Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Strategic Map OOC

Go down 
+2
Mordred
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Grandmaster

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 6:55 am

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!!
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 7:00 am

If there is a map without the unit markings, I can use that as the overlay if you want. You can then add units on top of it to show movements more clearly.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 7:37 am

Spoiler:
(Ignore this map now)

Could we also have a set of rules for this? Nothing complicated, just some general guidelines.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 8:28 am

New map is done. Might need to refresh for it to take effect. As to rules... We have some basics laid out, and Iskar I think has some more; as to more indepth rules, no promises, I am exceptionally busy atm.

Combat results Iskar already has the algorithm for.

Each unit may make one action per round, either movement;
Infantry move 1 hex
Cavalry move 2 hexes
Turning 180 takes 1 move, otherwise it doesn't cost anything.

Or combat;
If two hostile units are adjacent to each other, either may engage in melee.
Archers shoot 1/2 of their weapon skill in hexes, rounding down (+1 for Silvermists to this result due to their Marksmanship trait)
Cavalry may move, then attack. This constitutes a charge.

Additional rules for mounted combat;

Horses provide a "Charge" bonus (which is not the same as the Charge stat) depending on the mount.

Hunters give +1 to Charge
Light WH give +2 Charge
Heavy WH give +3 Charge
Dragon Destrier give + 3 Charge
Ironbred give +4 Charge

Horses can also increase the armour of their riders.

Dragon Destrier +1 Armour (when mounted)
Ironbred +1 Armour (when mounted)

Defences;
Terrain cover (1 for forests, hills, low walls, 2 for mountains, castle walls, 3 for citadel walls, -1 for coast, -2 for shallow water.)

Please do suggest any changes. These rules will be expanded as play develops. Sorry guys, but you are very much the guinea pigs for this.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 3:22 pm

..oh god, please not rules. This already looks way too much like a board game. Please keep the battles unique!
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 4:26 pm

Even though I like rules, I think these ones are more appropriate for huge battles. For medium-sized like here in Cez, we might not be able to cover all of our particularities. How to account for silvermist speed on foot? Or how do the traps all around the place affect enemy movements? What about rain/snow/morale? Or how to use silvemist range bonus, if the distance from one hex to another is always the same?

The best would then be to use the rules as general guidelines, but without sticking rigidly to them, and also allow the gm to override them at will. Also, using Mordred's map locate our units precisely (and spare the gm's pacience with confuse written descriptions).

Also good is that now we know that Ironbreds are heavier than heavy horses and lighter than Netherworld chargers, and that cavalry moves twice as much as much as footmen, which is great information for planning and gm'ing purposes.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyWed Feb 15, 2012 5:01 pm

Hedgehogs: moving time doubles when moving through them. Any charge made through them by cavalry from a hex away stops.
Hedgehogs in water (one use only), shallow water only, 5 per hex: every ship has a chance of being struck by them. All troops aboard have a chance of drowning depending mainly on their armour.
Water trap: Upon unleashing the hex directly below it will be flooded. Any unit there is stuck for some time.
Need I continue?
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:27 am

I don't like these rules.... I just don't like them...
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 am

So what then would you suggest? What exactly is your issue with them at the moment, perhaps then we can build on that.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:32 am

I think I know what you are feeling. I'd say that things change, and so does Aftermath, which reached an unmanageable point where rules are necessary. I guess that RPing in a purely narrative/storytelling style was cool at the beginning, especially at the beach battle, but it was costing too much in terms of time and effort from whoever was guiding it.

I reviewed my position and now I think rules are good thing ("good" and "pleasant" are different things, however). With so many players, it's the only way to maintaint neutrality among several parties and to not let the system crash unto itself due to excessive information that cannot be converted into action. But I'd still bend them and allow more flexibility whenever possible, though.

Just imagine how will it be when an order decides to battle another! It's best that by that time we have ripe, well-tested combat rules, in order to do a fair thing.

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:41 am

I see the problem that too many rules could make the actual rp drown in them, but:

You still have the possibility to roleplay all your actions and the same goes for all other players. As we recruit more hosts, we all get less busy, thus enabling the hosts to do more elaborately done replies, too.

We need a foundation of rules to keep things in battles fair and give some actual meaning to clever plans, superior troops, high morale etc. You as the player will most likely not even get to have to handle the rules, as these are mainly for the respective host or gamemaster to determine the outcome of your roleplay actions.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 5:49 am

Quote :
We need a foundation of rules to keep things in battles fair and give some actual meaning to clever plans

And to emphasize: we need a solid experience with them for the time when rules become of utmost importance, like the next major event (probably), and inter-order wars.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 6:08 am

I'm planning to bend the rules in some cases to get more RP-feeling to it if it's any consolation. For a good reason, though.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:35 pm

My problem is that rules would hinder our actions greatly. I can agree to this, yeah, but it won't be pleasant for anyone if the rules disallow most of the RP - part, just making it a simple board game.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:36 pm

The only things the rules prevent you from doing are the illogical and impossible ones. That's what they are made for. As long as you do it sensibly (as you have done till now) you will in most cases not even notice there are actual rules underlying the game.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Thats my opinion as well. We (the Roleplayers) won't notice the rules, we just keep on RPing and the GM have to apply the rules.
The rules will stay in the Background. And I think it will add some consistency to the game, It will not just depend on the feeling of the GM.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:27 pm

I obviously will agree to rules such as the ones you described.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Fine. I can assure you we don't just decree these rules by whim. We have already spent several evenings (and most likely will spend more in the future) discussing new rules, revising old ones and abolishing useless ones in order to turn this set of rules into what comes closest to a reliable manifestation of logics, physics and common sense, so as to the most realistic feeling possible.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:02 pm

I apologize if my words implied such things. I know that it is hard work to set rules and guidelines that everyone agrees on. By now means i wanted to say that you sit around and decide depending on the mood you're in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Strategic Map OOC Empty
PostSubject: Re: Strategic Map OOC   Strategic Map OOC Empty

Back to top Go down

Strategic Map OOC
Page 1 of 1