Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Army of the Shadow Legion.

Go down 
+5
Rec0n412
Azlanek
Curanthir
Iskar
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grandmaster

The Army of the Shadow Legion. Empty
PostSubject: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 5:18 pm

Marcus arrived at the road mid-day, and the royal carriages were quickly put to place with men running in organized groups to hide behind the mounds and small hills. The plan was following: when the Veccavi would charge the volunteered men carrying the empty royal carriages, horns would be blown and the Shadow Legion would charge in in a shieldwall-formation, taking heavy pressure on the Veccavii. The troops are positioned so that the shieldwall is impossible to flank, thus making the task easier. Marcus repeated the plan to his officers, advising them all to blow the horns when he gives the sign. The troops were in groups of 50-75, with one or two centurions per group and the rest with Marcus in the center of the troops, ready to engage the frontline. Everything was ready, now they just had to wait for the sign..
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:05 pm

A Silvermist messenger arrives at the command tent. Given permission to step forward he does so and hands a response letter to Marcus.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 2:31 am

The Centurion returned, and delivered the news to Marcus.

LEGION! Let's get ready! He yelled, and instantly the whole legion of 300 men stood up and organized into ranks.

Legion! The Veccavi have been spotted not far from here. Soon they will be here, and soon they will feel the sting of our blades, not to speak of tasting the arrows of the Silvermist and receiving the lancetips of the Eventide Knights! We, men, are the holding barrier, the force which without we'd lose. The Eventide, we could won without them. But they still came. We are here because we are to sacrifice ourselves for greater good! Legionaries, the Kingdom of Pendor relies on us now! Do show your courage, do show that the Shadow Legion is loyal! No longer we are called traitors and cutthroats! Legion, FOR PENDOR!

The men cheered and yelled in return, hacking their swords and javelins to their shields. Marcus positioned the men to the both sides of the road, behind the mounds and hills, ready to spring out from their hiding spots and charge at the enemy in organized groups. The largest group, 100 legionaries and 10 centurions, were placed in the middle, and the rest were placed around the middle force. 10 Centurions and Marcus were with the main force, ready for the enemy.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 3:43 am

A legionary soldier on horseback rode quickly towards the camp. Seemed like he had the armies of hell behind him, so great was his haste, and his eyes were full of doubt.

COMMANDER! The Veccavi are spotted, they are just over the valley!
Marcus stood up in his tent, and walked out of it. Quickly, he put on his helmet and shouted: FOR PENDOR!
LEGION, PREPARE TO MEET THE ENEMY! NO LONGER WE MUST WAIT IN DOUBT, NOW WE CAN MEET THEM FACE TO FACE, SWORD TO SWORD, SHIELD TO SHIELD! MY LEGION, YOU HAVE PROVEN YOURSELVES A HUNDRED TIMES. AND A HUNDRED TIMES AGAIN! I ASK YOU TO PROVE YOURSELVES ONCE AGAIN - LIKEA PROPER LEGIONAIRE!
The Heralds blew the horns in the sign of forming a shieldwall. The men flocked under Marcus's banners, forming a shieldwall around him whilst he himself stood in the frontline.
COMPANY - ADVANCE!
His commands were repeated by the Centurions, and soon the force began their disciplined march towards the enemy. 300 men formed in one big formation, their sight was terrifying. 25 of them were on horseback, but Marcus was fighting on foot since he had dislike for mounted combat.

Marcus caught the glittering of the silvermist ranger's armour on the top of a cliff to his left - and he raised his hand. The men instantly stopped, clomping their feet once inthe ground and having their shields and swords pointing upwards towards the sky. He gave a great roar:
TESTUDO - FORM UP!
Again repeated by the Centurions numerous times, the men hailed and in one big rumble of sound formed in a testudo. Spears, javelin-tips and broadswords were pointing out from the formation, like from a giant hedgehog. This was the special strategy developed by Marcus, but perfected just lately: the Phalanx.

The Commander stopped his body of units still below the hill. Not realizing they are talking and making much noise. Clearly, this put them in the wrong.

(edit by MitchyMatt)
Back to top Go down
Curanthir
Grandmaster
Curanthir

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 am

A messenger of the Silvermists arrives, and begins to talk to the Centurion Commander.

Sir, I bring a message from Caranthir. A scout force has discovered the trap. We have killed them quietly, but it is only a matter of time before the main force knows something is amiss. Prepare your men for a surprise attack. If you can, rally the Eventide as well. IF you choose to remain in hiding, tell your men to keep quite. A Silvermist could hear your racket from miles away.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:36 am

Yes, we are no cowards but we understand the urgency of this matter. Centurion Catullus, order the men to form up and prepare to move as quickly as possible. Send word for the Eventide to follow us as quickly as possible.

Centurion named Catullus ran away, talking to the other Centurions and soon the whole host was organized and ready to leave. Catullus left towards the Eventide camp, and he was given the fastest horse in the Legion.

I need your scouting, Ranger. Go ahead and tell us what is there, we will march behind you slowly and quietly.

The Legion's dark armour concelaed them in the mist, making it easy to walk unnoticably. No longer the men walked in tigthly packed formations, they now walked in small, still disciplined groups and ready to unite quickly into a fighting force when needed.
Back to top Go down
Curanthir
Grandmaster
Curanthir

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:37 am

As you wish sir, There is only a small scout force on the other side of the hill, but beyond that, the army is still at sea

Last edited by Caranthir on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:41 am

Good. Men, leave the horns and other noisy stuff here. We don't need them in there. Let's go.

His commands were repeated silently, and like a host of ghosts the Legino began their march.

Ranger, we need you to eliminate the scouting force before we can go and surprise the enemy host. Or, actually, let me inform the Silvermists.

Marcus had seen a Silvermist scout from the edge of his eye, now turning to them and signaling to them with his hands. He pointed at the supposed location of the scouting force, and draw his finger around his neck to imitate killing them silently. Lastly he put his finger on his lips, to make clear it was done silently.

Good. Ranger, you can stay with us. We trust that you don't begin shooting before we have begun our attack. Preferably we'd want you to shoot at their commander. Look out for specific banners, and you will find her. The honour spot of an army is on it's left, so check it first.

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 5:50 am

A messenger arrives from the southern camp, handing a letter to Marcus.

Quote :
My lookout informs me the Veccavi have still not taken the bait. Perhaps we need a bigger bait. Equip a volunteer with a crown-like helmet, put him in the carriage and have the carriage start moving away.
The Veccavi will hopefully think its truly the king and their scout was shot by his guards. Thus they should start moving inland.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:02 am

Ahh..i need a volunteer.

Men, which one of you will volunteer for this mission? Which one of you will have his life risked for the Legion? You must act the king of Pendor to get the Veccavi to attack. You, over there! Lucius Valerius, you are my volunteer!
Yes, Centurion!
Good, now..

You, Ranger, bring word to the Silvermist that they send me a crown. And make sure to come back, we need you here.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:03 am

Messenger from the north and south return with word from both parts of the Eventide's forces. They carry with them special signal horns.

“The Knights of the Eventide are moving to join you on your flanks. Use these horns to issue orders that affect only them.”

He briefly explains the most basic command codes. Including a special command if the infantry is expected to abandon their position protecting the Silvermist Rangers and to join the rest of the forces

“Also, Sir Jugas (current leader, since the player characters of the Eventide cannot be represented without their respective players) humbly suggests that if we have indeed been spotted, we could make as much noise as possible, convincing the enemy that they face a much bigger force than is actual present and undermining their moral. This way we may be able to delay the battle and give our comrades more time to return victorious from their invasion.”
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:06 am

Marcus looked at the messenger, with little anger in his face, but otherwise motionless.

Very well. You see those horns over there?He points at the ground behind the Legion.

Take them, and blow them long and hard when you are given the signal to charge. We want them as terrified as possible.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 am

The Messenger nod and rush to comply.
Back to top Go down
Rec0n412
Peasant
Rec0n412

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:12 am

A legionnaire aproaches the Shadow Legion Grandmaster

Begging your pardon my lord, but a thought has occurred to me which has given me cause for concern...

The manner in which the Veccavi have approached the lure suggests great caution on the part of their commander. Unless the Veccavi are lured in soon, the risk of them withdrawing and consolidating their forces will become ever more likely.

However, by the same token, if we delay for too long we risk being outmaneuvered and possibly having an ambush sprung upon us.

My Lord, while I do not posess a suitable solution to this issue, I trust your judgement in this endeavor.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:15 am

Don't worry. The Silvermist Rangers have sharp eyes, they even now have them on their sights. We will charge in, and the Silvermist will rain arrows on their backs and the Eventide will charge the Veccavi, leaving them between the hammer and anvil.
Back to top Go down
Rec0n412
Peasant
Rec0n412

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:19 am

The legionnaire nods his head and says...

Of course my Lord, now I must beg my leave and return to my duties.

The legionnaire gives a quick bow and turns to leave.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 6:43 am

A Silvermist messenger arrives, bringing one of the large silvery shining squad commander helmets used by the Silvermists.

Centurion Commander, this is the best we can provide, but, glittering as it is, it will do the job quite well on the distance and with all the mist.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptySun Aug 21, 2011 7:01 am

Marcus took it, and gave it to the Legionarie named Lucius Valerius.

Thank you, Ranger. Lucius Valerius, great honour awaits you. Now go, and fulfill your task.

The Legionarie ran to the carriages with a few other men.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 6:39 am

OOC: That helps nice idea! Smile, as for what your actions will be, please put them in the original thread, any talking or issuing of commands before big events happening, can stay here.
Back to top Go down
gansch
Peasant

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Tiberius Centurius Metellus approaches Marcus

A word of caution Grandmaster, it seems they would did not send an aggressive commander and that worries me. A smart, calculating commander would have likely had spies infiltrate Pendor prior to the invasion to gather intel on our positions and fortifications in the area. I do not doubt the enemy commander realizes that if it is too good to be true, it is probably a trap. As the scout reported, their commander is being very cautious, so I am worried that they have discovered our ruse. If our plain has been foiled, what shall we do? We cannot rely on the mist to conceal our positions indefinitely, but we also cannot rely on the rangers to catch every single scout or see through the thickest of the mists.

If they send one light infantry cohort to advance ahead of their main force, we have only a few options. We could send the troops to flee and hope they they will alert their forces to attack but that risks the chance they will regroup. We could have the small detachment that is protecting the "King" fight the cohort and we would wait until the rest of their forces arrived to spring the ambush, but that will cause our detachment to suffer heavy casualties. Do you know of any better options if they have discovered our trap and we are forced into a different battle then the one planned?
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:36 pm

Turning to the Centurion, he said smilingly:

If such happens, we will advance, we, the shadow legion, and when they attack our forces the silvermist and the eventide will surprise them..
Back to top Go down
Curanthir
Grandmaster
Curanthir

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:52 pm

OOC: I am posting here for Theo of Janos, as I sent him on a mission here (and he hasn't made an account here yet Rolling Eyes ) and I will delete this if he comes and does this himself. (Dunno his forum name)

Captain Theo of the Silvermists walks into the Shadow Legion Camp, and enters the commander's tent.

I am captain Theo of the Silvermists, sir. Caranthir sent my squad and me over here to aid in making the bait more realistic. He has ordered me to accompany the carriage and guard it with our arrows, to make it seem as though we are "king"'s guards fighting back. We each have two quivers full and are ready to shoot any scouts that come too close. I take my leave now, to get into position.

He then turns around and leaves, headed for the carriage.

Last edited by Caranthir on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Marcus orders the legion to split up, advancing on the both sides of the roads concealed on the dark, heavy mist. They advanced until they could see the carriages, and then stopped there awaiting the ambush.
Back to top Go down
Rec0n412
Peasant
Rec0n412

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:39 pm

The legionnaire Quintus Mummius Phillipus approaches the Grandmaster of the Shadow Legion. After giving a quick bow, he says:

My Lord, When battle is joined, how will we be expected to fight? Will we seek to route and crush the enemey if they break, or will we fight in a more reserved manner and seek to maintain the coherency of our formations even at the cost of allowing the enemy to disengage?
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 11:20 pm

OOC: here I am. Don't need to delete the pseudo-Theo post Smile it was nicely written.

[to the squad:]
Rangers, our commander predicts that some Veccavian scouts will soon come to kill our "king". Our job is to defend this king as if he were the true one. You need to pretend you are part royal personal guard, and thus behave accordingly.

We want to kill all of them, but some might escape. This, too, is an opportunity for making our ruse more believable. So these are the tactical orders:

- You [chooses 90% of the soldiers]: at my signal you will shoot four volleys at the enemy. You will use two arrows each. Whoever is confident enough should use three: this is to make it look like as if the "king" had more bodyguards than he actually does. I understand that hitting is difficult, but that is not your main purpose.
- You [chooses the remaining 10%]: you will shoot to kill. Do your work and have no mercy.

- If their forces are too large and pose a real treath to us, I will give you a double signal: if this happens, all will cancel your previous orders and will begin shooting to kill and protecting the king.

Stay alert, but do not worry: we win either way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Army of the Shadow Legion.   The Army of the Shadow Legion. Empty

Back to top Go down

The Army of the Shadow Legion.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next