Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just talking - archived

Go down 
+28
Tubby McChubbles
Psychozoa
Ser Varys
Sir Haegon
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Slopsen
Sir Laralthir
Lokloklok
Fidelity
Zero of Laria
Mordred
Daedr0th
MitchyMatt
MordKaiser87
mp84
Wolfarmin
Centurion1
Saeros
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
Kamos
SimplePlan96
Aldric of Marleons
Pravenstern
Curanthir
Azlanek
DiabloDude
Sir Aranor
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

Just talking - archived - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 am

Just letting everyone know, I've had little internet access for the last month or so, and will off and on for the foreseeable future. Just a heads up.
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Might need to post the Griffon report in the camp then.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Since Aranor is now a court official, he can post the reports in the chapter houses just as mordred did.
Back to top Go down
Laisha
Knight
Laisha

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:04 am

Saeros wrote:
I'm not able to see what is happening within their [the Knights of the Ebony Gauntlet] chapterhouse and therefore I can't really judge it.However, what I am aware of is the low adherence to their order.

If the situation becomes too dire, perhaps you GMs should consider dismantling them and establishing a minor order in their place (Windriders, Radiant cross, Valkyries), which would draw attention of new players. Another option would be to do as was done with the Silvermists, i.e. merging them with another order (e.g. make the minor order come to Ethos seeking refuge) - there was a time when half of our members were Clarion rangers, so you see how that might also boost interest in the Gauntlet, and thus would allow more players to join them. At any rate, as I see it, keeping it as it is will hardly be fruitful.

It's clear to me that Saeros is attempting to sabotage the Ebony Gauntlet. I see past your attempts to "help" them.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:12 am

Surely a Silvermist would never try to sabotage the Ebony Gauntlet!

It must have been a Noldor, not Saeros. >.>

Perhaps the Silvermist need to reconsider their Noldor-hugging ways.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:21 am

Saeros wrote:

merging them with another order (e.g. make the minor order come to Ethos seeking refuge)

Not to give anything away, but it might be possible that I am attempting this.

Which is in of itself giving it away.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:18 am

Hey, I just hate them in-game. As a player, I want to see them thrive, pose a real threat to us, and threaten the Noldor peace with their behavior. And as much as I like the Silvermist and the players there, our order has not the same Noldor charm as the one in the game.
We are just flavoured powerful and wealthy rangers. The Gauntlets, too, seem to be just melee brutes with a coating of superficial Noldor hate. So even my character's hate of Gauntlets is kind of a forced lore.

If I were you, I would use the Radiant Cross hospital that is already in Ethos (it's there, isn't it?) and seduce them into the Gauntlet. They are cool (not as cool as windridres or valkyries), but might get people interested. Otherwise, if adherence has indeed become problem - one that cannot be solved by sheer quality RPing - , I would simply give up and ask the GMs to disband them and revive a minor one in its place.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am

Unfortunately there are rarely genuine chances to make the noldor-hate an actionable characteristic. While my character doesn't hate the rangers (but anything we can prove the noldor are involved, I will make it my mission to get irrational), and new members have been encouraged to be a bit more openminded towards the Noldor, I am wary of going too far one way or the other.

It seems the only choices is either to become ridiculous bigots, or sweep everything under the blanket a-la Dawn/Eventide, neither of which I want to do at all, because one removes choice, the other is just boring for an order with little influence and few members.

I (obviously) don't like the idea of the Gauntlet just going out with a whimper, and would rather end on some insane high note, but it's stormy seas ahead!
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 am

I think that at the end of this we will be seating at the same table in Laria drinking ale together. It seems Pendor has become way too mild and tolerant for everyone's tastes. Where is Aranor when you need him?

In my story it's not Mordred that pacifies the land, but his son. I guess the prophecy was fulfilled one generation earlier, then Smile
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:49 am

Saeros wrote:
I think that at the end of this we will be seating at the same table in Laria drinking ale together. It seems Pendor has become way too mild and tolerant for everyone's tastes. Where is Aranor when you need him?

In my story it's not Mordred that pacifies the land, but his son. I guess the prophecy was fulfilled one generation earlier, then Smile

You can help Pendor get its spice back... just start executing the 'enemies of the friends of the Noldor' by some exotic and/or creative means Razz
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:51 am

Just you wait, Henry Higgins, just you wait! Wink

The current problem is just that the slow moving events keep most orders from spending their resources on other things. We will get back to our own game of thrones as soon as we're done with the events. Then we will also flesh out our pro-Noldor attitude more.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:01 am

Oooh! Assuming Theo survives getting trampled by those netherworld chargers, it will be neat!

The problem is that we are too well-behaved. It kind of fits, us being members of ultra-loyal orders and Mordred being a benevolent king and all. But this does prevent major sparks between us. Oh, but we still have 20 years, much can change, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:02 am

Saeros wrote:

I'm biding my time. I'm the one outside the tavern with a torch.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:13 am

Well, I've come to the conclusion that we, i.e. the GMs made a severe mistake at the beginning of the RP and especially the meta game by making the influence of the crown so strong. Since nobody wanted to loose royal funds and recruits and nobody wanted to get the royal army (aka Pendor nuke) dropped on him either, people were literally forced to play the nice guys, avoiding conflicts when possible. We will soon come up with a better system for order recruits that takes into account different sources, like peasantry, local nobility, zealots, crown loyalists, etc., in contrast to the currently used one which basically has only crown loyalists. What we have now as royal funding may also be turned into a more general "donations and funds" from similar sources as the recruits, so the crown would only be one in many parties that support (or choose not to support) the orders.
Back to top Go down
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Knight
Sir Celdiur Moriendor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:23 am

I reckon I already know the answer to this but here goes nothing. I would be more than happy to make a second character if it means helping the Gauntlet get back on its feet. Or even if I have to RP an existing member just to make the Order more active, doesnt bother me either way. Just a suggestion though.

I can understand why no one else has suggested this. For anyone whos not a GM to know whats happening in more than one Order could be considered an unfair advantage, though I think im good at keeping my mouth shut! Smile

The offers their if you need it.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:54 am

Iskar wrote:
Well, I've come to the conclusion that we, i.e. the GMs made a severe mistake at the beginning of the RP and especially the meta game by making the influence of the crown so strong. Since nobody wanted to loose royal funds and recruits and nobody wanted to get the royal army (aka Pendor nuke) dropped on him either, people were literally forced to play the nice guys, avoiding conflicts when possible. We will soon come up with a better system for order recruits that takes into account different sources, like peasantry, local nobility, zealots, crown loyalists, etc., in contrast to the currently used one which basically has only crown loyalists. What we have now as royal funding may also be turned into a more general "donations and funds" from similar sources as the recruits, so the crown would only be one in many parties that support (or choose not to support) the orders.

The possibilities for this are great. The Dawn could burn a 'heretical' village and gain a few knights! >.>

<.<

Come on, Aranor, you know you want to!

Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 11:51 am

Iskar wrote:
Well, I've come to the conclusion that we, i.e. the GMs made a severe mistake at the beginning of the RP and especially the meta game by making the influence of the crown so strong. Since nobody wanted to loose royal funds and recruits and nobody wanted to get the royal army (aka Pendor nuke) dropped on him either, people were literally forced to play the nice guys, avoiding conflicts when possible. We will soon come up with a better system for order recruits that takes into account different sources, like peasantry, local nobility, zealots, crown loyalists, etc.,

This is a good idea, and yes I am in complete agreement. As many of you know I have been very, very careful about dropping the Pendor Nuke on anyone, and have been quite open to suggestions of inter-Order conflict; hence the royal blind eye tactfully ignoring a number of sieges currently going on in the realm, and the continuing plight of the nobility vis a vis the Orders, something no right thinking Monarch would ever do.

One of my favourite political theories is that of "International Anarchy", in that wars still occur in the world because there is no world government with the military clout to stop them. Unfortunately, the very idea of the "Prophecy" in Pendor: Aftermath being its unification has just proved this theory right; we have that world power who can slap the naughty Orders with a cry of "NO!" and send them off to bed with no dinner.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:04 pm

Perhaps the nobility could assert itself against the king, resulting in less centralized control? Several historical examples come to mind (Granted the monarchs tended to win, at least in Western Europe). Poland would be a good example, though it was an elective monarchy. IIRC every noble had veto power. The nobility of the Holy Roman Empire achieved great success against the Habsburgs, though it was a long-term struggle. The French had their nobility issues, ultimately crushed by everyones favorite men in red. (If you don't know who I'm referring to, you have some great reading ahead of you Razz)

There are lots of possibilities for allowing greater flexibility regarding the monarchy, it seems to me that it's mostly a matter of selecting what issue(s) would upset the nobility. As long as Mordred's personal fiefdoms, along with those of his closest allies, are not too overpowering, the King could stay as a first-among-equals. Or it could be more formally restricted due to a parliament/estatesgeneral/reichstag etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Quote :
Well, I've come to the conclusion that we, i.e. the GMs made a severe mistake at the beginning of the RP and especially the meta game by making the influence of the crown so strong. Since nobody wanted to loose royal funds and recruits and nobody wanted to get the royal army (aka Pendor nuke) dropped on him either.

I think we all just learned a lesson in social psychology here.

Quote :
Unfortunately, the very idea of the "Prophecy" in Pendor: Aftermath being its unification has just proved this theory right; we have that world power who can slap the naughty Orders with a cry of "NO!" and send them off to bed with no dinner.

I must disagree. No land remains unified for too long. Some are just more resilient than others.

... is anyone else thinking on Europa Universalis right now?
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm always thinking of EU Razz Unfortunately the grand strategy 'series' from Paradox has ruined most other strategy games for me.

It seems Pendor just needs 'A Time of Troubles' along with the reformation hitting, all after the manpower has been depleted containing the Big Blue Blob of France, and having a succession crisis with -3 stability Razz

(I hate you, Saeros. Now I have to play that as the Knights of Rhodes/Malta instead of PoP3.5)
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:16 pm

I play Victoria as a seccesionist state of Brazil. When I finally manage to manifest destiny all the way to the south, those other huge american countries fall over me and crush my dreams of greatness. Then comes the BBB of France and the UK and make me their zombie. Perhaps it is a good thing Garibaldi lost that war, after all... tiny countries always seem to get raped in america.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:22 pm

What about if Mordred slips into a coma and the land tips into temporary anarchy.
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:46 pm

DrSane wrote:
What about if Mordred slips into a coma and the land tips into temporary anarchy.

A regent would take over Razz

I generally don't play american countries in Vicky, except for initially learning. I prefer middle eastern states (Basically either the Ottomans or Persia) for when I want more of a challenge. Or something insane like Krakow, but gamey tactics are the only way to survive as those countries. It's really fun in EUIII to conquer the Americas as the Knights of Malta though. (I <3 crusader/knight pirates, sooo... The Knights FTW!)
Back to top Go down
Daedr0th
Squire
Daedr0th

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 2:39 pm

The Ebony Gauntlet is suffering from lack of activity, mostly from players joining our ranks and then never being seen for plenty of months, merging us with another chapter would be a good decision but I'll leave it up to Tubby as he's put most of his time into our Knighthood. The inactivity in our chapter house is disappointing and probably isn't a very good impression on new players and it doesn't really give much communication with each members.

Maybe I should just stop being fat.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:09 pm

I fear merging the Gauntlet with a minor order would not solve the problem itself. While it is true that the Silvermist gained three recruits that played Clarion Call characters, only one of these has stayed until now. The Silvermist was pretty active (regarding both order roleplay in the CH board and a continued discussion of the political situation and future plans) even before the merge with the Clarion Call, so I think it is rather the former than the latter that kept us active and alive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking - archived   Just talking - archived - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just talking - archived
Page 13 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26 ... 40  Next