Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just talking

Go down 
+28
Sir Thash Kor
Alaric Reiner
MordKaiser87
tobberman
Sir Arceon
dowpride
Hetzau
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Psychozoa
MitchyMatt
Aldric of Marleons
Ser Varys
Kamos
DiabloDude
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
Pravenstern
Sir Aranor
Datedsandwich
Tubby McChubbles
Laisha
Mordred
Sir Haegon
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Isabel Tenorio
Curanthir
Saeros
Slopsen
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

Just talking - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 am

Yeah that darling Mastifus was created by MitchyMatt. He was always pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 4:58 am

Oh yes, I recall from the Notables thread now.

The question remains though! tongue
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

Quote :
the first adventure book in Western civilization!

Wasn't the Mahabharata the first one? Though if someone here has read it (I didn't) we should declare him the scholar king.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 am

My qualifier was Western civilization.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 am

Mahabharata?

Sounds like a type of olive oil
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:32 am

Quote :
Sounds like a type of olive oil

Apparently you can also translate it as "The Big Bharata*". Which then makes it sound like a bad restaurant.

*. I know I'm overdoing it, but it's for the sake of the argument.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:34 am

Gilgamesh.

The Original BAMF story.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am

Oh, look! Would you be so kind to honor me with your 1000th post?

EDIT: please answer "no" so that we can have a paradox.
Back to top Go down
Laisha
Knight
Laisha

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:40 am

I've been instructed by Lady Tenorio to inform you that you will not be graced by her 1,000th post.

I would prefer if you'd not shoot the messe...oh, right, you're a halberdier. Phew...
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 10:45 am

Deny me a paradox, will you?

I'd post Batman's joker "a cat got your tongue", but the connection is too slow here for youtube.

EDIT: alright, let's negotiate. I'll dedicate my 1000th for you too. All I have to do is keep talking crap until I get there.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 am

Saeros wrote:
"The Big Bharata*". Which then makes it sound like a bad restaurant.

No, that sounds like a infamous -

Spoilered for decency

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:03 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen, we really need to move on with the events. Laria, Cez and Javiksholm wait for progress and we need to get these done so we can start with some more freely organised player based roleplay apart from the throne room event.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:17 pm

Is there much that can be done for Javiksholm?
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 10:30 pm

A certain grandmaster could post...
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 1:00 am

How did Mordred do the hexes in the Pendor Map? I would like to know for it would help with the Cez-event.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 7:10 am

I don't know. But you can achieve something similar by (a) drawing an hexagon on MS Paint, (b) copypasting it until you have a line of them, (c) copying that line; (d) opening the map you want, then (e) pasting the hex line all over it.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:43 am

Hey, take a look at this. The say it's the first "real" jousting in 500 years. Please ignore the fact that it's in German - the images speak for themselves. We may also have an idea of the mobility of their armors.

Oh, now I see they are actually speaking in English under that German, so there's probably a non-dubbed recording of the event somewhere (unlikely, no one cares about Germany Sad )

http://www.spiegel.tv/filme/ritterturnier-magazin/
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 12:04 am

A highlight is that even in such a controlled and modern environment, knights ended up with bruises. Just imagine how dangerous the old tournaments actually were!
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 1:11 am

The old old tournaments were just brawls with a few hundred knights.

They didn't even blunt their weapons
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 1:15 am

In William Manchester's A World Lit Only by Fire he mentions a tournament in France that caused the deaths of 60 (I think) knights in a melee.

Granted, his book has a very dubious credibility. It's amusing though, with a hyper-sexualized account of medieval life, excessive gore stories, and a very funny account of Martin Luther having a poo-slinging contest with the devil.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 1:38 am

It depends what time period you are looking at.

The first tournaments were basically for nobles to prove their tactical skill as well as fighting ability, and would basically be a proper battle between two teams, with varying numbers on each side. The chief combatants were aspiring leaders proving their ability, and people wanting to join up with retinues, as well as current retinues. They would wear full armour, and usually blunt their weapons. You tend to get lots of accounts of injuries and death, described in passing, as they were fairly common and chroniclers expected it.
EG: Jean-Louis de Beurre, earl of Cheesington was wounded and later died of his injuries. Five individuals of lesser houses were also mortally wounded.

Later, at the height of chivalry, tournaments were more about individual skill and honour, so you had jousts and duels, which were originally part of the same event (ie: you have to defeat the unhorsed rider in combat), becoming their own thing, and tournaments completely changed. Deaths were far less common here, so any would be described in a bit more detail. EG: Rupert Foxton, of the Earl of Humbledown's household, was injured by Sir Harrumph in the third round.

A lot of the time, reading sources with nothing to do with your area of interest will get you a lot of information. For example, if you want info on tournaments, read a source chronicling an embassy between two nations. Before the diplomacy began, there was usually a tournament, same with royal weddings or other important events. The chronicler, depending on how interested they were, will usually give some details.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:11 am

something (completely) different: I enrolled for a course in fencing :p

We talked about it a few months back when I concluded I should start doing it.. well, first class is on thursday evening! Awesome!

I remember many of you have done it (or still do), any tips so I won't fail terribly?
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:33 am

Don't lose.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:34 am

stick 'em with the pointy end
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just talking
Page 11 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next