Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition Empty
PostSubject: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyTue Oct 18, 2011 10:40 pm

You are somewhere in the Clarion Hall when loud cheers, cries and laughter reach your ear from the inner courtyard. Apparently a few former Clarion Call knights are quarrelling with some of their new brethren. The subject of the quarrel becomes very clear by their use of gestures. It is about archery. One ranger shouts that the knights could not even dream about reaching the proficiency of the Silvermists, while the knights counter that the rangers could probably not even hit the walls of a castle while on horseback. So far everything seems to be of an rather benign nature, but there can be no certainty whether it will stay that way.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 12:34 am

Theo could hear the rangers from the assembly room. Since neither Caranthir nor Iskar seemed to have awoken yet, he thought he could discuss the details of the missions with them later.

He watched the crowd quarrel for a while, then spoke:

“We Silvermists abdicate our ability to ride and use heavy armor so that we can focus only on our archery practice. Thus, on foot, our marksmanship is matched in Pendor only by the Noldor. All our strategies are based on the assumption that we are on foot.”

“Now you, Clarion knights, have many skills we do not possess. You are competent riders, and you can hold your own against cavalry and infantry alike. Your horses are faster than the Pendorian average, while we rely only on the agility of our feet.”

“Archery isn’t something we can measure by a simple competition. We are masters of forests, cities and mountains, but in open fields it is your bows that rule. We are all masters in our own environments.”

“But so are our enemies. Therefore, the Silvermist tactics will usually be targeted at changing their environment, so that it turns against them and make them preys, instead of masters. We use trees, rocks and rivers, as well as sun, rain, mist and darkness to neutralize their abilities. What we must keep in mind is that we must never allow our enemies to change OUR environments. Always be in the place where you are the best at, and we will be in our own place. I hope you have learned something today.”

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 1:58 am

Having finished his breakfast in his room Iskar went out to the courtyard as to investigate the reason for the cheers and loud voices so early in the morning. He arrived just in time to witness Theo's little speech. With a smile Iskar noted that it was - as usual - well thought through and just to the core of how their order fought. "Yet pride is seldom quieted by reason", he thought and approached the group in the yard.

Heh, if you listen to one of Theo's lectures each day, you will all be master tacticians in a month's time, he said laughing.
But as I see you are all boasting of your abilities, why, let's see you back your words up with deeds. Henceforth there will be a tourney every six month. Only members of our order will be allowed to join and they will prove their abilities in riding, melee combat and archery. But not everyone for himself, because that would bring out nothing new. There will be teams of two, consisting of one knight of the Clarion Call and a Silvermist ranger each.
The teams have six month time for preparation during which the knight will help the ranger improve his skills in mounted and melee combat while the ranger will teach the knight true marksmanship. In the tourney they both will take part in every discipline and their achievements will be added up. The team with the highest total merit will be considered winners of the tourney. The preparation has to take place in your spare time, but the prizes will be valuable silvered plate armours or especially fine weapons.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 4:04 am

"Keep fighting against each other and you *will* hear my lectures every day", Theo said.

He came closer to Iskar and spoke only for him to hear:

"Yes, I have no patience for trivialities like pride and sense of superiority in anything, much less in my own order. The world is burning and it's soon going to burn even more. I just want to teach the kids enough to survive through the storm. If they found the time to quarrel, it means they aren't training hard enough."

"By the way, perhaps you can also make it so that the winners of our competition be the ones we send to the Pendorian games. I mean, if the king indeed makes them happen. Telling them that they will have the chance to punch a Gauntlet in the face might give them extra motivation."
Back to top Go down
Aldric of Marleons
Knight
Aldric of Marleons

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyWed Oct 19, 2011 6:26 am

Walking in and overhearing the conversation in the courtyard, shakes his head.

Fighting over something so trivial as who is better so early in the morning. Do you want me to give you drills to do in the morning so you have something better to do now? If not, then shut up.

But Iskar and Theo couldn't have summed up about this issue any better, but for you simple-minded folks out there, I will say it in simple terms. Neither the knight or ranger is better than the other. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 7:03 am

Many of the men nod in appreciation at the words of the officers. Many seem to like the idea of a tournament, but the notion of teaming up with a member of the of the other faction still seems to alienate a number of the archers present, both mounted and on foot. You hear a lot of mumbling, both jocular and serious in tone. A black bearded officer of the Clarion Call steps forward.

“Gentlemen, I think we all know that all of us will do their part in the future, but what harm is there in letting our men blow off a little steam? It will only help in bringing us closer together.”

The officer earns some loud approval from parts of the Clarion Call Knights present. The Silvermist Rangers are more reserved, although you can see some of their eyes shining brightly with anticipation.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptyFri Oct 21, 2011 7:31 am

"We still have a couple of hours until the preparations for the parade are done. I suppose a friendly match would do no harm. Since I spent the last weeks just sitting in Poinsbruk's library, I feel I am getting a little rusty. I could get some sweat."

Theo picks up three practice swords and throws one to the knight.

"Here, blow your steam on me, then. The new brothers might not know me: I am Theo Venator, Silvermist's worst archer and best blade. It is a pleasure to meet you. Now, I have two swords, so it is only fair that I fight two of you at the same time. Let one silvermist and one clarion knight come together against me."

Theo's purpose was to impress and entertain the knights with his moves. "Sometimes", he thought, "pride is only quieted by a demonstration of superior power". But then he gave up trying to justify it to himself. "What the hell, I just want to fight!"
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 11:31 am

The knight is surprised by the sudden move, but still catches the sword with ease. He looks around, unsure for a moment, scanning the faces and posture of the knights present, before a smile appears on his face.

“All right,” he says humorously, moving towards Theo while testing the weight of his weapon through a few practice swings. He chooses the tallest Silvermist Ranger present to assist him in this little sparring exercise. The ranger does not seem terribly thrilled about fighting against Theo, maybe because he knew about his skills with the sword or maybe simply because he was a superior, but he steps forward nevertheless and gets himself a large wooden sword.

The two mean position themselves around Theo, while the rest of the men present back away to form a circle around the combatants. When all is in place, the knight of the Clarion Call charges, but he has not informed his ally about any plans. Apparently he wants to take on Theo by himself. He opens the fight with a powerful horizontal cut, using the momentum of his charge.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptySat Oct 22, 2011 8:36 pm

Theo crosses his swords in the form of an "X" and turns it to the side*, easily parrying the knight's swing. He quickly steps forward, closes the range and hits his chin with his elbow.

OOC: this is probably my last post for the week. I'll be back in 7 days. Someone please control my character and don't let him do anything stupid.

*. Like this guy here, but horizontally and with longer swords: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition Nito4
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:21 am

The knight staggered backwards as Theo's elbow hammered against his chin All thoughts of restraint suddenly forgotten, he spun on his heels and slashed wildly at the ranger. Theo blocked the blade with one of his own and sent the other crushing into the man's torso. The knight gave a muffled cry and retreated out of range.

During the next few minutes, the officer of the Clarion Call charged and charged again. He was skilled, Theo was forced to admit, but relied to much on brute force, providing Theo with ample opportunities to deflect his attacks, break his stance and breach his defences.

When the other ranger joined the fight, things became for complicated. Theo found himself moving around much more than before, using both swords for offence as well as defence. He danced around in the circle formed by his peers, ducking, parrying and striking with an astonishing speed. But his two opponents still did not work together. They fought separately, without coordination or any form of strategy and Theo managed to hold his ground until both of them stepped back, visibly tired and frustrated.

The constant fighting was also taking its toll on Theo, but he chose not to let it show. He needed them to think they stood no chance against him alone. When the knight of the Clarion Call leaned over to whisper something into the Silvermist's ear, Theo had to suppress a smile. His opponents nodded at each other and approached him once more; this time together.

They surrounded him and bid their time, forcing Theo's eyes to constantly wander between them. By now, all voices around them had quieted down. Everyone was anxiously waiting to see how this fight would end.

Finally, the men charged and closed in on Theo simultaneously. Theo blocked the crushing stoke the armoured knight was sending down on him, but the ranger only fainted a thrust, swayed aside the moment Theo attention drifted to his partner and hammered his blade against the back of Theo's knee. Theo clenched his teeth as the pain jolted through him. He lost his balance, his defence crumbled away with the spasm of his pain and the Knight of the Clarion Call forced his way through and finally overpowered him.

Loud cheers erupted from the surrounding knights and rangers alike. Theo's two opponents nodded at each other victoriously, then smiled down at Theo. They were surprised to see that he was smiling as well.

Azlanek: I took the liberty to conclude the fight this way. I hope you don't mind, Theo. Feel free to give your final speech to the boys Wink.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition EmptySun Oct 30, 2011 3:56 am

Theo smiled. He always puts himself in situations where losing is not possible. Now, he knew that he would either win the fight and prove his might, or he would lose it, but prove to both orders that they need to learn how to fight together. "To win either way", he thought, that's what strategy is all about.

"I thank you both for the nice practice, knight and ranger. Now I can say I'm definitely awake! But even here there is something we can learn from.
When facing a superior opponent, it is often the best option to work together, like you did to defeat me. You all see how, even in a rushed improvisation like this one, a Clarion knight and a Silvermist can overcome an extremely difficult fight. Now reflect on how much more we can achieve if we constantly practice this kind of teamwork and combine our order's tactics in the field! Let us then join our swords and, while other orders lose their time quarreling among themselves, we grow strong in our unity.
There are other important lessons here, but these I will leave to yourselves to find out."

Having said that, Theo went back to his chamber and began gathering his equipment for the duke's parade.

Theo: Thanks Azlanek, it was a nice one.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition   IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition Empty

Back to top Go down

IC-Scene: Some Healthy Competition
Page 1 of 1