Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just talking

Go down 
+28
Sir Thash Kor
Alaric Reiner
MordKaiser87
tobberman
Sir Arceon
dowpride
Hetzau
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Psychozoa
MitchyMatt
Aldric of Marleons
Ser Varys
Kamos
DiabloDude
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
Pravenstern
Sir Aranor
Datedsandwich
Tubby McChubbles
Laisha
Mordred
Sir Haegon
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Isabel Tenorio
Curanthir
Saeros
Slopsen
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Just talking - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:34 am

What kind of fencing? I only learned floret fencing.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:39 am

Iskar wrote:
What kind of fencing? I only learned floret fencing.

University only wrote 'fencing', but I believe it is Epee or floret. (pretty sure actually, looked up the site again)
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:51 am

Quote :
I remember many of you have done it (or still do), any tips so I won't fail terribly?
Fight as if your life depended on it.

And practice with your umbrella.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:03 am

It's actually a lot about technique. You have to learn the basic positions of the weapon and be really fast about switching between them.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:17 am

It's more like dancing and flowing from stance to stance than leaping about.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

Depends. In floret fencing you can only move backwards and forward, not sideways, so you need to parry blows/stabs all the time and at the same time try to place a hit yourself.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 am

Two things, footwork and wristwork. Fencing is all about learning what reactions you can provoke from people.
It's generally better to be out of the way of a thrust, rather than block it, even though parry-riposte gains more points, because if they go around you, you are left open. Don't use your arm to parry, use your wrist, supported by your arm's strength. It's fast, and if you get the technique down, just strong enough to get their sword out of the way enough to strike. You don't really want to smash their sword out the way, because you can't recover and take advantage of it.

That said, I was rubbish, but my friend who taught me fought for team GB. (non-olympic, or he wouldn't be my friend Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 7:57 am

cool, I'll remember that Wink
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 12:28 pm

Are you sure you wouldnt prefer to learn gaesatae fencing? All you need to do his inject 2 kilos of ice into your viens then strip down naked and run at your opponent screaming and thrashing. The celts had it right.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 1:16 pm

DrSane wrote:
Are you sure you wouldnt prefer to learn gaesatae fencing? All you need to do his inject 2 kilos of ice into your viens then strip down naked and run at your opponent screaming and thrashing. The celts had it right.

Merzinas! Stop revealing our order secrets!

Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Sir Aranor wrote:
Merzinas! Stop revealing our order secrets!

Blaze has taught us much

where do you think he got his name from Wink
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:49 pm

Double post, I've got my HSC tests in the next few weeks, dont suppose any of you have any blindingly brilliant interpretations of BladeRunner, Frankenstein, Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Oedipus Tyrannus?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 pm

In the words of my old mythology professor, responding to why Oedipus wouldn't just not get married: A life is a long time to go without killing or marrying anyone.

Blindingly brilliant or not, I remember that lecture. tongue
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 10:07 pm

You can impress by questioning the mythology: "which Oedipus? Sophocles' or Euripides'?"

There are different versions for every myth. For example: in one version Jocasta killed herself; in another, she was killed by a mob. This happens with other myths as well.

We often forget that myths are not ideas eternally floating around, but are only found in people's writings. Naturally, different people write different things.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:29 am

Always wondered, Knights of Ebony Gountlet can't have income or something like that(to lazy to look exact wording) to what extent it goes? I mean i hardly believe i can't have pocket money with me to buy a drink in tavern for example.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:33 am

So far personal wealth has been entirely up to the individual players. I don't think we've had much in the way of purchasing equipment or anything yet. Having a drink or paying for a meal is perfectly fine, unless there is some conflict with that. Some orders have vows of poverty for instance, which is a hard limit on their money, but they probably still have some pocket change for small things like that.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 am

Quote :
vows of poverty
^This is the exact wording ^^

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 am

I don't know if the Gauntlet has such a vow. If so, Tubby is the one to answer how much money Zekic would have access to.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:10 am

Your incomes are signed over to the order, as is any inheritance you might have. You can still leave an amount of money to others instead of the order, but I doubt there are that many members with family.

You get your wage, which supports you, and doesn't depend on rank, so you would have "pocket change", but you aren't like one of the other knights who is still a noble or something.

Considering all of that, the signing over of knights' wealth should have an effect on our metagame.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:16 am

That's an interesting idea.

On one hand, it's a nice bit of income, but it probably turns away some potential recruits as well. I would expect that most of those men of means would give their wealth to their family or some other heir before joining the Order, though. Likely that is very linked to how strong/appealing the ideology is.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:22 am

The order was very ideological in the game, and I think that it still would be, as there are obviously still problems.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:26 am

If the ideology is strong, it then has to be appealing. Given that xenophobia is a fairly constant theme throughout RL history, I imagine a dislike of the Noldor is quite common. A good social mobilization strategy should help the Gauntlets out in that regard, I would think.
Back to top Go down
Hetzau
Voice of the Nobility

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:33 am

Deport the Noldor. They're after our jerbs.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:34 am

It's those pointy ears! You just know they're up to no good!
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 am

-0.1 with the Nobles, +0.1 with the Merchants (to account for members giving up funds to the order). Could work, need to see precisely how this fits into the new system.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just talking
Page 12 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next