Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Camp of the Dawn (IC)

Go down 
+8
Wolfarmin
MordKaiser87
Slopsen
DiabloDude
Daedr0th
SimplePlan96
Sir Aranor
Azlanek
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Varis walked alone to the central command tent, walking in stride but taking note of the whispers and inquisitive stares by other knights, including a few from the other orders. While word travels fast within the barriers of the siege camp, Varis was content that most knights kept to their tasks, undistracted by the Judicators presence.

As he approached the command area Varis was surprised to see the personal guard of the Griffon Grandmaster, Sir Darlion of Pendor. His presence either was a blessing or a curse. Whatever either, it meant that the Red Dawn insurrection has caught the eye of Sarleon, and of the crown.
Making his way closer Varis is soon blocked by Griffion Knights, standing in his way. Unhelmed, Varis stared directly into the visor of the knight who stood before him, unflinching.
The Judicator's company heraldry upon his armor's chausses denoted some sort of rank or renown among the Dawn, yet the Griffon firmly stood his ground.
Blessed be the dutiful, in their strength is the means to fight corruption.
In respect, Varis placed his gauntleted-hand across his plate. For a moment it seemed that the Griffon would not budge, only to return the gesture and allow Varis passage through.

Just outside the flaps of the tent and before the guards of the Dawn Grandmaster, Varis spoke,
"I am Varis Tyrus, Captain of the Third and Grand Inquisitor of the Dawn. I have been summoned, I have arrived."
The guards crossed their arms in ceremony, as the Judicator made his way into the tent.
Back to top Go down
Wolfarmin
Knight
Wolfarmin

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Seeing Varis excited Wolfarmin for he had not seen his friend in a long time and seeing that the rumors were not true, after remaining silent the entire time Wolfarmin finaly opens his mouth and blurts out in excitment

"Varis you old dog, how have you been it feels like ages since i've seen you. You've missed some exciting things while.....you.....umm.....darn I have lost track of what I was saying but to more important matters.

Wolfarmin face lost its signature smile.

"The time is approaching for the Red Dawn blight to be wiped away, this battle will be glorious my friend you see we have gotten help from so many orders as you've probably notice.

Wolfarmin waved his hand to show Varis the various knighthood orders giving assitance.

"Hell, the Eventide would have helped if our knights were a little more willing. Anyway let me show the plan."

Oblivious to what was happening around him in his excitement Wolfarmin ushered Varis to the map laid on the table.

"Look Varis, you see if I think I heard right, Merzinas well take some of our squires to preform a mock attack here, then the Silvermist will help with a feint attack there, and the real attack will be there..... I only hope i'll lead it with my boys, but if the gate is closed we gotta use these contraptions the Silvermist are making with the help of some others, to get on the walls and open the gate."

Looking around the room with a smile

"I volunteer for that if possibile, then i'll make my way back to my horse and my awaiting riders."

Wolfarmin took a deep breath, and put his hands on his hips (in a manly way of course) and look at Varis.

"Well what do you think, and by the way what does the Dragons, and Griffons do in al this."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 am

At the Silvermist camp:

Soon after Fitzmerwill was back at the Silvermist camp the militia lieutenant reported to him. He beckoned to his two sergeants to come over to his tent and explained what had to be done.

We're going to construct five ballistae, around 30 chevaux-de-frise and a similar number of two different types of mantlets. My men know how to build the ballistae, but it is likely to be too complicated for your men to help them, so half of my men will take care of that issue - Zachariah, I trust you with this.

One of the sergeants who had the typical features and skin colour of the D'shar saluted and went off to organise his men.

The chevaux-de-frise are particularly simple to make and it should be common knowledge among soldiers how to make them.

The lieutenant nodded upon which Fitzmerwill continued:

Very well, so 100 of your men should take to that. Find out whether there are any among them who know how to work with wood - lumbermen, carpenters, and so on, so they can oversee the work of the others.

As for the mantlets, we need two different types of them: Large ones on wheels to be used in the streets, complementing the chevaux-de-frise as makeshift fortifications, and more narrow ones, only slightly broader than a siege ladder. These will have a stabilising stick and a handle attached to them so they can be carried around on the walls and placed where needed, in order to provide protection against arrows from within the city after the walls have been taken. Using ropes they will be heaved up the siege ladders after the first wave.

Seeing the lieutenant was slightly confused he quickly drew the concept on a piece of parchment.
Mantlets:

Divide your remaining hundred men into 25 squads of 4. Each will be led by a ranger. 10 squads will make the narrow mantlets for the walls, and 15 squads the larger ones for the streets - Hugh, inform your men and make them instruct the militia properly.

Hugh and the lieutenant saluted and went off, too, while Fitzmerwill stepped out of his tent to oversee the works in toto.
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 5:13 pm

wolfarmin wrote:
Seeing Varis excited Wolfarmin for he had not seen his friend in a long time and seeing that the rumors were not true, after remaining silent the entire time Wolfarmin finaly opens his mouth and blurts out in excitment

"Varis you old dog, how have you been it feels like ages since i've seen you. You've missed some exciting things while.....you.....umm.....darn I have lost track of what I was saying but to more important matters.

Wolfarmin face lost its signature smile.

"The time is approaching for the Red Dawn blight to be wiped away, this battle will be glorious my friend you see we have gotten help from so many orders as you've probably notice.

Wolfarmin waved his hand to show Varis the various knighthood orders giving assitance.

"Hell, the Eventide would have helped if our knights were a little more willing. Anyway let me show the plan."

Oblivious to what was happening around him in his excitement Wolfarmin ushered Varis to the map laid on the table.

"Look Varis, you see if I think I heard right, Merzinas well take some of our squires to preform a mock attack here, then the Silvermist will help with a feint attack there, and the real attack will be there..... I only hope i'll lead it with my boys, but if the gate is closed we gotta use these contraptions the Silvermist are making with the help of some others, to get on the walls and open the gate."

Looking around the room with a smile

"I volunteer for that if possibile, then i'll make my way back to my horse and my awaiting riders."

Wolfarmin took a deep breath, and put his hands on his hips (in a manly way of course) and look at Varis.

"Well what do you think, and by the way what does the Dragons, and Griffons do in al this."

Varis smiled back, "It is good to see you back from your mission Wolf-brother. At last we can put down these apostates and finally end this insurrection once and for all."
He looked at Aranor, who took note of his presence, giving a polite nod. The Grandmaster was still engaged in discussion with Sir Darlion, over what Varis could not make out.
Wolfarmin continued while Varis returned his attention back to the debrief.
"Hell, the Eventide would have helped if our knights were a little more willing," Wolfarmin pointed out. "Anyway let me show the plan."
Varis scoffed at such a notion: Griffons and Rangers were one thing, but goddess be dammed if they were to accept anything from the traitor knights of the Eventide.

As the Wolf Rider beckoned Varis to the battle map, the old knight listened closely to the details processing the feints and thrusts laid out by the camp's strategists. While he still considered himself able to keep up with the more younger and equally astute tacticians of the Dawn, years of field battles and cavalry maneuvers did little in contributing to siege tactics.

Wolf tapped a finger on the map"...but if the gate is closed we gotta use these contraptions the Silvermist are making with the help of some others, to get on the walls and open the gate." He paused to look around the room, before continuing, "I volunteer for that if possible, then I'll make my way back to my horse and my awaiting riders."
Finished with the debrief, Wolfarmin asked,"Well what do you think? And by the way, what does the Dragons and Griffons do in all this?"
Dragons and Griffons. Ebony Gauntlets and Rangers. He kept his theories to himself.
"The crown is gracious, and the orders looking to squeeze in some glory for their own, now that Veccavia is pacified and the north secure," Varis answered.
He went back to the map, "as for the plan: if squire Merzinas continues his service, we might find ourselves replaced by this young man." He laughed, if only to offset the reality of such possibility.

"As with every plan, weakness must be addressed. A feint is only one if the enemy is truly convinced that there is a genuine possibility that he will be struck from that side. In the field, a thrust without support is like a spear without a spear-man; it may be pointed into side of the enemy but without a man to push that spear in, it is nothing. Our enemy will not fall for a cavalry charge, even with the Rangers harassing its walls. We will need men on the ground with ladders and ropes, actually making an attempt to scale the wall. When we threaten the gates, that is when the enemy will take our attack as real and move men to the north. Our success rests on getting the gates open, the enemy knows it. We will use that reaction to our advantage, when we move for them we will know the cowards will scurry to the walls to defend it."
Walls. Gates. Siege warfare. In war it was the only time when lesser men, behind their bastions, literally looked down on their betters.

Varis gave Wolfarmin a discouraging stare, "it's times like this where I pray to Astraea for fog to shield us from enemy eyes."
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 8:53 pm

The light was receding, the bitter struggle would start in mere hours and Merzinas had so much to prepare for. Mounting his horse, he gathered his contingent of 50 squires to him, each leading three horses with dummy riders. He had gathered with him enough wood to make enough great fires to attract attention from the walls. He had ordered enough rope to be brought to (theoretically) scale the walls, and some old and shonkey looking poles to pose as fake siege ladders. The squires wore the pure white of the order and where all trembling with the pent up anticipation. It would be a long and sleepless night, heralding the bloody dawn.

Fully formed, he assembled the men south of the camp, ready to circle around Javiksholm and appear to be approaching from Windhelm. With everything in order, he cantred up to the command tent and nodded to the guards, one of which ducked inside:

"The Squire is ready to move out with the rest of the ruse, any final instructions for him?"
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 10:48 pm

After a while Roderick returns, his tunic and face stained with dirt, a wooden sledgehammer resting on his shoulders. Obviously he had personally helped in the construction of the camp's defenses.

"You summoned me?" he asked and strode over to the nearest table to help himself to a mug of water.
Back to top Go down
Wolfarmin
Knight
Wolfarmin

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 5:12 am

MordKaiser87 wrote:

Varis smiled back, "It is good to see you back from your mission Wolf-brother. At last we can put down these apostates and finally end this insurrection once and for all."
He looked at Aranor, who took note of his presence, giving a polite nod. The Grandmaster was still engaged in discussion with Sir Darlion, over what Varis could not make out.
Wolfarmin continued while Varis returned his attention back to the debrief.
"Hell, the Eventide would have helped if our knights were a little more willing," Wolfarmin pointed out. "Anyway let me show the plan."
Varis scoffed at such a notion: Griffons and Rangers were one thing, but goddess be dammed if they were to accept anything from the traitor knights of the Eventide.

As the Wolf Rider beckoned Varis to the battle map, the old knight listened closely to the details processing the feints and thrusts laid out by the camp's strategists. While he still considered himself able to keep up with the more younger and equally astute tacticians of the Dawn, years of field battles and cavalry maneuvers did little in contributing to siege tactics.

Wolf tapped a finger on the map"...but if the gate is closed we gotta use these contraptions the Silvermist are making with the help of some others, to get on the walls and open the gate." He paused to look around the room, before continuing, "I volunteer for that if possible, then I'll make my way back to my horse and my awaiting riders."
Finished with the debrief, Wolfarmin asked,"Well what do you think? And by the way, what does the Dragons and Griffons do in all this?"
Dragons and Griffons. Ebony Gauntlets and Rangers. He kept his theories to himself.
"The crown is gracious, and the orders looking to squeeze in some glory for their own, now that Veccavia is pacified and the north secure," Varis answered.
He went back to the map, "as for the plan: if squire Merzinas continues his service, we might find ourselves replaced by this young man." He laughed, if only to offset the reality of such possibility.

"As with every plan, weakness must be addressed. A feint is only one if the enemy is truly convinced that there is a genuine possibility that he will be struck from that side. In the field, a thrust without support is like a spear without a spear-man; it may be pointed into side of the enemy but without a man to push that spear in, it is nothing. Our enemy will not fall for a cavalry charge, even with the Rangers harassing its walls. We will need men on the ground with ladders and ropes, actually making an attempt to scale the wall. When we threaten the gates, that is when the enemy will take our attack as real and move men to the north. Our success rests on getting the gates open, the enemy knows it. We will use that reaction to our advantage, when we move for them we will know the cowards will scurry to the walls to defend it."
Walls. Gates. Siege warfare. In war it was the only time when lesser men, behind their bastions, literally looked down on their betters.

Varis gave Wolfarmin a discouraging stare, "it's times like this where I pray to Astraea for fog to shield us from enemy eyes."

Wolfarmin looked down at his feet with a slight frown and waited a while before looking back at Varis with a large smile.

"It's times like these where I pray for Astraea to kill these traitors herself.... but that will never happen will it. Varis you need'nt worry of someone replacing us, we are to important for that to happen, hell if someone tried to replace me they'll have to fight me to death before I leave."

Wolfarmin folded his arms and rubbed his chin with his right hand.

"We all may have some varing degrees of hatred for the Evetide but still if they were here, this fight would be a little more easy for us but atleast there are some orders here better suited to preform a seige than us and I thank them for there help."

Wolfarmin looked down at the map lying on the table still rubbing his chin, he knew the plans had flaws in them, but he still believed they would work.

"Varis you are right about these plans though, I know they have flaws in them but every plan has flaws in it. It's not about the plan being perfect but the people perfoming the plan like it was perfect and believeing that it well work. The only way to know if this will work is to perform it like there was no doubt that it would'nt work and thats what I plan to do and I may be a fool for it.

With that Wolfarmin slaped Varis on the back and left the command tent to prepare his riders and himself for the coming battle.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 7:29 am

Azlanek wrote:
After a while Roderick returns, his tunic and face stained with dirt, a wooden sledgehammer resting on his shoulders. Obviously he had personally helped in the construction of the camp's defenses.

"You summoned me?" he asked and strode over to the nearest table to help himself to a mug of water.

"Sir Roderick, I just wanted you to meet Sir Darlion, sent from the king to aid us."
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 am

wolfarmin wrote:
Wolfarmin looked down at his feet with a slight frown and waited a while before looking back at Varis with a large smile.

"It's times like these where I pray for Astraea to kill these traitors herself.... but that will never happen will it. Varis you need'nt worry of someone replacing us, we are to important for that to happen, hell if someone tried to replace me they'll have to fight me to death before I leave."

Wolfarmin folded his arms and rubbed his chin with his right hand.

"We all may have some varing degrees of hatred for the Evetide but still if they were here, this fight would be a little more easy for us but atleast there are some orders here better suited to preform a seige than us and I thank them for there help."

Wolfarmin looked down at the map lying on the table still rubbing his chin, he knew the plans had flaws in them, but he still believed they would work.

"Varis you are right about these plans though, I know they have flaws in them but every plan has flaws in it. It's not about the plan being perfect but the people perfoming the plan like it was perfect and believeing that it well work. The only way to know if this will work is to perform it like there was no doubt that it would'nt work and thats what I plan to do and I may be a fool for it.

With that Wolfarmin slaped Varis on the back and left the command tent to prepare his riders and himself for the coming battle.

Varis watched his comrade leave the command tent, the Wolf's optimism was a good sign. Plans go astray the moment the first hooves fall on the field. Its usually the sweat and valor of soldiers that carry the day. As he circled the table map Varis pondered how far must the odds stack against them before valor and sword isn't enough. The Red Knights, apostates they were, was just as convinced in their cause as Dawn Knight here.
The captain looked to the other host gathered in the tent. Not only was it Darlion, but Roderick of the New Dawn as well. Varis waited aside to be called by Aranor, not wanting to intrude among men of higher position. He rambled through various dispatches and reports, busying himself in the mean time.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 1:50 am

As evening approached and the works on the ballistae, chevaux-de-frise and mantlets drew to an end, the rangers went back to their tents to meditate or pray. While many of the rangers were descendants of families that looked back on a long tradition of either Djaha archers or Ravenstern rangers and thus stuck to Ullr Vetr or Vata, some, who hailed from the west originally, visited the shrine of Astraea to pray for victory in the upcoming battle.

Having inspected the work of his men and the militia Fitzmerwill made his way back to the command tent, where he addressed the guards:

William Fitzmerwill, Ranger-Captain of the Silvermist. I'd kindly request to speak to Sir Aranor once more.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 2:17 am

Darlion gave a nod of greeting to the man before turning back to Address Aranor. Sir Darlion may not have ever met with Roderick personally, but he knew of the man through reports on the Dawn's situation. Perhaps the two of them would have a word later, but for now there was business to attend to.

"I do not have the manpower at Windholm to take the city by force. However, I have a large number of men stationed there all the same, and they should be able to keep the Red Dawn inside of the city. If they charge out in full force in an attempt to assist their brothers here, at the very least my men will be able to delay them for some time."

Sir Darlion paused for a moment, before continuing.

"In addition to the men I have station at Windholm, three-hundred and fifty of my Order are prepared to take part in the siege here. In addition to a little over fifty of the Dragon Order. A large number of us took the field at the siege of Ravenstern. Now, what are your plans to take the city? When is the attack scheduled to begin?"
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 am

"Well, the plan right now is as follows"

Aranor brings out a extremely detailed map of current Javiksholm.

"First, we are to attack at dawn-break tomorrow. One of two things may happen.
1. The spies I have sent inside will have opened the gates for us.
2. We will have the assault the walls ourselves."

Sir Aranor points towards the northern gate.

"Several squires of the Dawn are going to make a ruse there. They will be leading a mock charge, with dummies and horses. They also have a rope with them if they need to scale the wall there. Just in case."

Sir Aranor points towards the gates near the tannery.

"Here the Silvermists will make a feint. They, along with some men I have brought with me. Shall pick off the archers and men along that wall. After a certain amount of time, the Silvermists shall sprint up to our main force here."

Sir Aranor points at the eastern gate.

"We will bring up siege equipment needed to assault the walls. Commanders Wolfarmin, Myself, Varis, and Fabien shall lead the charges into the city. Sir Blaze and his berserkers shall lead the militia forces to the walls while the Silvermists cover them. When the gates are open, We shall charge in, and split up between the districts. The Silvermists shall stay on the walls, and the Berserkers shall use some special siege equipment we made to reinforce the districts we take."

"How do you wish to be used Sir Darlion?"

Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:25 am

William Fitzmerwill entered the tent, greeted Sir Varis with a friendly nod and then stood waiting for Aranor and Darlion to finish their conversation, so he could give his report on the defensive siege equipment.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:44 am

"Captain. Is there something you wish to say?"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:54 am

I'm just here to deliver my report, Sir Aranor. We have assembled five ballistae, 30 chevaux-de-frise, 15 large mantlets on wheels for the streets and 10 narrow mantlets that can be carried up the siege ladders and used as makeshift battlements facing the city once the walls are taken.

I suggest we ready ourselves even before dawn so we can attack together with the rising sun - he smirked at the rather epic sound of this. The enemy will thus have the sun against them, hindering their archers at aiming properly and making it harder for them to tell ruse from proper attack.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:46 am

With a look of surprise at Sir Darlion, Boar broke his silence.

"Fifty? Have my boys really been that quiet?" he chortled a laugh, the sound reverberating through the tent. "Mastifus sent a large bunch of our archers down here, with the knights and retainers. There's more than 160 of us Dragons here now." A pause, during which he wiped a gauntleted hand over his nose, sniffing loudly as he did so.

"Trust the mild weather to bring out a cold. Never get 'em back home" then seeming to remember where he was he looked up and glanced around the assembled commanders.

"No-one's told us what we're to do. Most of our lads are bow boys, and might be best suited with you Silvermists, it should increase your firepower, not to mention give you some more armoured bodies to absorb any return fire." A smile, another sniff, and another nose rub.

"As for the rest of the lads... well either we can form a shieldwall by the archers, give them even more protection particularly if the reds are stupid enough to sally... otherwise stick us up with the van, we'll hold the breach once its made until more of our forces get through. With us there, the reds will feel like they are the ones besieging a castle." He shrugged his massive shoulders, his face unreadable as to his preference.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 am

Sir Darlion listened intently to Sir Aranor's explanation of the battle plans, before turning his attention to the map. After a few moments had pased, and Fitzmerill gave his report, Darlion spoke up once more.

"Sir Aranor, I do have an idea or two to voice. Firstly, let's delay the siege one more day, so that my men will have enough time to improve your siege engines up to or standards, and build out own. Then, I suggest instead of having a ruse at the northern gate, let my army lay siege there as well. I simply don't have enough faith that the men on the walls will be fooled. If we have my force attack there though, it will force them to divide their army, or be forced into a very uncomfortable position once we're on the walls. It is perhaps more.. Straightforward than a ruse, but more reliable as well."

He paused when Boar spoke up, and allowed the Dragon knight to finish before continuing.

"The Griffons have archers with us as well, and would compliment your rangers nicely. Otherwise, they can assist us on the northern front."
Back to top Go down
MordKaiser87
Knight
MordKaiser87

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Varis politely returned the greeting to the Ranger as he walked in. He was relieved to learn that the Silvermists were able to construct defense mantlets, considering the time allotted. The knight was keen on not repeating the events of Veccavia. For the third time he read through the siege reports and went through the map of Javiksholm. After overhearing Sir Darlion's plan to facilitate a direct assault upon the northern gate rather than a mock attack, Varis broke his peace.

"Master Aranor, the Lord of the Griffons speaks true: we have the numbers and willingness of our allies, rather than rely on taking a single gate let us simply attack. The enemy will be forced to divide defenses among the two gates, as well as spread the enemy among a greater amount of defense points within the city. This will weaken the enemy and enable us to quickly strike at the two heads of this monstrosity..."

Varis quickly grabbed the map in front of him and laid it out before the gathered host,
The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 Javiks12
Pointing to the Red Dawn Chapter-Keep and the Temple District, he further elaborated,
"The Chapterhouse and the Temple: there we will likely find the two snakes Tenorio and Herlin," Varis spat.
"If not there, then we can both converge our forces for Koningur Keep," he said laying his hand over the center of the city map.
"I pray that Lord Redsword has no hand in this rebellion. But if Scarlet Bishop and Tenorio are being sheltered by Lord Redsword, we must take the castle as well."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Seeing that the others still pondered what had been said, Fitzmerwill dared to speak up once more.

Sir Darlion, your plan seems to be a sound one, except for the delay of the siege, as we cannot inform those who were sent to infiltrate the city. But there should be a solution to this problem:

The militia forces aren't of great use in actual fights anyway. Have them construct ladders tonight, so they are ready at dawn. As for breaking the gate I have another idea.
He turned to Sir Aranor: I would require all ropes we can spare and your smith to craft us two ballista bolts with barbed tips. The bolts will be tied to several long ropes and shot at a gate by the ballistae where they hopefully get stuck in the wood of the gate. Then the militia and horses from the planned mock-attack would have to pull the ropes, thus tearing the gate apart from afar, upon which the knights could charge in.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:57 pm

"We cannot wait another day Darlion, we have no way of telling the spies, without sending in more spies. We'll need to do with what I can. But, maybe it would be wise if you go with the ruse on the northern gate. We can use the ropes that the squires are using to do what the Captain suggested. Also, the Griffin archers would be of more use on the northern front, the Griffins need cover."

Sir Aranor turns to Boar

"The shieldwall you suggested sounds nice. What do you feel of splitting your rangers, so that the Griffins also have some more archers at the north?"

Sir Aranor turns to the captain.

"My only reserve about this, is the actuality of us being able to pull apart the gate. Now, I'm no scientist, but how much force would we need to pull the gate apart?"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Javiksholm's defenses are only made of wood, but I cannot tell how thick or heavy the gates are. The horses from the mock attack should, however, in any case provide the force needed. They should be prepared so they can start pulling as soon as the bolts get stuck. We cannot be sure that it works, but as it could provide a way of breaking the gate without getting near the gatehouse and thus taking the enemy by surprise, I'd say it is at least worth trying.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 am

Sir Darlion listened to the others in the tent speak before lettingh is voice be heard once more.

"I can't say I care much for the use of spies myself, but they are your men, and if you wish to keep to the plan for their sake so be it. Now, while we won't be able to storm the walls at the northern gate as would be ideal, I see no reason why a ram wouldn't do just as well to take the gate down, complimented by what ladders we can get up. I don't think bolts would be able to break through a city gate, so those resources should be used elsewhere."

He paused for a moment, before turning to Aranor and continuing.

"If it is all the same to you, Sir Aranor, you may handle your former brothers how you see fit. However, Earl Redsword is to be taken alive and unharmed to be presented to the king. I would like my men to handle this task."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:41 pm

As you say. I suggest, however, you have the camp's smith make an iron tip for the battering ram. I will notify the militia officer that his men need to cut and prepare an appropriate tree so your knights can rest before the battle.

So what is the final decision now, as to where we and our ballistae will be used?
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 11:24 pm

Sir Aranor stood silently in thought.

"I am sorry captain, but since we don't know the actual thickness of the gates, I think that a ram backed up with archers would be more reliable. We cannot waste a ballista on the north gate if we can't even punch through. They would be better used on the west gate."

"The ram should also be covered in hides, with twice the amount of men so they can shield the men, from any arrows, fire or regular."

"3 ballistae shall be on the west, 1 on the north, 1 on the south.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 EmptyFri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

Very well, I will pass on the orders to my men and the militia. We will be ready before dawn breaks.

Fitzmerwill saluted and shortly left the tent to inform his men and the militia.

Last edited by Iskar on Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Camp of the Dawn (IC)   The Camp of the Dawn (IC) - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Camp of the Dawn (IC)
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next