Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Just talking

Go down 
+12
Mordred
Kamos
Hetzau
tobberman
Curanthir
Pravenstern
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Sir Aranor
Iskar
Azlanek
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Saeros
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

Just talking - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 am

I come here at least once a week, call me insane but I'm glad it's finally paid off. I really like the pace and progression of the story as well. It didn't feel like it was dragging on too much
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 16, 2014 8:32 am

Yeah, same here. Visiting the Pendor pages never quite worked itself out of my routine.

The pacing actually is one of the biggest concerns I have with this kind of story. It all happens in one place, and the basic story is pretty simple and can probably be put into like 3-5 sentences. Much of what I put into the story are things that I "just wanted to say about Pendor or the characters" and that I somehow worked into the narrative, but which could be left out without harming the basic story. It probably is less of an annoyance for people that are also already passionate about the setting, but for others it might be kind of distracting, maybe even disrupting the reading experience. I don't expect many non-Pendor people to read it, though, so sod them Twisted Evil.
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 17, 2014 3:50 am

Well I love all things Pendor so I didn't have any gripes with it!
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 21, 2014 7:39 am

Just saw something else that immediately made me think about Pendor Rp: Life is Feudal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzMLo0hQ_c
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 1:56 pm

A new hope?
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 23, 2014 11:53 pm

Judging by recent activity, I highly doubt it. In any case, it would be something entirely different. I just liked the thought of it.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 9:44 pm

I found an online source for the basic battle rules that I suggested a couple of posts ago. I am still somewhat curious about the whole system, including the kingdom managment rules that go with it, and I think Pendor would be a great setting to try them out.

Don't know if anyone is still interested in such a thing, but I would love to do at least something like a test battle. If you are interested, just have a look.

Battle rules:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/kingdomsAndWar/massCombat.html

Overall Kingdom rules:

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCampaign/kingdomsAndWar.html
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 7:08 am

So here I am, two months too late to share in a nostalgia trip. Sad

As this was my first RP ever and the interaction between the players both IC and OOC was such a thrill (including the 300 pm's that went around whenever inter-order-stuff happened), that for me, too, Aftermath will always be remembered fondly.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 8:36 am

Sir Haegon wrote:

As this was my first RP ever and the interaction between the players both IC and OOC was such a thrill (including the 300 pm's that went around whenever inter-order-stuff happened), that for me, too, Aftermath will always be remembered fondly.
Nothing to be ashamed about. Aftermath was just something else entirely. It was my first RP too...

Also, great story Azlanek!
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Sir Haegon wrote:

Hopefully, it won't be the last. I always quite enjoy these.

Pravenstern wrote:
Also, great story Azlanek!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it. If you have any remarks on what worked and what didn't for you, don't hesitate to share. I am all for constructive criticism. Initially I had considered writing one such piece for each of the companions, but I knew even then that I would never manage that. The one I still think about from time to time is Kaverra losing it after Roland's death and using her manopener as can opener for a change, when she lashes out at a few knights of the Dawn that she holds responsible. Wonder whether the Eventide gene has anything to do with it Twisted Evil .
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 04, 2014 9:25 am

Sir Haegon wrote:

It was my first serious online RP as well. I've participated briefly in other gaming groups after Aftermath and AKD, but their communities were nothing compared to this one. I think we were really lucky in gathering a bunch of smart, mature, friendly, and passionate players on the same forum.

And, of course, I'm also of the opinion that you write pretty well Azlanek. It's fluent and very pleasant to read. I recall SD told me we couldn't publish anything pop related, but if we could I'd totally kickstart a longer story from you.

Also, the little things matter. I did notice how you increase font size for a single letter at the beginning of each chapter Smile Pretty neat.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 05, 2014 9:35 am

Saeros wrote:
And, of course, I'm also of the opinion that you write pretty well Azlanek. It's fluent and very pleasant to read. I recall SD told me we couldn't publish anything pop related, but if we could I'd totally kickstart a longer story from you.

Wow, that is a pretty big compliment to give. Thank you for that. Pendor certainly has the potential for a lot of great stories, but yeah, without SD there is probably not much going to happen on that front.

Saeros wrote:
Also, the little things matter. I did notice how you increase font size for a single letter at the beginning of each chapter Smile Pretty neat.

Making things somewhat presentable for online reading is really something I find utterly challenging. Everything just looks so neat and perfect when you see it written in a printed book, and the formatting is so very different that I really am at a loss when it comes to how to best present a project. It is nice to see that every little bit seems to be noticed.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Anyone already had a look at the new Viking DLC for Warband?
Back to top Go down
Sir Aranor
Grandmaster
Sir Aranor

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 15, 2014 3:54 am

No, how does it look?
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 16, 2014 7:28 pm

Haven't tried it yet. Heard it is still buggy as hell (might already be solved by now, don't know). But sea battles and the story mod it promises look kind of tempting.
Back to top Go down
Kamos
Grandmaster
Kamos

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 8:47 am

Someone mentioned the RP in the art thread. Had to check back in. Fun read you've got there Azlanek.

I'm still waiting on Bannerlord personally.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Hello everyone. That RP mention made me come back too.

Merry Christmas to you all.

Also, if we're doing any writing, I want to help if at all possible.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 4:10 am

A merry Christmas to everybody from me as well.

Thanks Kamos! Glad you liked it. I have to admit though, I somewhat surprised that so far nobody has disliked my version of Jocelyn. I would have expected for at least some people to find him to weak and whiny, having constructed a more heroic and confident image of him during their own campaigns. Am I mistaken about this?

I saw the art thread as well, and it brought back some very found memories. I liked the aftermath of the first event very much in general, with praise and punishment being handled out by the king and everybody arguing about this or that. With all the orders still (in theory, at least) united in working towards a common goal, it had a feeling of purpose and density that I found very enjoyable, even though the Eventide probably had the least impact when it came to the outcome of the event, having not really committed to the whole thing manpower-wise. Back then, I really had hoped casualties would be a lot higher for everybody, and that the Eventide would benefit from not having sent a lot of troops to be slaughtered in defence of the realm. Alas, not all evil plans are rewarded by success Twisted Evil.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 7:32 am

Oh, you guys were heroic back at the Stormcliff Clove. Whatever went into you, you devilish bastard, that made you change your plans so? Razz

I just got through the Jocelyn chapters. That was a good read. I liked them and I agree with Kamos about your writing Smile

You know this kinda makes me want to come back to this roleplaying thing.
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 9:36 am

Dislike your take on Jocelyn, Azlanek? Why, I'd never. If anything, I'd say the best part about the story is the characterisation of the companions. Sir Jocelyn's personality and beliefs are quite consistent within the context provided, but I find your take on Alistair to be the best. Seriously, the man just reeks of win there with his chessmaster tendencies. Especially since I find it quite ambiguous what he was really after:

Azlanek wrote:
Even though his heart was heavy with grief, he did not regret any of it. Except maybe for the fact that he had Alistair to thank for it. That was just cruel.

The ending quote also allows for the interpretation that Alistair was really there to help Jocelyn (although I doubt it). Then again, ambiguity is one of the most defining characteristics of the Eventide.

Typo alert:
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 10:08 am

I believe challenging the heroic image is a both neat and bold move from authors. I personally think heroes and epic characters always have major flaws of some sort - heroes are not average people, and you can't be that extreme without also having extreme personality traits. My image of a proper hero is something like Kara Thrace from Battlestar Galactica, Ender from Ender's Game, or Frodo - the more they advanced in their quests, the more traumas and scars they were forced to deal with. I mentioned this back when I created the negative traits for the character system, which characters would receive randomly after an intense event. I like seeing descriptions of a hero having nightmares of the time he faced a demon on the battlefield, or crying under his helmet before ordering a volley against rebels of his order. It feels... real.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 22, 2014 9:57 pm

I must admit, I never really cared for the particular personalities of the companions beyond disliking a number of them for their background (mostly Alyssa for not really admitting the evilness of the cult). So that story of yours has really opened up an intriguing new perspective to me, Azlanek. Very Happy

The mention in the TW thread really brought back memories and every now and then I check back with these forums here. It seems strange as all the role-play and metagame orders threads lie deserted, but not finished, like an abandoned house where things lie around as if they had just been used and it seems one would simply have to blow the dust off to make them come back to life... Perhaps...

Anyway, Merry Christmas to everybody (even the Gauntlet Wink) and happy new year. Smile
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 2:40 am

Even to you, dear Sir Darlion. Even to you.
Back to top Go down
Sir Haegon
Knight
Sir Haegon

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 7:58 am

:'(

I just downloaded PoP on my 'new' laptop and I miss this place so much suddenly. Anyone up for a nostalgia-RP of sorts?
Back to top Go down
Pravenstern
Knight
Pravenstern

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 8:05 am

It would take a lot of work, but it is certainly possible to rebuild the RP. The question is, should we. While watching it now is truly nostalgic, it just isn't the same when you try it again. In addition, the continuation might be a letdown which might diminish the fond memories somewhat.

That said, I would not be averse to a small scale RP for the hell of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just talking   Just talking - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just talking
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next