Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Politics of the East (OOC)

Go down 
+6
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Psychozoa
Saeros
Iskar
Sir Aranor
Mordred
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2012 11:43 pm

Ok I will adjust my post.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:08 am

Winter is Coming....

I just had to write this =)

And just to clarify a bit. In Germany nearly every 30 years comes a very strong winter. Start of the 1930s,1962/63, 1995/96. The steppes a quite pinched between two big mountains ranges and huge lake so it becomes a bit worse than in Germany.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:19 am

Why? Being close to a lake should ease the winters, just as maritime climate does.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:22 am

PS: Meh, why do we have to face a "Jahrhundertwinter"? Aren't there enough problems already... Guess we'll have to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:25 am

Iskar wrote:
Why? Being close to a lake should ease the winters, just as maritime climate does.

Not necessarily, just look at the American / Canadian Great Lakes. All it takes is a wide swathe of land for the cold winds to blow over, and a sudden change in wind direction.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 am

Quote :
And just to clarify a bit. In Germany nearly every 30 years comes a very strong winter. Start of the 1930s,1962/63, 1995/96
Wasn't there a hellish winter after the war as well? Locals told me that even the river Main froze.

But, heh, I had a 35-40° Summer in Germany. Your weather is weird. Besides the fact that there's no wind in Frankfurt.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:32 am

Also, trust the Germans to have a regimented weather system, bad winters seem to be entirely random in the UK Razz
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:34 am

It's Germany, what did you expect?

Spoiler:

EDIT: From Commerzbank.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:37 am

HAHAHA! That's brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:47 am

I love that. It's like "There can never be a revolution in Germany." - "Why?" - "It's against the law."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:42 am

Added a bit to my last post to keep the conversation running.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:24 am

Nice to see you're back Aldric. Smile I hope Sandy did not go too hard on you?

Btw, I'm slightly disquieted about Laisha's absence. If I remember correctly she is also from the north-eastern US.
Back to top Go down
Aldric of Marleons
Knight
Aldric of Marleons

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:30 pm

lol, it was fine over here in Pennsylvania. Just some really harsh wind and rain from Monday afternoon to night. I stayed inside my dorm during that time. Tuesday was pretty quiet. However, The east coast got hit pretty bad. My family back in New York City, got hit pretty hard. A tree hit our next door neighbor's pouch. Sucks for them. Razz Some areas are even out of power, too.

Laisha is from Pennsylvania, too. She should be fine if she didn't go out during the storm. I heard quite a few people died from falling trees. But yeah, I hope she's fine.
Back to top Go down
Laisha
Knight
Laisha

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 2:47 pm

Yes. The elevation of the mountains meant we got brutal wind gusts. Took the utility company guys three hours to get all the tree off the power lines. So many pines...slain by the wind. But I'm warming up now. I'm clean. I'm back to my ritual sacrifices. You know the deal. Now I have to catch up here.
Back to top Go down
Aldric of Marleons
Knight
Aldric of Marleons

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Good stuff. Glad to here you're A okay. Seems like the storm hit you harder where you were at. I guess Altoona isn't really elevated at all, so I just got some rain and wind.
Back to top Go down
Laisha
Knight
Laisha

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Altoona? ...Well, I know the name. I'm pretty sure you're not far off at all, though.

Anyway, yeah, the gusts are stronger at higher elevation Less terrain blocking them and higher intensity as you go up. So even though we were both pretty far from where the storm made landfall, the mountains just got it worse.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Good to hear you're alright.

Btw, I cannot believe how good it feels to actually get something done in an IC meeting after this bicker-ish throne room event. Smile
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Ok I just post this first OOC if I miscalculate something.

- you can give 3 tonnes of Wood per month--> ~5 months till winter = 15 Tonnes (Please check if the production is per month of week)
- 1 Tonne = ~4m³ of wood (favourably calculated)
- through personal experience I know that you need 4m³ for a family of 5 in a modern house (8 rooms) about 6 months of cold(I spent long time in the woods cutting down trees in my youth)
- I would say this roughly translates to 30 people sitting around a big fireplace
- population is 2000 (correct if this wrong)
- so in the worst case you need for 6 months of harsh cold 266 Tonnes of wood, for 4 months you need 177 tonnes

this is a product of 10 minutes and only personal experience, correct if anything seems amiss
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:12 pm

Don't take the "tonnes" of Pendor too much like modern units. For example, 12 tonnes/units/wagonloads/whatevers of timber sufficed to build palisades around all villages in the steppes (4 counties effectively), and 27 units did that for all villages in all our nine holdings, so these units we speak of are most likely more than 4m³.

If with 3 units you can build palisades around every single village in a county, one or two should suffice to enact necessary repairs on the roofs or thicken the walls, maybe build a shelter for the animals.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Perhaps we should use the scale:

2 tonnes = "that which is enough to build a ship" (I have not idea if this is correct, I'm just using something we're all familiar with).
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Ok, I just looked something up.

Early Caravels weighted around 50 tonnes, development started around 1450

so is everyone fine that we use 1 "Wagonload" of timber for 25 tonnes of wood?

lets calculate again: I tweaked the numbers again, at first I calculated favourably to you because it was such a big number to deliver

- you can give 3 Wagonloads of Wood per month--> ~5 months till winter = 15 Wagonloads = 375 Tonnes (Please check if the production is per month of week)
- 1 Tonne = ~3m³ of wood (normal calculation)
- so you can deliver 1125m³ of wood
- through personal experience I know that you need 7m³ for a family of 5 in a modern house (8 rooms) about 6 months of cold(I spent long time in the woods cutting down trees in my youth)
- I would say this roughly translates to 20 people sitting around a big fireplace
- population is 2000
- so you need 700m³ of firewood for 6 months
- that leaves you with 425m³ or 6 (5,6 rounded up) Wagonloads of wood for the rest

Last edited by Psychozoa on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:40 pm

As long as that is conformal with how we used it before, I'm fine with it. Keep in mind though that timber is now also used for troops and buildings and we are likely to adapt the amounts as we see how the new metagame develops. I'll use the unit "wagonloads" for this steppe-RP and assume that it refers to those amounts three of which suffice for palisading all villages in a county.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:49 pm

PS: When my character talks about a month IC it means one turn of the metagame OOC (three turns = 1 season => 1 turn = 1 month)

PPS: @Saeros: I think the particular metagame buildings like taverns and inns are only for cities. What we build here would be RP-use-only buildings, so just take a wagonload of timber and have a simple inn and a storehouse constructed at Wayrest Castle. I'll upgrade it to a Hill Fort with the next orders, anyway, so there will in fact be some according development in the metagame, that we will be able to use.
Back to top Go down
Psychozoa
Knight
Psychozoa

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 10:51 pm

I edited my post.

If you use 3 Wagonloads of wood which is 75 Tonnes or 300m³ you can build a palisade 2 meters high, 10cm deep and 1,5km long...

I think that would be enough for most small settlements.

Last edited by Psychozoa on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 11:03 pm

You mean 300 m³? Yeah, that seems reasonable, let's roll with that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Politics of the East (OOC)   Politics of the East (OOC) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Politics of the East (OOC)
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next