Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep Empty
PostSubject: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyWed Nov 28, 2012 12:45 pm

In the central tower of Dawnbreak Keep, Lord Aranor was standing next to a great oaken table, at its center a map of the Fierdsvain's coasts. On it were lines detailing Ship Patrols, sentry watch positions, Vanskerry sightings, etc.

[This is an IC planning thread. This is where we all talk out our schemes instead of in an OOC thread.]
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 4:14 am

The banner of the Dawn fluttered in the chilly breeze as the Dawnites rode into the outskirts of Dawnbreak Keep. Winter was closing in on the Fierdsvain Reaches, the time to bring in all the harvests into storage, and the cattle well-fed enough to keep them through the winter months. The gods have been kind to Pendor though, especially to the Fierdsvain. In the reach winters are wet and cold, but not as unforgiving as the north or other places. So as the freezing winds blow from the sea, so do the ships of the Vanskeery take to Pendor, looking to plunder the land as they have for generations.

"So this is what I'll be looking forward to if I ever become a lord," said one of the knights as he and his band trotted through the farm plots. "Acres of land, peasants to tend them, and a fine castle for me an my own."
His comrade laughed, "Lord Mattias, Baron of the Reach, Lord of Dawnbreak Castle; you sure picked a time to be a lord, service to the Goddess not good enough for you?"
"No brother Andreas," the knight clarified, "I thank Astraea for every day she allows to continue service for a better land. Its just who would've guessed that one of our own would come to rule..."
He just looked out on the field, watching the peasants do their humble chores.
"Rule all this," he finished, "Fightin' to right the land worthy of the goddess is one thing, but to actually hold a piece of it...the goddess is sure kind."
As Mattias spoke, Andreas also became lost in the scenery. He can hear the cows moo-ing, and the birds in the trees. Somewhere children are playing in-between their chores. A harmony between the land and its people. Peace.
"And so she is, brother," responding in a low voice, "so she is."

Behind them, hooves clomped heavily on the dirt road, coming closer to the two.
"Let's increase this pace brothers, we mustn't keep the grandmaster waiting," spoke the rider.
The two knights saluted, "Yes Commander Varis," increasing their pace. They arrived at the gatehouse and made their way through the narrowed road to the stables, making their way through garrison soldiers and curious locals.
They made their way into Dawnbreak Keep, and into the central war room, where the grandmaster was waiting. The three knights saluted, and Varis introduced his men. "Grandmaster Aranor, these are two of my most trusted, Knights Mattias and Andreas, Mattias I believe was with you at Veccavia."
Varis handed Aranor letters, sealed in wax with the Dawn's insignia.
"The chapters have all received your orders and preparation are being made to distribute knight-patrols along the Fierdsvain counties. Our lands are ready to be placed on lock-down, and sentry posts are being tended to by the locals."

Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 am

Aranor smiled

"Thank you Sir Varis. I knew I could count on you."

Aranor nodded towards Mattias and Andreas

"Mattias, I remember you, on that day.."

he lost himself, remembering the faces of the comrades he had lost at Veccavia.

He then caught himself, and smiled again

"That was quite a hairy situation we caught ourselves in eh?"

He then stood and went over the map again.

"Thank Astraea we had the foresight to build that sentry system, else we would have been caught completely off guard."

He then faced Varis

"I have sent letters out to the King and the Merchant Guilds reporting of our discovery. I have requested meetings with the Merchant princes of Valonbray and Javiksholm. There I will speak of defending the coast lines, and perhaps convince them to form a collective of sorts among themselves. The last thing we need is for the economy to worsen out in the West as well."

He sighed

"I am also sending out guarded carriages of gold to the Bishops near Ironoak and Gunder's lodge. In case of any of those damn Vanskerries gets through, the Church will be able to dispense gold in the form of charities to aid those injured and robbed in the raids."

He pointed towards a stack of letters

"Those are letters to all the lords of the West. Hopefully I can call for a Fierd-Moot*. If I can get Bjorn Farstrider, or Doomseeker to agree, we have a good chance that the nobles will assemble."

"I'm also planning for a trip to the Mettenheim trade station. I need to speak to their ambassador. Hopefully the meeting will benefit both of us."
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:11 am

Arceon sat on his horse as he looked at the sheer beauty that was Dawnbreak keep. He needed to get to the castle though so he dug his spurs into his horse as he gently galloped towards his destination.
"Sir Arceon, drillmaster of the dawn" Arceon said to the guards when they asked for identification.
"Ah, hello Sir, welcome to Dawnbreak Keep." One of the guards said as they recognized his face and allowed entry.
Arceon then wasted no time, he dismounted and gave his horse to a stable hand and entered the castle heading straight to Aranor and the meeting room.
"Hello my brothers, I am here to help Astrea reach her goals." He said on arrival to Sir Varis and his Grandmaster Aranor.
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 am

Mattias flushed, "Yes sir, strange day indeed.." He glanced at Sir Andreas, who tried to hide his snicker over a fake cough.
The knight straightened up, "And a glorious one at that," he said proudly.

After thanking the Grandmaster for his kind words, Varis moved to the map at the center table, circling it, and placed various stone marker pieces denoting assigned patrols and troop positions while Aranor debriefed him on the situation. He was about to reach across the table for carved wagon map-piece, but was interrupted from behind when Sir Aceron's entered.
Sir Arceon wrote:
"Hello my brothers, I am here to help Astrea reach her goals." He said on arrival to Sir Varis and his Grandmaster Aranor.
Varis stopped and turned around, recognizing the knight.
"Sir Aceron," he greeted, offering his right arm for a brotherly clasp, "perfect timing as always drillmaster, we were just going over our plans for this campaign."
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 10:01 am

"Hello Varis, glad to see you here." Arceon said in a companionably tone as he recived the brotherly clasp.
"Now, what do we have in store for this campaign." Arceon said as he examined the map, catching himself up to date.
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 10:38 am

The old knight filled the drillmaster in.
<Aranor and Varis repeat details from post 3>

"So the patrol," he explained while moving its represented piece on the battlemap, "is going to go from the chapter here, to this region here," placing the map piece back in its original location.
"That's the general plan," Varis finished. He allowed Aceron to take in what was said.
Varis then fiddled with a stone wagon piece that represented the resource convey heading to Ironoak.
"But surely now is not the best time to send out gold-laden wagons," addressing the grandmaster, "surely a bill of credit would suffice to reimburse the bishoprics until the raiders have been dealt with?"

Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:27 am

"Aye, it would not be wise to encourage the Vanskerry with a tempting target such as that. Unless necessary I suggest avoiding it. If necessary we could always try to disguise it with something less valuable, say salt.
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:47 am

"Being targeted is not the issue, its the risking actual valuables when not necessary that concerns me," Varis clarified.
"But..." He paused while staring at the map, stroking his chin.
"The raiders are here for plunder, why don't we give them what they want. We don't need to chase them down with patrols, we could set up caravans as targets opportunity and use them to bait raider parties into ambushes. It'll be only a while before they realize what we're doing, but at the very least a few successful ambushes would make them hesitant in their attacks."
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Sir Aranor thought for a bit

"Yes.. But we would need to keep it very close to the coast. It would also be risky, as they might also be going for the fishing villages."

"perhaps for Gunder's county, where we have more men to spare."
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 10:58 pm

"That would seem to work, but what if we were to trace where they were coming from, as we would be able to do it multiple times before they caught on and eventually get the general idea of where one or two of their camps are, and while they are tracking down the caravan, we attack their base." Arceon said pointing at the map and the caravan.
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 4:51 am

"We should pray that they'll be that foolish; Vanskerries are careful to to keep their landing hidden, never returning for weeks and only if they have enough plunder to carry and leave Pendor altogether. Our best trackers could scour the coasts for months, and goddess willing we find a landing camp, they'll be entrenched ready to retreat to open waters once we attack."
Varis sighed, "These people have plagued the coasts for centuries; a common fact of life in the west. The only thing we can do is kill them before they do too much damage; it's like delousing a horse, prick all the lice you want the parasites will be back in due time."

He pounded his fist on the table, "We kill them anyway we can: ride them down in the hills of Ironoak, and ambush them in the woods of Gunder's Lodge; show them that this land will not give up its bounty without a fight!"
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 7:22 am

"We must protect the people from this menace, I agree, but we must do it in a careful manor. We need to do it with as little loss of life on our side as possible, and for that we need some sort of a plan." Arceon said to Varis.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 11:51 am

"Well said.. both of you."

"We need to play off their greed. We shall have caravans go through the woods of Gunder's county, disguised as merchant caravans to Valonbray. We shall have contingents of miltia spearmen posing as caravan guards. All caravans will be defended by an outrider group of Dawn riders, and a large group of Militia archers hiding in the trees. The Archers will loose their arrows to get the Vanskerries into a shield wall, and the outriders shall wipe them out with a devastating charge to the back."

"I shall send letters to Jarl Iceheart and Lord Vigdus. They must be informed of the armies we are about to send through their counties."
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 9:20 pm

Varis simply bowed in thanks.
"Have you given any thought in assigning a commander to any of our armies on the field," he asked, "I feel I could do more good out on the field than the war room."
Knight Andreas jumped in, "Aye Grandmaster, me as well."
Not to be outdone, Mattias added, in a much louder tone, "And me too!" The sudden outburst echoed loudly through the large room.
Varis glared at both knights for their interruption, both recomposing themselves under the glow of the Judicator's stare.
"Sorry commander, grandmaster," both apologizing, slightly embarrassed.
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 am

"I can be wherever needed, but I could use some fresh air too." Arceon said with a grin.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Sir Aranor mused on it a bit, then took a few flag pieces on the table and started placing them on the map

"I wish I could lead the troops myself, but I have too much business to attend to at the moment."

"Sir Varis, you shall lead the men in Gundur's County."

"Sir Fabien will lead our forces on the Valonbray peninsula, he's good with managing those banners."

"Sir Arceon, you will go with Mattias to Ironoak County. Arceon proved himself capable with commanding lighter cavalry and outriders in Javiksholm.

"Sir Rodrick is one of our more experienced commanders. He is currently out west in Ansen county. Andreas, you are to report to him and serve as his second in command. Blaze will also be going with you."

"Do you all understand?"

Last edited by Sir Aranor on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 pm

Both Mattias and Andreas saluted, "Yes Grandmaster!" Sir Mattias took his respective place at Sir Arceon's side, meanwhile Andreas made his way to the other side of the room beside a smaller table and started rummaging through a pile of intelligence reports, looking for anything concerning Ansen County.
Varis was recognizably pleased by his orders, "Thank you lord Aranor, I shall to bring victory for Astarea and her Dawn."
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:34 pm

"Thank you commander, I won't fail you." Arceon said with pride at this unexpected position, then he proceeded to go to the map and started to examine where he would be during the operation.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:41 pm

Sir Aranor nodded

"Arceon, when you go to Ironoak, go to our stockade, and seek our Commander Rineheart. He has been in that area for several years, and may have maps and tools to help you with guarding the villages."

Sir Aranor looked to Sir Varis

"You of course will be leading the third company, judicator. Any Vanskerry vessels heading south of Valonbray will most likely be going near Nal Tar, but stay alert."

Sir Aranor then looked at the city of Valonbray on the map

"Gentlemen. After leaving to go to the Mettenheim trade station, I will be stopping near the cities to meet with the Merchant princes."

He then pointed at Mistrock Island

"Governor Fitzmerwill has sent me letters informing me of their measures in securing Mistrock. They also have placed a bonfire to warn us of any Longships coming towards the Main land."

Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 am

"I will send for knights and retainers of the third to meet me in Gunder's County," he replied, "maybe we'll impress Iceheart with our deeds he'll offer a token to be added to the company standard."

"As for the raiders," he asked inquisitively, "say they were merely passing through the county, meaning to pillage further south in Sher Quila and Nar Tal...would we..."
There were two pieces on the region of Gunder's County, Varis let the pieces finish his thought; a silver knight on horse representing the Dawn, a vanskerry barbarian for the raiders. Both were sharing the same graphed space, both in seeming opposition. He moved the vanskerry piece south on the map, moving the knight aside as if offering way. He then took another knight piece not being used in the off-corner, this one painted in ebony black as opposed to sterling silver, and placed it in the region between Sher Quila and Nar Tal. Taking control of the Vanskerry once more, he dragged the figurine south, well away from Gunder and the silvered knight.
The black knight and raider were side to side on the graphed map-plane, the black knight and raider now in seeming opposition.

Mattias watched the pieces move, all the while feeling a chill creeping upon him. Andreas in the corner table, made his way back to the war-room map keenly interested at the idea.
Varis stayed silent, awaiting a response from his peers and the grandmaster.

Last edited by MordKaiser87 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

The Grandmaster grew silent as he saw the knight move the pieces.

He grabbed ahold of the vanskerry piece and looked Varis in the eye

"The Knights of the Dawn have two duties. We have a duty to Astraea, and we have a duty to this realm. What you are suggesting compromises both of our duties."

He uses his other hand to point at the regions near the ebony black figurine

"We cannot knowingly let the raiders pillage villages and kill innocent people. What would Astraea think? Us, condemning innocents to die, for the sake of a wayward order of pompous knights? Yes. They would do this to us given the chance, but that does not mean that we will. We are better than them, we will not stoop down to their level."

"The people in those villages, in their territory, are no different than the ones you saw on the way here. They are innocents, making an honest living in a harsh world. They don't have much in the way of material possessions, their lives would be ruined if they were raided by those barbarians."

"They are going to have their own raiders to deal with soon. They will have to hold down their counties. We don't need to add anymore to their troubles."

"Our king is depending on us to defend this land. I have no intention of squandering his faith like that bastard Darlion."

He placed the piece next to the Silver Knight

"I know how much you hate the Eventide Varis. But we cannot allow our personal bias to poison our judgement. I am placing my trust in you by sending you so close to Eventide lines, in a position of leadership. Do not make me regret it."

He looked at Varis
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 am

He simply stood in place. Varis did not bother to appeal to his peers; from the mouth of Astarea to the Grandmaster's lips. His word was final.
He closed his eyes; He could hear his mentor's voice, "Remember this boy..." his mentor chastised.
He gritted his teeth at the memory. He could feel the scar on his cheek tingle.

"And I accept your vow," recalling another memory, "and that of your men my friend."
It was Aranor's voice, the day Varis, the Third, and countless other renegade Dawn knights reunited in Valonbray.
On their knees swords drawn in submission, the Knights of the Third and Varis made their pledge:
"I, Knight Varis and all who follow me, declare Aranor Vilaren, Paladin and Champion of the Dawn. We do so swear, to serve you with duty and honor..."

"Sir," chimed Mattias, "Sir Varis?"
The old knight broke the spell of recollection, the room was still unchanged, the grandmasters face was still stern, but he could see a hint of worry.
"No your grace," Varis replied looking at Aranor, "I will keep your trust. I will serve you and the the goddess with honor, and preform my duty to king and the kingdom."
Mattias breathed a quiet sigh of relief, Andreas simply nodded in respect.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:48 am

Aranor smiled, secretly relieved that the Knight agreed

"Do not fret Varis. We will bring the fight to them. But, we cannot endanger the innocents to achieve that goal. Remember those knights that came here, before we marched against the Red Dawn? The ones led by Sir Ferallan? They told us about how the Knights of the Eventide behave."

He eyed the ebony black figure.

"If you see any, passing the border, you have my express permission to engage."

Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:57 am

Varis could not hide his smile, "Yes grandmaster, it will be my pleasure."
"And I know where my priorities are," he added, "I will not forgo my duty to the people to chase traitors across the border."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep   IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep Empty

Back to top Go down

IC Scene: Dawnbreak Keep
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next