Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An idea for character managing

Go down 
+10
Tonedyr
Kamos
Ser Varys
Alaric Reiner
Sir Haegon
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Psychozoa
Iskar
Mordred
Saeros
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

An idea for character managing - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:26 am

Honestly, for that action (tying a chair to a ballista bolt, then sitting on it and launching the bolt) he would in the best case have gotten "Smashed against castle wall" with the description "dead"...
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:30 am

I know I know, but because he (somehow... must have been a benevolent deity watching that day... one that was highly amused by the action...) survived, I think the Maimed Leg would have been a decent outcome.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 am

Make the gods laugh and you shall be lucky...

How about we simply look at an actual case to get a feeling for those traits and discuss what is reasonable?

Iskar Levellin

Background : Ranger, (Commoner)

He is a ranger but was raised as a commoner, although he learned to hide that in his pronounciation and demeanour. Nobles will still look down on him in many cases because of his low birth.

Traits:

Keen senses (Silvermist trait)
Diplomat (as stated by Saeros)
Survivalist (bio: spent considerable time in the eastern forests)
Tracking (bio: same as above)
Sharpshooter (bio/Silvermist trait)
Master Bureaucrat (he has driven directing the flows of money, resources and troops to perfection - and his contemporaries mad probably: maybe discounts for select actions but traditionalist nobles will be irritated by the obsessive bureaucracy and administration)
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 3:26 am

Sir Mastifus

Background - Noble Warlord; Mastifus grew up in a small fortified manor on the the Mystmountain frontier, and had to fight from a very early age. While he does possess impressive fighting skills, he found his true strength lay in commanding others, and inspiring them to greater deeds. He is of a noble heritage, but his family and lands have been wiped out. Relation bonus with soldiers and militaristic nobles, penalty with peaceful or pacifist characters.

Traits

Renowned in Ravenstern (Dragon and personal trait)
Members of the Order of the Dragon enjoy a high standing within Ravenstern due to their position as the guardians of the region, and their exceptional track record in doing this (Respected in Ravenstern Trait). Mastifus, as the leader of the Dragons has earned himself a higher degree of respect (Renowned in Ravenstern).
Significant relation bonus with other Ravenstern Nationalists, small bonus with people from Ravenstern, small penalty from unitary people and large penalty with those who dislike / hate Ravenstern culture.

Hardy (Dragon trait)
All members of the Order of the Dragon have exceptional endurance thanks to having endured prolonged campaigns in the frigid North.
Additional stamina, toughness and a powerful constitution. Injuries which would maim an ordinary Knight become just a flesh wound.

Intimidating II (RP and personal trait)
Mastifus has built up a persona of being intimidating to others, and his scarred, battleworn features only enhance this effect.
Bonus when trying to intimidate others.

Iron Willed (RP trait)
They used to say "As unmovable as a mountain", now they say "as unmovable as Mastifus".
Exceptional mental fortitude and determination, but can be as stubborn as an ox.

Master Swordsman (personal trait)
Mastifus is a very accomplished swordsman (1 handed with shield, and 2 handed), though he often hides this fact as he prefers to command.
Significant bonus using swords of all kinds. Can use complex sword techniques.

Accomplished Rider (personal trait)
Mastifus has spent much of his life on campaign while mounted. As such he is an accomplished rider.
Slight bonus when mounted.

Commander V* (personal and RP trait)
Mastifus is a Natural (II), Experienced (II) and a Grandmaster (I)
Can command 5 units in battle.

Scarred III** (wound)
Mastifus visibly wears the wounds of countless battles, none more imposing than the mighty scar that runs down his face and through his missing eye.
Bonus when trying to intimidate. Bonus with military characters. Penalty with Nobles. Permanent.

One Eyed (wound)
Mastifus lost an eye long ago in battle.
Penalty with depth perception, penalty with ranged weapons, penalty to field of vision (can be sneaked up on more easily). Permanent.
Note - I know that Blind currently fits this description, but there should be 2 tiers. One Eyed is more about depth perception and field of view, while Blind is more about hindered sight or complete blindness. Mastifus is One Eyed, Duke Aldamar is Blind.

*Command Level should be I - VII as below

I : Normal Command Ability
II : Natural Command Ability

0 : Inexperienced Commander
I : Tested Commander (Normal)
II : Experienced Commander (Advanced)
III : Veteran Commander (Exceptional)

I : Duke / Grandmaster
II : King

Add the level of each category together, and you come out with the Commander Total.

Suggestions;
King Mordred : Commander VII (all command traits)
Duke Darlion / Duke Alamar : Commander VI (Natural / Veteran / Duke)
Sir Mastifus / Sir Aranor / Sir Kamos / Sir Lucius / Marcus : Commander V (Natural / Experienced / Grandmaster)
Iskar : Commander IV (Normal / Experienced / Grandmaster)
Most Knights : Commander II (Normal / Tested)
Most Squires : Commander I (Normal / Inexperienced)

As a result I would suggest command rules are re-visited now that combat has become more well developed.

** Scars
Should range from 0-V
0 - Baby faced
I - Some scarring
II - Numerous scars
III - Heavily scarred
IV - Damaged face (broken jaw or shattered cheek bones)
V - Wrecked face (unrecognisable)
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:11 am

let me try it as well,

Sir Jareth Meraxes

Foreign Noble Warlord: I was born and raised in Barclay as a member of a noble family

--> Master Swordsman and Basher (that is basically all I can do)

--> Tactician (due to my training in Barclay)

--> Unflappable

--> Commander III (Natural + Tested)
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:05 pm

The renowned Flying Griffon comes off as an ordinary knight with these stats. Smile Though his nickname comes from the habit of using a tackling jump to dismount in battles, instead of a legendary fighting ability.

But, since I portrayed Haegon as the renowned Flying Griffon before his 'death' and the fact of his 'resurrection' wich should raise some eyebrows.. would someone mind if I added a renown trait?
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:09 pm

What has your character done that has deserved the renown trait?

Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:18 pm

Sir Aranor wrote:

Controversy over his return? It's not 'heroic slaughter' renown, but it's something. Also if I remember correctly, most nobles (and PC's) that Haegon met after his return had heard of the Flying Griffon before and no further introduction was needed.

Though I didn't want to add it before, because obviously it isn't close to the renown of Aranor/Iskar (or Mastifus in Ravenstern). But it could be a renown among certain groups of people, like former followers of Darlion, or those who've read about or fought in the battle of Sarleon.

The jumping/dismounting could be a trait, too. As a plus when battles, since it's what gave him the lasting nickname.

Admins/saeros' call though.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Sir Haegon wrote:
Sir Aranor wrote:

Controversy over his return? It's not 'heroic slaughter' renown, but it's something. Also if I remember correctly, most nobles (and PC's) that Haegon met after his return had heard of the Flying Griffon before and no further introduction was needed.

Though I didn't want to add it before, because obviously it isn't close to the renown of Aranor/Iskar (or Mastifus in Ravenstern). But it could be a renown among certain groups of people, like former followers of Darlion, or those who've read about or fought in the battle of Sarleon.

The jumping/dismounting could be a trait, too. As a plus when battles, since it's what gave him the lasting nickname.

Admins/saeros' call though.

I was just curious about what your character did

How about the following:

A renown bonus for Barclese conquistador npc's, (maybe a 20%-30% that they remember you or have heard about you)

A renown bonus for people that know about the battle of Sarleon.
(I'm sure the Flying Griffon faked his death in a spectacular fashion Wink)
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 pm

Well, Mordred introduced the Respected trait with the second level Renowned, but since you also included the Hard to Trust trait I'd say "Well known among loyalists" would be fitting. With appropriate actions in service of the king this could be developed into Respected among Loyalists, where Loyalists applies to all people who either have an affiliation with the Griffon and/or the crown.

As for the jumping I'd be rather careful about that. I doubt you can actually jump from your horse when you're in full plate and have your feet in stirrups. The latter would be your only hope for something to push off, but ironically the stirrups are just what holds your feet in place, not even speaking of the sheer weight of the armour.
I'd say you could use the flying move when using light armour (leather, a bit of chainmail) granted that your character has a special saddle/stirrups made for him to fit this need. E.g. stirrups that are open to one side, so you can at least jump off to that side without your feet tangling in the stirrups and possible breaking your legs.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm

I'll keep the suggestions in mind until saeros/mordred have given their opinion as well,

I'm interested in using the "Well known among loyalists" and the "Barclay renown" traits.
The jumping from a horse being so damned difficult I didn't even consider while creating the character, so I'll have to think about a way he might have done it. (Not wearing plate might be the most logical solution, as a mercenary would sooner wear chainmail and were the Griffons plated knights back then? Or just puffed up mercenaries...)

Edit:
"Barclay renown" could be a combination of 'hard to trust' and 'Foreigner', as both traits reference to his time spend in Barclay.
Back to top Go down
Tonedyr
Knight
Tonedyr

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:07 pm

Also, jumping off a horse is probably more dangerous to you than your opponent - people have died from falling off horses (though you're unlikely to be landing on your head and breaking your neck when jumping).
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 11:17 pm

Tonedyr wrote:
Also, jumping off a horse is probably more dangerous to you than your opponent - people have died from falling off horses (though you're unlikely to be landing on your head and breaking your neck when jumping).

That's why people started calling him the 'Flying Griffon', because it is a risky thing to do. But, just like horse acrobatics, if you do it often enough...
Back to top Go down
Sir Aodh
Knight
Sir Aodh

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 am

Orlando Bloom broke a rib failing off a horse.... funny story behind that one.

for scars are we going by the I to V thing that Mordred proposed or the original 1-10?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 3:52 am

Sir Aodh wrote:

for scars are we going by the I to V thing that Mordred proposed or the original 1-10?

I-V
Back to top Go down
Sir Arceon
Knight
Sir Arceon

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 8:36 am

What exactly is the command trait based on?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An idea for character managing   An idea for character managing - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

An idea for character managing
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2