Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)

Go down 
+18
Curanthir
Psychozoa
Laisha
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Datedsandwich
Kamos
Aldric of Marleons
Tubby McChubbles
tobberman
Sir Aranor
Sir Haegon
Pravenstern
Ser Varys
Saeros
Isabel Tenorio
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 7:03 am

Iskar smiled a light and slightly tired smile. The Griffons, the Dragons, the Gauntlet, the Legion and the Silvermist. That makes five of eight votes in favour of discussing this issue further.

He looked at Marcus, Mastifus and Darlion one after the other. Your thoughts seem sound to me and I have the impression their common core is the installation of a permanent council of trusted individuals to assists his majesty in the ruling of the realm. However, just some more counsillors at the royal court will be of little help and only work towards the chimera of an inflated central administration. And, turning to Mastifus in particular he added, I do not believe that the people of the north, of whom you assured us that they would go to war were they just split between two provinces, would suffer being ruled by a select number of lords in Sarleon without any way for old Ravenstern lords to at least influence the government.

Yet, you are right in pointing out that the system of councils I suggested has the flaw that the efficiency of the different councils might vary greatly depending on the nature and character of the different dukes therein, crippling the administration of whole parts of the realm.

He paused for a moment, letting his gaze wander around the table, shortly studying the faces of the others, then continued:

Combining the systems, however, seems to be a splendid compromise to me: One could install such a permanent royal council with trusted members and the ducal councils as well. Now when a ducal council gathers at Sarleon for a meeting, which they would be to do regularly, not only the king attends it but his whole royal council. With the royal council being comprised of, say, the Lord Chancellor, the Lord Chamberlain, the Lord Justice, the Lord Marshal, the Lord Seneshal and whomever his majesty likes to call into it, the dukes will never make up more than half of the gathered council. If they are prudent and loyal it will only add to the efficiency and if they aren't they are easily compensated and out-voted by the loyal and prudent members of the royal council. We would obtain a stable and reliable government of the realm while also reaping the unifying and administrative benefits of the overlapping councils system.

Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Sir Aranor nodded.

"The combination of systems could work very well. I would support the compromise as well."
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Marcus smiled appreciatively, and surprisingly, Lucius joined in as he voiced his acceptal of the Constable's terms. Well, at least he said it after Marcus.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:06 pm

Constable, I am still of the opinion that overlapping authorities, rather than a simple hierarchy, complicates matters when fluid government is called for. The idea has merit, but surely the bureaucracy involved in the overlapping areas would cause problems?
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Saeros was staring into nothing. The matter being discussed was quite interesting, but at this point it was reduced to the opinion of the grandmasters. He pulled a piece of paper and picked up one of the several quills that were resting on the table.

Then he began scribbling and drawing. He was looking up to one of the halberdiers, then writing something down, and then looking up again. After a few minutes of looking-and-writing, he checks the paper, smiles in satisfaction, then folds it and stores it inside one of his long sleeves.

Those familiar with him recognized that expression: Saeros had had an idea.

Last edited by Saeros on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : deleted repeated words)
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:52 pm

No, Sir Lucius, the ducal administrations would remain the same. They are just coordinated in an overlapping way by the council system, ensuring their cooperation. The only additional bureaucracy we might need would be some officials attending to the members of the royal cabinet Sir Darlion, Sir Mastifus and Centurion Commander Merula suggested, but these would be of a rather small number compared to the existing administrative structures.

And the authorities that actually overlap are in fact identical ones. Each council could only pass laws regarding duchies the dukes of which have a seat in the council. If two councils overlap, that only means that the same duke has a seat in both. His authority remains undivided, with only the king above him, and since the king and his cabinet or royal council or what you like to call it would attend the sessions of both councils compatibility of the laws passed is ensured, since the king can - should it be necessary - put a veto to resolutions of a council or just have the royal council outvote the dukes.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 am

I which case, I approve, but obviously only to a testing phase, where the issue can be revisited by the King and his advisors.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:04 am

Iskar allowed himself to smile at the Gauntlet leader. Could it be that this order had actually brought forth someone who was able to put aside ideology and rivalry in order to think rationally?

That is implied automatically, Sir Lucius. It is for his majesty to decide whether and to what extent he will follow our recommendation, anyway, and he can easily disband the whole system with but a royal decree.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:19 am

After a while of further staring into nothing, Saeros calls the nearest halberdier.

"Godric, could you please take this to the Legion and Silvermist chamber? Put it on the table and guard the door from the inside."

Saeros hands him the piece of paper, kept inside his sleeve. The guard answers with a "Yes sir" and disappears in the hallway.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 12:48 am

"I continue to fail to see why Dukes must create laws that affect other Dukes. The feudal rights of the dukes preclude interference in their affairs by other dukes. You speak of ensuring cooperation, but that is precisely the King's role in this Kingdom. Since basic facts of government are absent at this table, I continue with a simple statement: Do not presume to tell His Majesty how to rule his realm, when he asked only for a recommendation on territorial boundaries."

Isabel turned her attention back to the contents of the table, and poured herself a cup of wine.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 1:16 am

I find your continued failures to see something increasingly amusing, Iskar replied. You say dukes might not interfere with the affairs of other dukes, yet in the current system the governors - dukes by their own rights - do just that. And yes I speak of ensuring cooperation and maybe you were so kind as to actually listen to what has been said: The councils ensuring cooperation are presided over and called in by his majesty, so the king IS ensuring cooperation in this model.
Back to top Go down
Ser Varys
Grandmaster
Ser Varys

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 6:42 am

Varys turned the the Eventide scribe and whispered, "Go get Celduir. Tell him the vote has moved on, and we are voting on something else. I refuse to vote without him taking part in the decision making."

Something didn't sit right with Varys...he felt as if he was being manipulated into agreeing.

Varys then turned and addressed Iskar.

"This seems like a good idea as long as it is only a testing phase. I approve of it, but if you have more to add, I would like to hear it."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 8:08 am

Iskar shrugged. I think we have said most there is to say about it. If you want you can reread Chadwell's protocols.
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Sir Kamos audibly yawned and covered his mouth clearly bored by the current procedures. He continued to sit by his Grandmaster as ordered however occassionally glancing towards the door.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:00 pm

Sir Aranor glared at Kamos, obviously unamused..

"Sir, are we boring you?"
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Dalrion listened to the conversation taking place around the table, particularly to Constable Iskar and his propositions. Occasionally offering a whisper to the scribe next to him, who scribbled every word spoken around the room furiously, yet neatly. He flashed a look to his second in command at the knight's yawn, and almost issued an order with his eyes; Look interested. Finally he stood, and began to speak once more.

"I would like to add a revision, or if the Chairman would prefer, a separate proposal. While I do indeed support an official Royal Council to advise our King, I wish for them to be only of an advisory role. Free to make suggestions to the king, but otherwise holding no power to write the laws of the land, which I believe should solely sit with Mordred, and in turn his decedents. If this revision is made, I vote for the creation of this council. If not, then the Griffons will remain staunchly against it."

Finished speaking for now, Darlion took his seat once more, ignoring Aranor's quip to Kamos.

Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:36 pm

"Then you can remain staunchly against it. If this royal council has only an advisory role, with no power to write laws, what stops one of Mordred's descendents from making laws that cause harm to the realm as a whole? The Dawn will not stand behind a monarch that is unchecked, the royal council needs power, if we grant the king absolute power over law-making it will bite us later on."
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Darlion, so often the rock among his peers, stood then, a snarl at his lips even as his eyes held the same steel they always did. He slammed his fist against the table before pointing to Aranor, his voice rising with every word that left his lips.

"You will not stand behind your king? And who are you, Grandmaster, to think yourself fit to make such statements? Of all of the treasonous words spoken at this meeting yours are the most blatant and vile of them. Are you so greedy, that when given this inch to decide something of importance for the realm, you're going to take the mile and try to strip Mordred of the power that is his right? You say these words in his own seat of power, and spit in his face. I should have you chained and thrown before his majesty to explain yourself this instant! I suggest you learn to follow his majesty fullheartedly before you find your Order kicked out of yet another kingdom."

Darlion looked to the other knights in the room. His eyes lingering on Marcus the longest before speaking once more.

"Have I made myself clear? No treason, not by actions or words within this city. It will not be tolerated!"
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:01 pm

Aranor stared deep into Darlion's eyes. He rose slowly from his chair, maintaining his composure

"All I have ever done is for the good of the realm, Darlion. This whole meeting I have been trying to discuss things with the other grandmasters that are for the good of this realm, not for the benefit of your king. Do I respect the king? I would die for him, and so would my entire order. Did I say that Mordred would have no power over law-making? No. But, this discussion is not challenging the king and his powers, its about the redrawing of the realm. It's about what benefits everyone."

Aranor slowly walked around the table, taking slow steps as he talked, keeping his eyes focused on Darlion

"What we are to decide will affect every single man, woman, and child in this kingdom. It will affect those in the highest echelons of power, to those working in the fields. This is not about Mordred, this is not an attack on Mordred, this is about whats good for the realm. I will not have a single man control every aspect of law-making in this realm. I fear for the future, when the kingdom may have to withstand kings that do not benefit the entirety of their realm. When the king himself sits in his seat of power here in the capitol, does he know what laws will be best for those on the coast? In the mountains? Of lower class? Of upper class? That is what the council will be for. There will be different men from different perspectives who will help him in the law-making process."

He stopped right in front of Darlion, inches from his face.. Aranor stood eye to eye with the griffin

"I came here to discuss matters of the kingdom with the rest of my peers. There are better things to accomplish than to sit here and listen to a puffed up guard dog accuse me of treason. I am sure that when you chain me up, and King Mordred hears of my suggestion, he will recognize my foresight and be willing to accept it, to safeguard against tyrannical kings in the future. I used to think that the Griffins were the protectors of the Kingdom, but recent events, and your words, have proven that all you work for is the well-being of a mortal man. I work for the preservation and integrity of the kingdom that his descendents will rule. You stay here, in peaceful Sarleon, as a lapdog waiting on his master, when an invasion by one of our greatest enemies is taking place on the Southern shore. This is especially disappointing because you told me at my camp in Javiksholm that you would go ride to aid the Shadow Legion. Why are all the knights here instead of off fighting to protect the kingdom? I at least have an excuse. Now sit back down Dog, and lets get something done."

Not even allowing Darlion to finish, Sir Aranor walked back to his chair, he could no longer hide his frustration, which was now displayed all over his face.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:19 pm

"Small wonder your Order split with the choices you've made. Guards!"

The Royal Army soldiers who had stayed in the room came to attention then, and a commotion was heard outside as several armed Griffon knights entered, swords drawn, clearly expecting trouble. Darlion nodded his head towards Aranor and spoke.

"This man has spoken treason against our King, Mordred. I want him chained and brought before the king immediately where he can explain himself and be delivered the King's justice."

As the guards began to move on Aranor, Darlion took the latest page his scribe had scribbled and thrust it at Kamos, barking more Orders.

"Here is your chance to leave, Sir Kamos. Read from this page to the King directly the words that Sir Aranor spoke. Word for word, without error."

He finally turned to Aranor, a look of disgust on his face.

"Pray to Astraea that the King is more merciful today than I feel. Aranor, treason is one of the highest crimes in the land, and should you be pardoned, I hope this taint never leaves you. Now I suggest you go without resisting, my men won't hesitate to defend themselves."
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:24 pm

At the Dawnite's example, Marcus rose. His gaze held no heat and his voice was his usual cool tone, but it did seem just a tad different. Both of them.

"Sir Darlion of Pendor. I thought that you, as a true Griffon, would see what is best for Pendor. If a descendant of King Mordred turns out to be a bad king, there must be something to counter his bad influence. We are not fanatics, Darlion, and so we see the threats Pendor might face a little clearer. We have to agree that even a King is simply a man. True, a man who carries a great responsibility and is usually equipped with bucketloads of wisdom and experience, but still just a man. There are bound to be mistakes, and a Royal Council without power would be your first and greatest of them. I swear it under several witnesses that every word I said was true, and the Cultists take me if I lied a single time."

Abruptly guardsmen rushed inside at Darlion's word. Marcus glanced worriedly at Aranor, but then turned his gaze at Darlion. This time, it held an inferno.

"Darlion, you damn fanatic... get over your fears and see the truth! Every single man gathered here is determined to find the best solution for Pendor, and you arrest one of the single most influential men in the land? Order your guards away and consider his words for a moment. Do you have any wits left? Or are you just a fanatic, now? Stop this madness!"

He kept his stance, dividing his glare between Darlion and the guardsmen, hands balling up to fists and then back into normal stances again.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Merzinas ground his teeth at the Dukes words before him. A coward, idiot and bastard, insulting the holder of Merzinas' oath. Suddenly things spiralled dangerously and Merzinas leapt up to his lords defence, as did the accompanying scribes and knights around Aranor. Merzinas shouted at the warmongering Griffon grandmaster and the knights around him:

"Grandmasters and knights among you, the Griffons master is purging us! He is attempting to enact a tyranny worse than any we have faced before, do not let it stand. What kingdom do we live in where bodyguards speak for kings and wishes for peace and stability are met with threats of death. How long until he chooses you next? Already he has stolen control of this room from the Silvermist, he is grasping for any power he can. He is stealing everything from us for his own purpose!"

Merzinas grabbed a quill, sharp and strong and sturdy wooden block, used to hold the map down, the wieght would work.

"HE HAS IGNORED DIPLOMACY AND BROUGHT HIS ARMED THUGS IN HERE AGAINST THE TRUST OF THIS COUNCIL. THIS IS A BLATANT ACT OF WAR, DO NOT STAND FOR THIS TREACHERY."

Last edited by DrSane on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i rushed to write this and not get cut off again, so the spelling and grammer is woefull)
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 5:45 pm

"Treason is treason. It is as much my duty to uphold the laws of the realm as it is to serve the realm. To refuse to stand behind the king because he holds the power that is rightfully his is treason. If you cannot see this, than I cannot help you, and do not need to."

He then turned to Merzinas, cocking his head.

"If I wished to declare war I would not dance around it. I'm arresting a criminal. I trust your leaders to see the difference. Speak treason in this room, and you will be arresting for committing a crime. I make no apologies and no further explanation should be needed. The law is the law."

Darlion finally sat then, as if the issue was settled, and the Griffons and Soldiers closed on the Dawn soldiers.

"The law is the law. I suggest you let the criminal go, before you lose lives pointlessly. You are outnumbered and have the weight of the law against you. If you try to shed the blood of the king's men, you will also be branded criminals. I suggest you let your Grandmaster leave peacefully."

EDIT: Edited to reflect the action of the Dawn retainers.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Marcus barely suppressed a snarl as he searched his mind for an answer to the Griffon. Finally, as he found one, he smiled as though nothing had happened.

"And if you do arrest this Grandmaster here, what will be your charges? Saying that the King is a mortal man? That is perfectly true, Griffon. He is as mortal as any of us. And we happen to be the Crown's strongest, most loyal allies in the whole realm of Pendor. You wish to arrest the Dawnite? Very well. But know, that doing so you are harming the realm and its unity. I fear that such actions will not be tolerated for long, Sir Darlion of Pendor."

He settled back on his chair, hands intertwining, smiling coolly while holding his gaze at the Griffon's eyes.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 6:03 pm

"How noble of you coward, its good to see the Griffons ignore diplomacy and attack on the slightest whim of their now apparently unfit grandmaster. If only you weren't so brave at Javiksholm as you are here. You ran the moment you found the slightest excuse. Go on then, if the law is the law, go and arrest Aelfwine for ignoring a blatant deceleration of the king you hypocritical madman. Exactly what treason did we speak?"

Merzinas swung the wooden wieght at the outstretched sword of one of the gaurds, the smacking noise ringing out in the hall. He looked to the hosts of the meeting.

"Silvermist we were promised safety in this hall, and in return we yielded our weapons. Protect your guests!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)
Page 16 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next