Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pendor Social Development

Go down 
+3
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Slopsen
Isabel Tenorio
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

Pendor Social Development Empty
PostSubject: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 6:04 am

Tubby and I have been discussing a few things regarding Pendor that we would probably all benefit to know.

To break the question down to it's most basic and generalized (pick all the flaws out of it you please Wink ) level: Has Pendor gone more the way of Western Europe or Eastern Europe?

Tubby linked this video as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3YDN5gTX0

Edit: By West-East, I was referring specifically to peasants and serfdom and the like.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 12:56 pm

HAHAHA ... NI!

Thx for linking watching now
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 7:38 pm

West, definitely.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:20 am

Western, definitely western.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:22 am

Something I brought up, was that seeing as Pendorian peasants obviously gain most of their income from trade, I would assume at least some of them to be quite legal minded, or at least educated. That was how it often worked in real life, but obviously we can be completely ahistorical here.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 9:24 am

The way I accounted for that was a rising mercantile class, particularly in the Fierdsvain lands.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:03 am

What is the level of literacy, and more advanced education, among the non-elites like? I imagine that if the Fierdsvain cities are hosting the rise of the educated Burghers then they are a bit more complicated than the villages elsewhere.

There is a Siege Academy in Sarleon, but how is most education handled? Schools were an option for villages and with the variety of churches, I don't imagine it's a simple as RL Europe where we would say 'the Church' handles education for anyone not fortunate enough to have a private tutor
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 am

I always though the Empire had the better education. Somewhere it's written that it was a center of mathmatics, philosophy and engineering.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:34 am

Poinsbruk has a university and is home to Raven Spear scholars.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 am

Son of a '

I had a detailed account written but then the browser decided to refresh. Basically;

Level of literacy
Poor. Education is only available to those with means.

Education
Church - Will teach those who donate enough to read and write, normally producing priests and scribes. They will introduce their students to aristocrats and wealthy merchants in the hope of winning them a sponsor for a university or academy, and collecting a finders fee in the process. Clergy educated students tend to have a poorer background and thus more practical experience.

Tutors - University / Academy students will bolster their income by offering tuition to the children of aristocrats and merchants. Their pupils will be introduced to wealthy sponsors for a finders fee like the churches do. Tutor educated students come from well to do backgrounds and are thus have had more free time, lending themselves more towards philosophical or theoretical thought.

Universities - Poinsbruk and Janos have the only universities in Pendor, and while these will offer a wide education to those who can afford their (very) hefty fees, their primary interest is in research, and they will take on projects paid for by private investors such as aristocrats or merchants interested in a particular technology or improvement.

Academies - Currently there is only one in Sarleon, funded entirely by the Crown. Free from the constraints of private investment, the academy has the resources to expand their study on topics with no immediate financial or practical use, however they are limited by decree to one particular field of expertise and will explore only subjects relating to this.

Apprenticeships - All masters are required by law to employ at least one apprentice in order to keep knowledge in that particular trade, however wealthier commoners will also fund their child through an apprenticeship which are additional to the one funded by the master. Journeymen will travel from village to village employing their skills as needed and demanded, and will settle down in a town to begin their own workshop when they achieve their mastery. Craftsmen tend to be highly skilled only in what they already know, and there is no culture of experimentation.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:16 am

Do guilds still hold sway over the urban craftsmen?

Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 am

Looks like we will have a fun nouveau riche class rivalry going on! Who let those merchants get educated?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MSrYgAphpU A clip from the Showtimes series The Tudors.

The Earl of Surrey (a powerful nobleman) was arrested and accused of usurping the King's authority by displaying a coat of arms which belonged to a former ruling dynasty. It opens with him attempting to escape prison. It's a nice depiction of the conflicts between the aristocracy and the middle class... and the rise of the New Monarchies.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:45 am

Isabel Tenorio wrote:
Do guilds still hold sway over the urban craftsmen?

Yes, craftsmen do continue to organise themselves in guilds, though there is as yet, no unity between guilds in different towns.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 am

Thank you! I'm out of questions on peasants, so I think it's time to take a question from the US Presidential campaigns...

What does King Mordred wear to bed? Razz
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 6:48 am

The hopes and dreams of a Kingdom.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am

Censored, so no one can say bad Sane. Read at your own risk and curiosity, just remember what it does to cats, that shit is rough.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 11:37 pm

Spoiler:

Further questions!

1) are there any cultural barriers/prejudice/laws against lowborn people being educated or literate? (as being sacrilege, arrogance, hybris, or something?)
2) are we allowed to build schools and temples to spread our order's beliefs and/or favorite gods?
3) are we allowed to hire university scholars to develop a particular project for our order?
4) if we by chance manage to cleverly atract many skilled crafstmen, will that be reflected in the metagame?

Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 am

1. As with any class based society, there is of course arrogance and a feeling of superiority for those who are educated, though the level of this varies tremendously from region to region. In Sarleon, education is seen as a purely aristocratic thing, while the Fierdsvain and Empire education is more widely accepted across the board. The D'Shar have little interest in it beyond a select number of academics, and in Ravenstern life is too hard to have time for it for any but the wealthiest nobles (the exception being for a martial education, there are quite a number of knights with at least a rudimentary understanding of tactics).

2. Yes, though quite how this will work I have not yet considered. I know that some of the religious Orders were considering it as a part of boosting their Zealot support base.

3. Yes, but please run it by me first so I can consider the implications... and cost. It will not be cheap.

4. Possibly, at least one Order already does this though I may limit this to just the hex strategic boni.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pendor Social Development   Pendor Social Development Empty

Back to top Go down

Pendor Social Development
Page 1 of 1