Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Multiplayer Thread

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

The Multiplayer Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:46 am

A few days ago I found out about this board game engine called Vassal (www.vassalengine.org; you download the software and the mod of the board game you'd like to play).

If anyone would like to play the Game of Thrones board game, just let me know and we'll make a PoP session! My ID, uncreatively, is "Saeros".
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:48 am

If Kingmaker is added, I will play this. Wink It is my favorite board game, but unfortunately possesses some extreme flaws. It's virtually impossible to actually finish the game, though I did manage to win a three player game after 4 hours.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:56 am

As far as I know you're able to customize the game: tides of battle and house rules, for example. I think it's also possible to block houses from the game.

I'm not sure what you mean by kingmaker.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 am

Kingmaker is a wonderful game from the 70s that Avalon-Hill stopped making. It's set during the War of the Roses. Each player represents a certain faction of nobles, and has certain cards with troop numbers which represent specific nobles... and they can die all the time. They can be rewarded with offices or sometimes landed estates to boost their troops and holdings. Then the players fight for control of the Houses of Lancaster and York... while trying to kill off all other claimants.

Supposedly, the player who controls the last claimant, and crowns him/her, wins the game. That just... never happens. The game was too focused on being an 'accurate' representation of the era than on being a winnable game.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 7:59 am

would a simple Netbook be able to run it?

If so, I'd like to try after my exams.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:05 am

Eccolo: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Kingmaker

Aelos: yes. Although my notebook is quite average, I can run it with a pitiful wireless connection. It's just a HD photo of the board with some basic interface for the rules and pieces. You should have no problem.

DiabloDude: if you're reading this, perhaps you should take a look at it for your Pop metagame conversion.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:15 am

second edition game of thrones? I'm getting it now..
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:46 am

I was looking for something like this for quite a while. Investigating.
EDIT: ooh, Axis and Allies!

Last edited by Tubby McChubbles on Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:47 am

It's the only multiplayer that my internet connection allows at this moment.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 am

I have the latest GoT version (1.30) and my name is Aelos..
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:51 am

RIIIIIISK (Which I'm intensely unlucky at.)
Downloading GoT.
Back to top Go down
dowpride
Knight
dowpride

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 8:53 am

i would be up for a bit of fun!
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:35 am

I have been told that the BSG boardgame is suprisingly good, but it says 2-3 hours, so I think that's a no.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:38 am

Battlestar Galactica? Really? I'll check that in a few months.

So, I'll log in tomorrow, perhaps we can try something. I have version 1.30 as well.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:40 am

Saeros wrote:
Battlestar Galactica? Really? I'll check that in a few months.

So, I'll log in tomorrow, perhaps we can try something. I have version 1.30 as well.

Cool!
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 9:46 am

It took me some time to understand how to join a game. Here's a summary.

1) Open mod
2) Click on the huge USB button on the tab.
3) Click on the small button with two arrows at the toolbar that pops up once you did 2).
4) Create new game or join one.

"Sync" means "join".

Each folder tab on that window is a different game. Some people inside those folders are just observers.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:26 am

Kingmaker? NO WAI!

I actually have no one to play it with now. (Partially because I am paranoid... I bought what I claim is the last new copy in existence a few years ago, and people don't seem to appreciate having TV-trays set up near the gaming table for their drinks...)

Online play would be fun, except for that part where it is almost impossible to finish a game... (Mordred, pay attention! It really is possible to have a great game that is so fatally flawed that it is a crap game at the same time. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 am

I think these long games are more suited for face-to-face sessions.

A friend of a friend plays a game with 1:30 set up time and average 6 hours session. He thinks it's great. I think they have too much free time.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 10:37 am

Yeeeaaah... when I was semi-regularly playing Kingmaker, I just left it set up on a card table. We still never finished a game before boredom was an issue, except for the three player one. The parliament system is really entertaining once the 'late-game' stage is reached, where most of the nobles, titles, and offices have been allocated and whatever is available to be distributed during parliament can tip the scales. I spent an entire evening session with one parliament and all the negotiations... sooo much fun!

The saving grace of the flawed gameplay is that individual turns don't take much time, and the general open-ness is very well suited towards house rules. I've come up with an honor system for my games. More or less the rule is that players are not allowed to keep their nobles/armies in the field unless they have a specific purpose. Otherwise they must be garrisoned in a city or castles. Castles have a limited capacity, but cities are threatened by plague cards, which kill everyone inside of them. It's quite the trade-off, but keeps the game much more interesting... just subject to players not abusing the house rule.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 am

Alright, I figured out how it works :p

Edit:
I have no idea how GoT works. plus I have an 11 inch screen, wich makes it even less understandable. (I only see half of what's going on).

I'm afraid I'll have to pass on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Multiplayer Thread   The Multiplayer Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Multiplayer Thread
Page 1 of 1