IC-Scene: Wayrest

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

IC-Scene: Wayrest Empty
PostSubject: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptySat Mar 02, 2013 1:11 pm

Hooves clattered on cobblestone as the Lord Constable and his entourage rode into the courtyard of Wayrest Castle. Several stableboys hurried to take care of the horses while Iskar proceeded to the keep, where he was greeted by the castellan.

Milord, everything has been prepared for you. There is a room with an office nearby and supper will soon be served in the hall.

Thank You, Iskar replied with a grateful smile. Please send all messengers up to the office in half an hour's time.

Of course, Milord. The castellan bowed and left.

Iskar had a servant bring his saddle bags up to the rooms where he unpacked them and took his personal ledger and writing equipment to the office. There he studied the reports, waiting for the messengers.

[Now Psychozoa's messengers from PotE as well as Alaric Reiner and his report from Eastcrown can come in.]

Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:31 am

Just around noon a messenger came down the road from Laria. He fastened his horse at the Stables and asked for the Constable. He was in no hurry, so he chatted a little with the stableboy and some of the guards before entering the Castle and walking to the office of Iskar. The Constable was sitting at his desk when the messenger entered through the open door.

"My Lord, he bowed deeply I have a letter for from the south."

He approached the desk and gave him the letter then he retreated 2 meters and waited for a reply after the Constable read the letter.

As you open the letter quite a lot of sand falls onto your desk, the writing is bad, it was probably written on horseback.

Spoiler:

Sir Jareth Meraxes:

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 1:54 pm

A short time later another messenger had arrived, one of the Clarion Call Rangers that had accompanied Reiner to Eastcrown by way of the Larian Road. His horse trotted over the gate and was handed off to one of the guards to take to the stables for some clearly needed rest and nourishment.

Gaining entrance to the castle was not an issue as he was in full regalia of a Ranger and he asked the first guard he saw about eh whereabouts of Iskar. Finding Iskar's office he entered and without much of a preamble besides "Alaric Reiner sends his regards sir." he handed him the message. After it was open it was also written in poor handwriting, though that was probably because its author was unused to writing, having only recently learned the skill if the spelling mistakes were any judge. The messenger stepped back from the desk and stood at attention, hands clasped behind his back.

It read:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Iskar read the letter from the south, then nodded in content. He checked some of the reports and lists and started writing out explicit orders for the acquired goods and cattle. When he was half way through, however, the messenger from Reiner arrived.

Reading it caused a growing smile on Iskar's face.

Is Alaric Reiner on his way here? he asked the messenger.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm

The messenger shrugged.

I don't know sir. He said honestly. He told me to head back to Laria after I delivered my message to you. I would guess that he is headed back to the Clarion Hall to await further orders.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 am

Then head back quickly, and order him here. I'll be at Wayrest another day or two, Iskar replied.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:13 am

The man nodded and a few moments later was out the door, leaving Iskar with his letters and ledgers. Procurring a fresh horse, the ranger was galloping back the way he came, encountering Reiner and his party a few miles out from Laria and delivering Iskar's orders.

Reiner listened to the man before nodding and twitching his head back at the column behind him.

Fall in Ranger.

The column headed for Wayrest at a respectable speed, but nothing like the pace the messenger had set, it didn't seem prudent to push the horses that hard to Reiner. Arriving shortly after Duskfall, the Clarions were milling about in the courtyard as their leader ascended the steps to Iskar's room where in his usual fashion of being semi-brusque he smacked his fist loudly on the wooden door frame and waited.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:29 am

Yet no one answered. Attracted by the noise a castle guard came trotting round a corner and, seeing Reiner waiting in front of the door, said: You won't find him there. His lordship has gone to the great hall.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 3:56 am

Reiner gave the man a nod of thanks before descending the stairs again and wandered through the halls, heading deeper into the castle until he walked through the door into the Great Hall. To an observer he would have looked very out of place, as he was still dressed in his armor and bloodstained tabard from the action at Eastcrown and was looking up at the stone ceiling like he thought it would fall on is head at a given moment.

He was also armed, festooned with his weapons, at his belt he had his Jatu re-curve bow in a holster along with a quiver of arrows at the small of his back. At his waist he also had his long knife and broadsword which had been lovingly cleaned on the ride to the Castle.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 4:51 am

As he entered he found the sides of the great hall lined with Clarion Call and Silvermist rangers. At the rear end Iskar had taken seat on the lord's chair with a familiar looking man standing on his right. It was Lieutenant Grafton, the officer that had technically been in charge of Alaric's mission to Eastcrown. Iskar beckoned Alaric to come nearer and when the ranger stood in front of the dais he said:

Alaric Reiner, I have just received the full report of your endeavours at Eastcrown from Lieutenant Grafton. He shortly nodded towards the officer on his right. As it seems, appropriate consequences are in order.
Not only did you accomplish your mission, but in the process you also displayed ingenuity, flexibility and valour. You acted decisively, without hesitation but with the necessary consideration, adapted to each situation quickly and in the end showed no inappropriate mercy towards our enemies.

The Lord Constable was smiling now and rose from his seat, drawing his silvered longsword.

Kneel, Alaric.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:08 am

Reiner sunk to one knee without argument, his left one, and rested his right arm on his knee, not taking his eyes off of Iskar, his mind whirling in a hundred directions at once at this turn of events.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:24 am

Iskar first tapped Reiner's right shoulder with the flat side of his blade, saying: May your sword strike down our enemies...

Then he raised the blade again and tapped the left shoulder, saying: ... and may your shield guard the weak.

He sheathed the sword again. Arise, Sir Alaric.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:29 am

With a rustle of chainmail, the newest knight of the Clarion Call got to his feet, smacking a mailed fist to his chest plate in salute.

Thank you my lord. I shall do the Order proud.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 am

I have no doubts about that, Iskar replied, and I intend to give you sufficient opportunity for that. I expect you in my office this evening to discuss the details.
But for now, congratulations, Sir knight.

With the that hall erupted in applause as his new knight-brethren congratulated Alaric.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 5:56 am

A small grin flickered over Reiners features, a relatively rare occurence before he went to meet his new Brethren. After withstanding what felt like an eternity of handshakes and enough smacks on the back to make him sure he would have bruises even underneath his armor, Reiner found himself outside Iskar's office again late that evening.

Let us try this again. He thought to himself as he knocked on the door again.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:15 am

Come in! the Constable's voice called from the inside.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 7:27 am

Reiner pushed the door open and walked in without preable, coming to a stop in front of the desk. The bloody tabard was gone, likely stuffed into a fireplace somewhere when Reiner had decided that it was beyond help. His armor was cleaner than before, apparently being knighted made the scruffy young steppe nomad think he had to put on some appearances. He started talking in his raspy, coarse voice.

Here as ordered Sir.

Last edited by Alaric Reiner on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:33 am

Excellent. Iskar shoved around some documents and out two other scrolls aside. Now, first of all, he said, your actions at Eastcrown not only justified a knighting, but in fact an immediate promotion to knight-sergeant. Anticipating a certain astonishment by the knight he raised his hand and continued: Don't worry. I'm not rushing promotions here. Knight-Sergeant is the lowest officer rank of the order and it will give you the possibility to make full use of your approved skills in leading operations.

Also, together with your new rank you will be given a piece of land and an estate located in Isenfeld.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:47 am

The only sign that reiner was surprised was when he blinked when Iskar mentioned becoming a Knight Sergeant and what came with it. In the privacy of his mind he thought to himself. "I think I'd rather just have a new horse. What am I of all people going to do with a plot of land?" None of this mental conversation showed on his face and he paid attention to what Iskar was saying as well, not missing a thing. After Iskar had stopped, he spoke again.

I am most grateful sir. Sir, if I might ask how large of an estate are you speaking of? He couldn't help it. A slight twinge of nervousness had crept into his voice and it struck Iskar that not even a year ago this man was living a very simple life on his own on the steppes, dodging the Jatu, rogue Knights and the occasional marauding Noldor.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:11 am

It will be the usual patch of land handed out as a fief to a knight, Iskar aimed to the disperse Alaric's concerns. A village and some surrounding fields and orchards, nothing that you should be worried about. Judging from your skills administrating it will pose no problem to you. In case of doubt, I can provide you with a capable steward trained in our library and scriptorium.

If you have no more questions about this, I'd like to get to more important matters. He took up a letter from the desk. I have sent two rangers and 100 D'Shar mercenaries to where the southern steppes meet the High Pass mountains to acquire seeds and cattle adapted to that particular mix of cold and arid climate. It turns out they were even more successful than expected and will be returning soon. It is too late in the year to plant the seeds, so we will have to store it safe from humidity and rodents until come spring, but the cattle should be distributed among the steppe villages, where we have already encouraged the building of stabler animal shelters. Those that survive the winter will be the ones we want for breeding.
Finally the Griffons have expressed their desire to provide a large amount of clothing for the steppe populace, which we greatly appreciate. Yet, their knights do not know the steppe and its inhabitants, so they need to be guided and directed so the donations are used to the greatest possible benefit.

The twenty mounted rangers you led at Eastcrown will now be officially put under your command alongside the mercenaries and I trust you to take care of these tasks: Sage storage of the seeds, distribution of the cattle - mind that the winter will be the harsher the further north - and guiding the Griffons in distributing the clothes.
I have full confidence in your abilities but to make sure I'll be sending Scout Commander Cairngrove along. He is a seasoned Silvermist Ranger and will act as your advisor should the need arise.

Any questions?

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 11:11 am

Reiner crossed his arms as he listened, somewhat glad to hear that he would soon see the steppes again.

That is further north than I usually went, do we have reports of any hostile activity? Jatu or Rogue Knights mainly, I don't see the Noldor being a threat anymore. Not since I wear this. He tapped the Fleur De Lys engraved on his breastplate. Also, what kind of mercenaries are those D'Shar? And do they know they will be wintering where it snows? I can't imagine many of them having gone too far north in the past.

I have no other questions at this time sir, save directions on how to get there.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 pm

There are Sheriff patrols and sentry outposts all over the steppe, Iskar replied, and we have no reports of any noticeable criminal activity. There is only a vague report of the movements of the last remaining Jatu force, however, and I will give you 10 more mounted rangers to deploy as scouts and assess their movement. They are rumoured to be somewhere between Eastcrown and Silverwood or east of that.

He got a larger scroll from his desk and unrolled it.
Scroll:

I have marked the whole area of the steppes for you, Iskar said. We are currently at Wayrest - he pointed at the black dot where the lines of the two trade routes met on the way to Poinsbruk - so you see it won't be that further north for you to go. We still have the autumn to distribute the cattle and finish preparations and the mercenaries will winter at Isenfeld, since the southern counties will be less hit by the cold. You will meet the caravan from the south at Maiden's Crossroad Keep in Isenfeld County. They should arrive within the next week.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyTue Mar 05, 2013 10:41 pm

Reiner took the map from Iskar to get a better look. The steppes always seemed so small on these things compared to in person.

I see. I'll leave tomorrow. It shouldn't take me more than a day or so to get to the meeting location in any case. Time enough for the scouting force to locate the Jatu to see if they are going to be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 am

Excellent. If the Jatu movements are in any way alarming, notify me immediately, so I can mobilise appropriate forces.

Back to top Go down
Alaric Reiner
Knight
Alaric Reiner

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest EmptyWed Mar 06, 2013 4:44 am

Reiner nodded in understanding.

Understood Lord Constable. If there is nothing else I will take my leave and head out with my men tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Wayrest   IC-Scene: Wayrest Empty

Back to top Go down

IC-Scene: Wayrest
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath :: Missions :: Politics of the East (Silvermist)-
Jump to: