Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Total War Games

Go down 
+12
Allard Ward
Sir Aranor
Mordred
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Tubby McChubbles
dowpride
Slopsen
Datedsandwich
Iskar
tobberman
Sir Arceon
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:26 am

The Total War games like Shogun 2, Medieval 2, and Rome. Has any one ever played them and if so discuss it here.
Back to top Go down
tobberman
Knight
tobberman

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:47 am

I have played Shogun 2, but mostly my Total War experience is from Empire. Pretty good games.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:48 am

Empire is definitely a lot of fun but it bugs me how slow it is to kill an enemy unit in a fire fight.
Back to top Go down
tobberman
Knight
tobberman

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 am

You just need couple artillery units to decimate enemy infantry or if you like cavalry charge from behind. Of course after playing shogun 2, I have seen that in Empire units rout more often, and I don't use cavalry so it becomes a nuisance to destroy enemy armies.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:53 am

Yes thats true, but one thing I hate is that in Napoleon there are some gunpowder-cavalry units, who always end up shooting allies.
Back to top Go down
tobberman
Knight
tobberman

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:55 am

I personally prefer Empire over Napoleon. Napoleon was just updated empire, it didn't bring anything new. And if you want versatile cavalry force in Empire, use light dragoons with cuirassiers.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:56 am

Yeah i know, I didn't particularly like Napoleon either.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 9:02 am

Played Rome and Medieval 2 with Kingdoms expansion mostly. Both were (and still are) highly addictive. I tried Napoleon recently but they switched the game engine between Medieval 2 and Empire and battles were rather messy and unit control felt somewhat awkward. I found it way more natural, fluent and intuitive in the prequels.
I've played the Napoleonic Warfare DLC on the Warband mp-community for quite some time now and for me napoleonic warfare must include proper volley fire, not the stupid skirmishesque default fire at will - together with the dominant morale effects. In these times you could not really hope to hit someone in a distance with a musket, since they were so inaccurate. The main point of musket fire was demoralising the enemy, so they would route or could be run down by cav. Same goes for artillery fire. Napoleon delivered hardly anything of that authentic feeling for me, I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 9:07 am

Yes i agree Medieval 2 and its expansions were my favorite Total War Games. Its mod community is one of the best I've seen for any game (check out Third Age Total War). And i've played Napoleonic Wars for Warband and I personally didn't really like it. It was way two slow paced,probably because everyone is standing behind cover taking pot shots at each other,the reload time is like a minute, and you cannot move while reloading. Then again I haven't played in a regiment or any organized battles like that though.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 9:10 am

I can only recommend that. An organised linebattle is a totally different thing than the random skirmishes you get in unorganised public battles. If you want, add 5th_Iskar on steam and I'll invite you to one of our battles, so you can get an impression. Smile

Back to topic: Yeah, played Third Age and it was pretty awesome, only drawback was that the game was way too slowpaced economically and regarding population growth. It took me 50 bloody rounds to rebuild Osgiliath. In the meantime I had defeated Mordred and Harad and no more use for the rebuilt city...
Back to top Go down
Datedsandwich
Knight
Datedsandwich

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 10:19 am

I've played Medieval 2 and the Kingdoms expansion. Currently playing the Call of Warhammer mod, and the Hyrule one was a nice blast from the past.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:07 am

From Rome to Empire and I play all extensively online with friends. However whenever viewing Empire I fall into a catatonic fit of rage for that pathetic buggy piece of half finished bull****. If you own Empire, get DMUC (Darth mods ultimate commander) it makes that horrific game merely bad.

I love Rome the most because all the different regions on the map actually have different tactical styles. Barbarians to the north west, Legions of rome in the middle, the well balanced carthaginian armies past sicily with the skirmishing Numidians to the south. In the east the phalanxes of Greece and the pikeman of the successor states followed by the horse archers of the steppes and the super heavy cavalry of the eastern powers. In all the other total war games all the factions had the exact same play style. If you love historical accuracy, check out the Europa Barbarorum mod for Rome, its hyper realistic. Everything has its ancient historically accurate name( Rome is called "Senatus Populesque Romani" and, it has period music (which is different for all the cultures), proper auxilary management and reworked voices that say all the unit names properly. Pezhetaroi instead of 'Pikeman'

I played Shogun 2 recently and saw it was eons better than the quaqmire that was empire so might pick it up in a steam bundle for christmas, I loved how the did the siege battles.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:51 am

You will love Rome 2. Plus if you get Shogun 2 I highly recommend Fall of the Samurai.

Iskar ive looked at regiments before but they unfortunately don't fit to my schedule. Plus try playing as High Elves, its so much easier to start off plus mass archer fire is a ton of fun.
Back to top Go down
dowpride
Knight
dowpride

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:13 pm

i have played everysingle one save the original shogun. med 1 was one of the first games that introduced me to the wondrous world of the PC. i have to say, there is nary a game in the market that can compare to some of the epic moments in the total war games, like the enemy daiymo, after losing his whole army, slowly walking into my gun fire to absolve himself of the dishonor. Date Masamune, i salute you. and shoot you. several hundred times.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:22 pm

Mine was as France in Med 2, i had an army deep in spain fighting a losing battle to give me time, they were slowly worn down by full banner after full banner, and after a bitter defeat i retreated to the mountains with only 300 men remaining in small platoons of 20's and 30's. I kid you not i defeated two thousand soldiers with that army and saved my empire, By perching them on a cliff with voulgiers, dismounted knights, archers and my valourous general. Epicness, triple distilled and fermented for 5 days, best battle to date.
Back to top Go down
dowpride
Knight
dowpride

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 1:29 pm

i was playing as the teutonic order in the expansion pack, and a full lithuanian army with medium level troops attacked one of my castles that had only a general (faction leader) and some priests. i charged out for one last stand, and my priests killed 300 men. they had 45. if that wasnt badass enough, my general, 80 generals bodyguard, killed 1130 people. on his own. finally, when there was 3 of them left, he charged into the final ranks of the enemy and killed 40 enemies before finally dying. due to this ridiculous occurrence, i was able to take back the castle next turn as they only had 300 men left. it was insane.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:37 pm

It happened to me twice in Med 2 that the Holy Roman Emperor himself attacked a smaller group of my soldiers on a supply route, while they had a bombard with them. In both cases the emperor's head was taken off by the last bombard ball I had them fire before retreating.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 10:39 pm

I own all the Total War games except Med 1 and Shogun 1, oyu can buy the Steam bundle for almost nothing now. If you have ever played Third Age Total War for Med 2, I like being the High Elves and facing the Dwarves. You can keep your archers on skirmish fire and since your so fast, your mass archer fire decimates their army every time (until you run out out of arrows thats why I keep 4 units of cav in my army every time).
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 11:36 pm

I am saddened that my PC is unlikely to be able to handle RTW2.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:54 am

It'll be about the same as shogun 2.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:10 am

I loved(and still love) Medieval 2 With Stainless steel installed. So addictive, and the fact that you write you'r own history is really fun. From uniting Itallian free cites, or doing reqonquista(or whatever it is spelled "_") to such crazy things like conquering Jarusalim with Pagan Lithuania, or setteling in North as an egypt. Very well made game, which imo supports not one way to play it(you can be millitary or commercial/diplomatic conqueror for example)
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 am

I tried playing Civ 5, which is kinda like stainless steel, but I hated it. Way to slow paced, you cant look forward to any action, and one game lasts forever. Theres 50 bucks ill never get back.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 1:54 am

Civ introduced me to gaming Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 3:14 am

Civ 1-4 were fantastic, hated, hated HATED Civ 5. Some seriously stupid design decisions made with that one.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 3:20 am

Mordred wrote:
Civ 1-4 were fantastic, hated, hated HATED Civ 5. Some seriously stupid design decisions made with that one.

Love civ 4!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Total War Games Empty
PostSubject: Re: Total War Games   Total War Games Empty

Back to top Go down

Total War Games
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath :: Sarleon :: The Den of Iniquities-
Jump to: