Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Siege of Ravenstern

Go down 
+2
Pravenstern
MitchyMatt
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

The Siege of Ravenstern Empty
PostSubject: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 7:20 am

The Knights of the Griffon finally arrive to the snowy city of Ravenstern. Only to be greeted by hundreds of Dragon Knights camped around the city. Sir Darlion of Pendor on his fine steed, travels to the obvious Grandmasters tent to meet with Lord Mastifus, a cousin of King Ulric and Grandmaster of the Dragons. He formally greets with Sir Darlion and his close-knit knights. They all enter his master tent and begin preperations...

(I will be playing the various outside NPC's like the Dragon GM etc.)
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 am

Sir Azrael is the first one to speak in the tents
My lord, we have already prepared 80 boardshields for use. Beside what we decided in Sarleon, we added wet woollen blankets on the shields to prevent them from catching fire. However it is up to you to choose those who will take them. We have also set three siege towers in the North, North-West and North-East of the city of Ravenstern. We also have 12 ladders prepared for use should you wish so. Of course, none of this would be possible without the preparations of the Knights of the Dragon.
Azrael nods at the grandmaster of the Order of the Dragon and falls silent, as if expecting someone else to continue.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 7:43 am

Sir Darlion enters the tend, dressed for battle in his old steel armor of his order. His sword and shield however are left with his warhorse, and he greets the Grandmaster unarmed. Before he speaks though, he listens to the report by his knight. Only offering a nod in return, Sir Darlion returns his attention to the Grandmaster of the Dragon.

"Ah, Grandmaster Mastifus, it is good to see you're still holding the city for the most part, uncontested. I hope that the reinforcements I sent ahead with Sir Azrael here have helped? If his report just now is accurate, we should be ready to start the real siege any moment, yes? Let us hope we can take the city quickly, and get to the bottom of this crisis."

Finished for the moment, Sir Darlion issues some quick orders to some of the men behind him, before awaiting the Grandmaster's response.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 7:52 am

Grandmaster Mastifus graciously grins at the Sir Azreal's information. And is relieved to know that many preparations are now complete.

Aye, it has been many a day we have been sieging this city, with no results at all. We just don't have the man power to fully take their walls. But with reinforcements, that is more then achievable. And my men are more then ready to take back what was once their homes from this uttering bitch, Madame Ursula, excuse my Mettenheim. I will lead my men with the siege towers in the north, since we are familiar with the inside walls there, we can fight out way on top. Sir Darlion, you can appoint your men to lead where you want them, I only have about little more than 300 Knights of the Dragon at my disposal, and with your main force approaching the other entry points, we can thin out their ranks on top the walls, mostly having them focused on the larger army you have brought.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:01 am

"Well, the shields we have constructed should hide about three men each behind them, side by side. I say we position them to the east, where our shock infantry can reach the walls without fear of being hit by those ever-accurate rangers. We position our shield-infantry to the west, so that we can soak up archer fire from all directions. Finally, the second siege tower should be placed in the south, where the Pendorian cavalry will charge up. We far outnumber them, and an attack from all sides will force them to divide their already thin forces. Our archers will cover our advance, hopefully we can offer steady enough fire to keep their rangers ducking while we move the equipment into position. My knights will advance with you. Hopefully the combined forces of our two order will simply sweep them from the walls, and from there, it's just a march to the throne room."

"Are there any further suggestions?"
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:14 am

Sir Azrael opens his mouth to speak
I have no qualms with the plan, however, I'd like to hear Grandmaster Mastifus' opinion before we tell the men to move the siege engines to right positions.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:19 am

Thank you Sir Azrael. I suggest we assault tomorrow, since your men must be tired from their forced march to get here. Fell free to establish your tents adjacent to our own camp. As for your plans Sir Darlion, they are magnificent. But what do you suggest we do when we reach the Madame? Kill her like a pig, or capture her?

Grandmaster Mastifus awaits a reply, and adjusts his left eye patch from a battle unknown in the past.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:25 am

"Ursula.. While I fully agree she deserves death for treason, she is to be captured unharmed. Along with as many Knights of the Falcon as we can manage to capture. Part of our job here is to find evidence of treason. We don't know if there has been a coup and Ursula displaced by another in the Falcon's ranks, or if Ursula is trying to play "Queen of Pendor". Hopefully the answers will reveal themselves the longer we spend up north. Originally I had planned to send Sir Kamos here.."

Sir Darlion stops for a moment, to motion to the knight.

"... To take a group of cavalry and sniff out any Knights of the Falcon in the surrounding areas, try and get some information off of them. But.. I feel now that if we push towards their chapter house, before pushing to the throne room, we may be able to get written proof of treason."
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:28 am

Aye, then we shall capture her. As for the chapterhouses, there is only one established in Ravenstern. We got reports from other cities that there hasn't been any Falcon activity or any sign of them. And before they closed the city to us, reports had that the Master Chapterhouse was located adjacent to the castle in the city.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:53 am

Sir Darlion nods, offering his hand to the fellow Grandmaster.

"Then I believe things are set. I trust the Pendorian commanders to lead their troops with competence. After all, many of them have seen just as many battles as the two of us. My men and I will join you tomorrow at the siege tower. Sir Azrael will know just as well as I what to look for, so if it were alright with you, I would like him to lead the assault into the Chapter House once we breach the walls. Me? I want to see the look on that traitors face as she sees the might of the true king advancing on her."
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:59 am

Sir Azrael listens with interest while giving orders to some men in the room. The men depart one by one outside. After the last one leaves he turns to face the gathered knights.
Aye, I think I am able to do it, if it is alright with Sir Mastifus.
He turns to face the Dragon Grandmaster.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 9:48 am

Turns to Sir Azrael

Of course, if your Lord Master trusts you enough, so shall I!
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 10:52 am

((Just so we can give this part of the event official closure))

"Well then, it is settled. As you have said, my men are in need of rest, for the march here has been long and constant. Grandmaster, I would direct your men to begin setting up the siege engines tonight, so that we may strike at first light. For now, I must depart and see to it that my men are positioned well, and understand fully what their orders are tomorrow.

May Pendor watch over all of us, as we do her."

With those words spoken, Sir Darlion departs from the tent, and mounts his horse. Orders are given even before he is out of earshot, with the professional air of an experienced leader. Those who knew him were aware that he would be shouting commands until sleep took him that night.

Such was the life of a commander.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 7:26 am

The Myst Mountains were always a natural wonder, and Ravenstern took its beauty in the foreground of the massive scaling mountains. The morning was a dull grey setting, and a light snowfall began to grace the ground. Commander Mastifus quietly ordered the battlements ready and his commanders to prepare the troops. He sent messengers to the Sir Darlions master tent to alert him that the Dragons were preparing for battle.

Grandmaster Mastifus was befitted his armor by two young lads. He thanked them and put his sword, a long sturdy blade made in the north, into his sheath, and his helmet in his right arm. His horse was always on site of his tents and he boarded the Northern Charger rising above the small tented camp. Activity was numerous with motions and men.

Battle was to begin very soon.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 am

Sir Darlion could only imagine what the mes atop the walls of Ravenstern must be thinking, looking down upon the great army of Pendor. Over five-thousand men surrounded the city, from all sides. The archers of the king fired a constant barrage of arrows at the defenders, while the infantry and dismounted knights took their positions. To the west, lie Pendor's infantry. Many of them with heavy shields to soak up arrow fire as they made their way up the ladders and onto the walls of the city. Many of them served under the old lords of the Fierdsvain, and thus were already greatly experienced with sword-and-shield combat.

To the south, the Pendorian cavalry assembled, pushing their siege tower forward under the cover of their own archers. With the Ravenstern defenders pinned down for the most part, the men could focus on doing their jobs, rather than blocking arrows. Naturally, cavalry were not trained for siege combat, and the hope was that they would be able to swarm in fast enough to overwhelm the defenders on their section of the wall. Which was expected to be an easy task, as the city needed to split its attention four different ways.

No direction held more wonders for the defenders than their eastern walls though. Right up to the ladder, great shields were placed, staggered so that one could hardly see any snow on the ground. They numbered 80 in total, and each had their men waiting behind it for the battle to begin. The Pendorian shock infantry used the great shields to compensate for their own personal lack of protection. Before, they would have been picked off by a Ravenstern Ranger before even reaching the ladders. Now, they would survive long enough to make full use of their terrifying two-handed swords.

Finally, to the north hundreds of knights assembled. The Orders of the Dragon and Griffon combined forces, to make one huge push in an effort to sweep the defenders from the walls, and make their way right into the city. The two Orders would be using a siege tower, set up under the cover of friendly archers. With hundreds of knights assaulting the northern wall, as well as thousands of regular soldiers coming from the other three sides, they hoped that many men would simply surrender.

Leading his men in the North, Sir Darlion of Pendor marched, his men behind him. He wore the deathly serious face that the Grandmaster of the Griffon was known for in battle. In front of his, held almost effortlessly in two hands, was the standard of Pendor. The great lance had been recovered from King Ulric during the great civil war that swept across Pendor and crowned the current king. Now, it was a symbol of unity, and a prized possession of the Knights of the Griffon.

When he reached Grandmaster Mastifus, Sir Darlion held the standard out to the knight.

"Here is the standard of Pendor, and one of the prized possessions of the king. I present it to you, Grandmaster Mastifus, to use in this battle how you see fit. May your men know by the sight of it, that your service to the king of Pendor has not gone unnoticed, and that he stands by you with the fullest support he can muster."
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 10:26 am

Sir Kamos stood in the snow not far behind the Grandmasters. It was cold with a light snow going. The gentle caress of the snow eased him and the plain skies were a relief to his eyes having spent to much time under the sun. His sword and shield seemed weightless and eager with the morning star loosely strapped to his back practically jittering with anticipation. It reminded him of home, a place not far from Ravenstern itself, a place he had been so far away from while in the former D'Shar lands and former lands of Sarleon. He had lost some of his resistance to the cold but it was still strangely energizing in a way.

However the Order was home now and the warmth of his family around him helped with what resistance he had lost. The dreary halls of the capital were past and it was good to be back.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 12:27 pm

As if the morning calmed the spirits of the developing story, an arrow flew overhead of Sir Kamos, setting the master tent on fire, then if not instantly hundreds of more arrows began to fly across the boundless sky into the camp, setting much ablaze and disorganizing many of the men.

Sir Mastifus put his helmet on and thanked and sternly grinned at Sir Darlion of Pendor with a strong grip. He let go and raised the highest standard across the land.

To arms! To arms! Prepare for battle!!!
Back to top Go down
Knight Silaric
Page
Knight Silaric

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Sir Orlando looks towards the mountains, and sees the outline of Ravenstern from the vast open fields of snow he'd been traveling through up until now. With a stern face, he notices the fire ablaze a little ways outside of the town, and believes it to be the siege camp. With all do haste, he takes no time in motioning his warhorse onward, toward the fire in the distance. Upon reaching the outside of the camp, he takes a glance every which way, observing his surroundings, and nods softly. He knows that the siege must now be underway, and that his first duty is to find Sir Darlion, so that he can assess the current situation and learn the battle plan. Seeing as how he arrived as the camp was still ablaze, and noting the men still preparing, he ran into the camp to find Sir Darlion.
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Being jarred from his thoughts Sir Kamos shouted a few expletives at the suddenness of the arrow and quickly raises his shield.

With many of the tents ablaze and arrows raining down he rallies the Knights around him to move up to the relative protection of the siege tower until the order to advance is given.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 pm

As the arrows began crashing around the army of knights, Sir Darlion cursed and called for a messenger. He wasted no time in grabbing his helmet from a servant nearby and securing it. After all, while it may not protect him much after a direct hit from one of the Ravenstern longbows, it could turn aside a glancing blow. As Sir Kamos took charge for a moment and began leading the troops to the siege tower, Sir Darlion made his way over to his warhorse and grabbed his arms. A bastard sword, forged by Sir Azrael after the man was accepted into the Knights of the Griffon, and his old shield. Which had seen Sir Darlion through more than one siege without breaking.

Finally, as the messenger arrived, Sir Darlion began issuing orders.

"Tell the archers to start picking their targets carefully, stop the volleys! I don't need my men wondering if they're going to be shot in the back by our own soldiers while they worry about the archers in front of them. Make sure to lead my horse to safety, and have the horses of the other men here brought outside of the range of those arrows. All troops are to begin marching now! Go!"

Sir Darlion didn't wait for a response from the man before catching up with his troops, and taking the lead from Sir Kamos. The siege tower had nearly been pushed to the walls when the men of Ravenstern began firing again. While they waited, Sir Darlion and his men raised their shields and knelt, trying to make the smallest target possible for the men on the walls. It also would give them an extra spring when they began the charge. Which would be any moment.
Back to top Go down
Knight Silaric
Page
Knight Silaric

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Sir Orlando could see the men rushing towards the walls, and arrows that rained down upon them. Although he hadn't any luck searching for Sir Darlion around the camp, finding only the commander's tent burnt down to the ground, it suddenly hit him that Sir Darlion was leading the men on one of the walls, into Ravenstern. He rushed from the camp, leaving his horse behind, and with sword and shield in hand, he went for the wall. He caught of a siege tower in the distance, getting ever closer to the wall that the archers tried hard to defend, and figured that Sir Darlion must be there if he is leading the charge. As he got within range, enough to see the men pushing it and surrounding it, and to get a few arrows going his way, he noticed the one man whose sword stuck out to him. It was Sir Darlion, wielding his bastard sword, and it looked as though he was about to charge. Orlando sprinted to his position, with arrows whizzing past him, getting ever so close to his head, and stood beside Sir Darlion.

"It's been awhile, friend, but I digress, what's the situation in a nutshell?"
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Sir Darlion turned to Sir Orlando briefly. If he showed any surprise or excitement at all it could not be gleaned from the helmet at all. Most likely, as his men would expect from him, Sir Darlion kept his emotions to himself in favor of a deathly serious attitude which put more weight behind the commands he gave. Before answering, he checked one more time on the status of the siege tower, which was about to drop its ramp.

"We are attacking from all sides, with the five thousand of the king's men. Our order is here, at the north wall. We are hoping that the combined might of the Griffons and Dragons will simply sweep the defenders from this wall. The east is being taken by the king's shock troops, supported by the shields you should have read about in the meeting logs I sent you. To the west is our regular infantry, and the south our cavalry. The eastern and western forces should already be moving, and the cavalry in the south should begin their march as soon as their ramp has dropped."

As if to punctuate Sir Darlion's message, the crash of their own siege tower's ramp hitting the hard stone of the wall echoed over them. Standing, with his shield raised, Sir Darlion turned to address all of his men.

"Grandmaster Mastifus and I are both leading the charge here, follow whoever you feel needs the most support! Come now men, we fight this day for the king and his people! For Pendor!"

It was then that Sir Darlion began moving, making his way beside Sir Mastifus as the combined forces of their knighthood orders charged behind them. He felt the jolts of arrows hitting his shield, but the shear weight of his armor kept Sir Darlion steady as he advanced.

They weren't the first arrows to hit his shield, and they were far from the last.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyMon Aug 22, 2011 8:15 pm

Sir Azrael watched as the ramp hit the stone as intended. Everything was running smoothly, probably too smoothly. As he thought that, he felt the jolt of another arrow slamming into his shield. He tried to dismiss the feeling but a voice inside him was nagging that something would go wrong soon. Sir Azrael silenced the voice yet again and continued to climb the ramp. It would be disastrous if he allowed his concentration to slip on a battlefield. A scar on his left arm slightly ached in reply.
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 am

As Sir Kamos charged up the ramp, his shield taking hits, he felt almost revitalized to be getting shot at again. He saw his target as well while they quickly approached the wall. Some smug looking ranger with a peculiarly large nose with two archers behind him kept taking shots at him. It probably wasn't personal given he just happened to be right across from Sir Kamos but that daft smile wasn't appreciated either.

Finally they reached the wall and with a swift slash upwards from the ground he dealt with the smug ranger then dove into other archers. The archer in the back was pushed right off the wall and the one Sir Kamos landed on wasn't getting up after a fully armored knight landed on him. Normally this wouldn't have been a good idea but it gave a small breach for the knights behind him to enter and get footing on the wall quickly covering him. Just before his dive he had seen the Grandmasters make contact as well.

He may have gotten his friends in but he was still in a vulnerable spot as a spear quickly followed him to the ground. On one knee at this point he quickly knocked the spear down with his shield right into the unfortunate archer, it really wasn't that guys day. He responded by plunging his sword into the mans ankle, then getting up gave him a substantial shield bash him off the wall where another allied Knight filled the gap while Sir Kamos regained his footing.

Turning around he saw he was surrounded by allies so he helped push them forward to the nearest tower as best he could. He also spied Falcon Knights organizing below the wall in the streets.
Back to top Go down
MitchyMatt
Royal Herald
MitchyMatt

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 12:28 pm

The Falcon Knights assembled on the ground and aimed their crossbows up at the top, where the ramp force point of entry Sir Kamos was and began shooting the entry point. Men began falling to their death after getting shot. Reloading was a good chance for Sir Kamos and his squad to push from the first tower with his men and work his way eastward since they were on the north side. Once they establish contact they can make their ways to the South walls, reinforcing the forces there.

An arrow hit the face of a fellow Pendor solider in front of Sir Kamos, he started running faster and killing the rangers in front of him with finesse.

Grandmaster Mastifus kicked the Ranger off the wall with ease. He swung the might standard pushing five more men off the cliff. He threw it at a thatch house to come back to it later and drew his sword. Swinging and screaming was always the best way to approach the enemy. He heard something behind him only to turn around to a charging Kierguard, only to see a blade sink out from his chest. Sir Darlion saved him. They exchanged quick glaces and kept fighting.

Grandmaster Mastifus, like Sir Kamos, noticed the Falcons below preparing their crossbows. "Eh fuck it." And jumped down into the group of preparing knights, only to land in a pile of snow shoved from the streets. He quickly recovered and began slaughtering the unprepared knights. Soon other Dragon Knights followed. Sir Orlando soon joined him with finishing off the bewildered knights, only for more to approach from the inner streets.

Sir Azreal was the last group of men to get off the first tower behind Sir Kamos. The men finished climbing the ladders to the top and prepared for the carnage. The way cleared and the world seemed to go slow. Dodging and blocking all arrows that flashed into him. He quickly cut down the first Ranger in front of him, as the other Pendor warriors soon joined in the wall fight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Siege of Ravenstern   The Siege of Ravenstern Empty

Back to top Go down

The Siege of Ravenstern
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next