would be so kind?"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 8:34 am

Ah, well, you see, there were three tunnels leading from the north to the south of the district's catacombs, but two were blocked when their ceiling went down some time ago and now, the slavers have set up a large barricade in the third one. We cannot get past it and we cannot get into their backs, their men guard all entrances in the south fiercely, but, anyway, I will give you one of my men as a guide for the sewers, he was born there, knows them better than the daylight world, strange man..., oh, I fear I drift off the subject again, what was it? Ah, yes, I hope we will be cooperating after we drove out the slavers? Working for envy never did us any good and if I shall have the south of the district, well, Navid can have the north and you get our support and plenty of guides for the sewers. How's the sound of that?
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 20, 2011 10:14 am

"That sounds like an excellent idea." Ser Varys grinned. I am glad we have reached an agreement.

"One more thing before I take my leave. I would like to meet the guide, and speak to him personally. After that, I will get started on the information gathering right away."

Ser Varys stood up, preparing to leave.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 5:32 am

Haruch!, Gharezi said and a small man with pale skin stepped forward. He squinted his eyes as he stepped into the light and was permanently surrounded by the sewers' very special scent.

You will accompany our friends from now on, Gharezi told him. Haruch nodded.

So I think we talked about everything that needed ... talking, Gharezi concluded the meeting, let us not wait until our depart will be overdue, then. I hope we meet again soon.

He smiled and left the room with his men, excluding Haruch.
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 am

Varys looked Haruch in the eyes, and told him to follow him.

Varys left the building, and began the walk back to the Broth.

He walked for a bit with Haruch, with his men trailing behind.

"Tell me Haruch, where are you from? What do you like? Hobbies? Interests? I would like to know in detail. Tell me everything, for if what I think will happen is true, you will become one of my most valued men, and I would like to get to know you better. I may even tell you about my personal life."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 8:37 am

Haruch gave him a slightly suprised look.

Ain't much to know 'bout me, Ser, ye know.
Where'm I from? The sewers.
Wud I like? The sewers.
Me hobbies? The sewers.

Ye wanna know 'in detail'? Go down there and look.
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 9:56 am

Ser Varys smiled.

"Short, and to the point. Alright, you shall follow me from now on. Men, to the tavern!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting down at a table, Varys and Rocorad spoke in hushed tones.

"What's the best way to gather information, sir?"

"Spread the men in cells. Keep a few in the tavern, and send the rest to watch the surrounding area. Follow Slavers inconspicuously, and report to me what happens each day. I want to make this alliance worthwhile.

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 8:45 am

Rocorad returned the next day, again clasping a piece of parchment.

Haruch has been telling us a lot of things and with his help we have updated our map, Ser, look here:

Spoiler:

The spies say the entrance at the Moon and Lion is very well guarded. The other two entrances in the south are less fiercely defended. The slavers use to have the streets patrolled by bands of thugs though. We also heard whispers the slavers were gathering men at the Moon and Lion and preparing for something. Perhaps they want to strike first.
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 am

We must not let them. We must have the element of surprise, Varys said.

Here, listen up. I want you to send two cells to scout both of the entrances besides the one near the tavern. Tell them to observe everything, and talk with the locals. Also, tell them to be inconspicuous. I do not want them captured or questioned. Send people that haven't been seen before.

Varys reclined in his chair.

Also, send some cells to assassinate any remaining Slavers in this area. Send one cell to scout the Moon and the Lion.

Finally, send one cell on standby outside the Moon and Lion. They might come in handy...later...
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:07 am

Several hours later Rocorad brought the reports.

The derelict manor is lightly guarded by slavers. Haruch told us that the entrance there is but a narrow wooden stair in the basement. Most likely it will not hold the weight of more heavily armoured men, so only some light forces can enter the southern sewers there. The other entrance at the southern main basin however is bigger and would allow us to send armoured knights into the sewers. Yet, the whole area around is patrolled by slaver thugs that tend to bully everyone but the city watch patrol that inspects the main basin every day around six o'clock. Most of the slavers have gathered at the Moon and Lion by now, though they seem to be hesitating. Our men managed to kill a number of slavers thinning out their presence around this tavern, and now the local slaver boss here is worried and calling for support, but the slaver leader at the Moon and Lion has not reacted yet.

Navid has sent word, that he will provide men, too. 20 armed guildsmen are at our disposal and waiting in hiding in the sewers below the old church nearby. Gharezi is gathering all his men and waits for your plans.
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 11:48 am

Varys frowned. This would take some serious thinking.

Finally, after racking his brain for an applicable idea, he finally spoke.

Tomorrow, at around four, send 5 guilds-men and 5 squires to the derelict mansion. Tell them to scout the area for about an hour, then assassinate the Slavers silently and discreetly. They will have poison and other materials in order to make sure it is silent. Once they have secured the mansion, tell them to send a scout to the southern main basin, to see if the Slaver's there are still on watch.

Meanwhile, ask Gharezi if he could manage to let us pretend to be the city patrol, and send them to the area at around 6. I want a force of 9 8 knights and Haruch to go with them. Haruch needs to be kept out of harms way and shielded, he is there to guide. Once again, take out any Slavers there and this next part is crucial. They must send a runner back to the Old Church. At around six thirty, part of our forces (five to 10 guilds-men) will cause a diversion in the tunnel infront of the barricade. Tell them to make a big ruckus and sound like a full assault. Also, tell them to use fire arrows and smoke the area. Meanwhile, the rest of the Brotherhood forces we have will do a pincer movement from both entrances. They will then catch the Slavers from behind, and hopefully successfully break their morale. I will personally lead the derelict mansion mission, and will take part in the pincer attack. They will all be wearing face cloths to prevent against smoke and keep the air clean.

Finally, after all of this is said and done, I want to send my cells on a mission. They are to eliminate the remaining Slaver lords in this district, and any Slaver presence here as well.

Edit: You lost two knights when assassinating Shirwaz. So only eight left. ~Iskar
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:28 am

[OOC: I'll wrap things up a bit, so you can finally finish taking over this district.]

Gharezi happened to be in the possession of some old militia surcoats of a patrol that had once dared to inspect the Bankrupt Trader. Without interference from the slaver thugs the eight knights and Haruch, disguised as militiamen, reached the southern main basin access and descended into the sewers after sending word to the old church that everything had went fine until then.

Meanwhile Varys, Rocorad and the remaining guildsmen of Gharezi and Navid marched to the derelict manor, which they found cleared of slavers. It was there that they were reached by a messenger from the cell stationed outside the Moon and Lion. Obviously the slavers had become so nervous by the recent assassinations, that they had drawn together almost all of their men and started descending into the sewers as well.

Upon hearing this, Varys and his men hurried to get down the narrow stairs into the damp and stinky darkness of Singal's underground.
After a quick march down the southern main sewer they found themselves at the crossing where the central sewer went off to the north. Glancing around the corner, Varys could see the torches of the slavers shining upon about 50 men and a large wooden barricade.

Then a great noise arose in the central tunnel north of the barricade. Fire arrows came flying out of the darkness, hitting the barricade. However the wood was too damp to catch fire, so it just began to smoke immensely, slowly filling the tunnel with dense smoulder. The slavers were surprised and obviously hesitating. Some began to cough and hold pieces of cloth in front of their mouth and nose.

Rocorad looked to Varys, a questioning look on his face. What would he do?
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 04, 2011 11:42 am

Varys smiled. This was better than he had hoped. The slavers were off guard, and there was never a better moment to strike.

Send a runner to Haruch and the knights! Tell them to join us here, and we will start the fight! ((OOC: I'm guessing we have crossbows and about an even amount of men, maybe half of them carrying crossbows. ))

Men! Shoot your crossbows!

Quickly, the Red Brotherhood Guildsmen got into position and shot their crossbows, quickly putting them away after the first shot and drawing their swords. V arys also threw his remaining poisoned throwing knives. Without stopping to see if anyone got hit (This is to let you calculate the casualties etc. etc. ) , he yelled, "Charge!" And the mass of soldiers charged at the backs of the Slavers, and the single runner was sprinting to meet up with Haruch.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 4:44 am

20 bolts whizzed towards the slavers, killing some of them on the spot. Then the 30 men drew their swords and charged. The facecloths served them well and they were hardly affected by the thick smoke. Several slavers were caught completely off guard by their attack, but after the first attack the rest of them regrouped and backep up against the smoking barrier. Some guildsmen fell as the slavers fought more organised, but then their formation crumbled as the men from the north attacked from behind. When finally Haruch and the knights poured out of a barely visible sidetunnel to join the fray the slavers fell one by one until the last 17 of them surrendered.

Varys looked around. One of his squires and around ten guildsmen had fallen.

What shall we do with those that have surrendered, shall we take them prisoner or offer them to cooperate? asked Rocorad.

While Varys still pondered the question, Haruch suddenly said:

No prisoners in the catacombs. The have fought in the deep and they will win or die here. There must be blood, the tribute must be paid.

Then he vanished back into the shadows.

Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 5:11 am

Varys stopped and began to think.

If we take them as prisoners, we could make more money, but I would rather not let anyone know of my involvement here.

Varys turned, and said to Rocorad, "Take them as prisoners for now. Lets find Haruch and ask him what this is all about."

He then turned to his troops, and said, "Squires, take the dead and carry them out. See to it that they are given to the guildsmen for their burial rites, except for our squire. He shall be preserved, and I shall see to it later. Take 5 guildsmen to help you with the task."

He turned and said, "All my knights, and the remainder of the guildsmen, follow me. We shall take the Slavers prisoner, and find out what Haruch meant."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 9:59 am

Howevermuch they searched the tunnels near the barricade, Haruch was nowhere to be found, and they dared not venture farther into the sewers in fear of losing their way. So they returned to the Moon and Lion where a visibly content Jhez'kal Gharezi had already taken up residence. Khalerash Navid was also present.

Ser Varys, he said, our men already informed us of the victory down in the sewers. My congratulations!
When we saw all the slavers rush down, we quickly disposed of the remaining few guards they had left overground, and now the slavers are fully driven out of this district. We both have talked at length about the recent events. We were stuck for years here because Envy did not want to send decisive help, but with your help it only took us several days to get rid of the slavers. Also many of the poor are talking about that organisation of yours. Well, to cut a long story short, we would like to permanently cooperate with you and your men. Our conditions are that we keep undisputed control of the black market in this district and the taverns. In return we will keep order for you and - in our own interest - fight any other party trying to take control of this district. Deal?

Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Varys smiled. "This a most fortunate day, and I accept this deal."

Varys frowned, however. "There is only one issue though, as Haruch has run off into the catacombs, and we haven't found him of yet. I was wondering if he does this often, and he mentioned something about a tribute. He also wanted to kill these slaver prisoners," and Varys gestured behind him at the remaining slavers he had brought with him.

Varys smiled once again, and said, "I must be leaving. It has been good working with you, and I hope that this agreement stays for many long years into the future."

Varys gave his farewells, and turned to Rocorad.

"Rocorad, find the soldiers and tell them to meet here. We are leaving very soon. We will carry our dead, and I shall see to it that they are honored. ((the other preserved knight))
((I guess this is where you put in any last words? These are basically mine.))
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 12:35 am

Varys and his men soon left for the Chapterhouse with the prisoners. Haruch turned up there some days later but refused to answer any questions.

Summary:

District 13 is now under the control of the cabal of the twisted heart.
Two of your ten corrupted knights and one of your ten corrupted squires fell.
You took 17 slavers prisoner.
The expenses for helping the poor amount to 200 Denari (= RP).
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 1:25 pm

((200 RP cost and casualties noted, thanks))
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ser Varys Actions   Ser Varys Actions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ser Varys Actions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2