Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Manifest Destiny (Discussion)

Go down 
+24
Isabel Tenorio
Tubby McChubbles
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
MitchyMatt
Centurion1
Saeros
DiabloDude
Pravenstern
Iskar
Sir Aranor
Wolfarmin
dowpride
Azlanek
Ser Varys
Daedr0th
Curanthir
Slopsen
SimplePlan96
Lokloklok
Knight Silaric
Kamos
Psychozoa
Mordred
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:20 am

Tweaked in that they need to be bought before the battle. I just used Battle Standards as a name, though in reality they can be anything the Order wants these command gadgets to be. The Dragons for instance would likely use bagpipes.

@Marcus; I realise it can see big at the moment, but most if it is just explaining what the few lines of rules actually mean. I hope that it is more or less self explanatory.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:24 am

At this rate I won't be doing any RP at all, just number-crunching Very Happy

About turning 180 costing a move, what about lesser turns or attack angles? any effect?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:30 am

Nope, with units just having 1 or 2 actions a round we wouldn't have any movement at all if we had more strenuous turning costs. Battles should have the ability to be mobile and flow if their commanders want it, and having turning costs would constrain this too much.

That said you do get bonus's for flank attacks and rear attacks. We can say that a unit will automatically turn to face their opponent (unless an order against this is given, ie if they are facing down a bigger threat to the front).
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 2:45 am

I was preparing a list with standard formations with their intended effects for easy use in battle, but my numbers paled in comparison to the new rules.Nevertheless I'd like to ask: will our formations have a palpable effect on those rules?

For example:

Wide staggered line: more vulnerable to charges, but no costs for 180 turn.
Testudo: double mobility costs (nearly impossible to do a 180° turn)
Shield wall: charge defense bonus, mobility costs.

etc.

Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 am

Just please don't do the movie thing and make testudo an offensive formation.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:08 am

Would these be formations open to everyone? I am happy to create a list with modifiers / requirements for each one.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:20 am

The idea was to make a standard list of the most common formations and with their intended effects, so that both players and gms could use them with more ease and know what to expect. Very much as templates.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 am

Works for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:52 am

Perhaps the Battle rules list should also be given the unit stat lists?
Back to top Go down
dowpride
Knight
dowpride

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:29 am

so when does the hardcore strategy game come out? as well done and fun as this will be, i think gary grisbys war in the east is easier to understand on first glimpse...
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:44 am

In fact the battle rules aren't that complicated. Especially the formulae to calculate the outcome of fights are rather for the host of the event than for the players, so when fighting a battle you won't have to do horrendous calculations all the time.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:52 am

dowpride wrote:
so when does the hardcore strategy game come out? as well done and fun as this will be, i think gary grisbys war in the east is easier to understand on first glimpse...

Just look at all the rulebooks that games like AD&D use, and that is for just one character or a party. This is for entire armies and is actually very simplified.

Pravenstern wrote:
Perhaps the Battle rules list should also be given the unit stat lists?

I suspect that the Orders want to keep their particular stats and traits secret, so for the time being only the GM's know them. If you want them to be publicly available it would be easier for me as I can just keep it all in one place Smile
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 10:09 pm

what if you just used the rules from warhammer 40k/fantasy?
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:02 am

Rolling dice to hit, wound and then a saving throw for armor, followed by a moral test of the losing side in the melee? I don't think that would work for us here.
Back to top Go down
dowpride
Knight
dowpride

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 am

plus add in all sorts of contributing factors... ugh that would be a bugger to do.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:40 am

Please note, changes to some buildings as below;

It has come to my attention that the buildings granting a weekly influence bonus

a) have very little effect as the bonus is only 1 per week at base level and 3 per week on a higher level
b) cause unnecessarily much work for me when doing the influence stuff

Actually a sheriff or a town watch should be a natural thing to build in a castle or town, but as it stands now, they are rather useless and not really worth wasting a construction slot. Therefore I suggest changing their effects in order to make them worthwhile:

* Influence Bonus Removed
* 2nd tier of Sheriff introduced

Sheriff - +10% counter espionage, +1 command in defense battles due to intelligence
Sentry Outposts - +20% counter espionage, +2 command in defense battles

Town Watch - +10% counter espionage, 100 free militia soldiers in defense battles
City Watch - +20% counter espionage, 200 free militia soldiers in defense battles

Info Sheet updated. Thanks Iskar for the suggestions!

Last edited by Mordred on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 am

Heh, you outright plagiarised me. I'll call in the Dawn, I'm sure plagiarism is some form of heresy... Wink

Btw, have you updated the sheet in regard to farms being available on steppes, too?

Last edited by Iskar on Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:46 am

*Cough* referenced *cough*
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:35 am

Note;

Garrison requirements and rules removed entirely. Too much micromanagement and no gain.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 3:31 am

Just to be sure, we don't need Garrisons anymore to keep the Influence from falling in provinces where we got to aristocratic level?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 4:13 am

Correct
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:37 pm

I am still waiting for castle names from the Griffon, the Dragon and the Gauntlet and the two new castles of the Legion need to be named, too.

(cf. the table in "The Throne Room Map")
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Due to Mordred being very busy, the Dragon's castles are now open for your suggestions. You can find them listed in the Throne Room Map thread. I'm looking forward to your ideas Smile
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 12:13 am

Dragon-talons hold

Winterbane castle

Holdfast keep

Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 EmptyFri May 04, 2012 1:21 am

Scalefort
Blizzard's Stronghold
That-one-castle-in-the-middle-of-nowhere
Mastifus' Shield
Fort Pride
Spear Keep
Granite Pass Castle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Manifest Destiny (Discussion)   Manifest Destiny (Discussion) - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Manifest Destiny (Discussion)
Page 8 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 19  Next