Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)

Go down 
+18
Curanthir
Psychozoa
Laisha
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Sir Celdiur Moriendor
Datedsandwich
Kamos
Aldric of Marleons
Tubby McChubbles
tobberman
Sir Aranor
Sir Haegon
Pravenstern
Ser Varys
Saeros
Isabel Tenorio
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next
AuthorMessage
tobberman
Knight
tobberman

IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Johan looked Zekic and said in calm voice:

"Calm down, nobody has been accused, only stated that certain statements might lead to suspicions."

Johan then looked around and continued:

"Splitting is right choice, but it doesn't mean that people are seperated. Culture still travels through borders and traditions can be kept. Nothing forbids co-operation between lords. And yes, I know nature of northern people, I have been there myself. But people will understand, adapt and become strong part of the kingdom. We all have to change with the world.

Johan ended his speech and sat down.
Back to top Go down
Tubby McChubbles
Grandmaster
Tubby McChubbles

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

Sir Lucius got to his feet, his eyes flashing for a split second as he looked at the Constable, but his face and his voice appeared remarkably calm as he spoke.

I'm going to address a few concerns over our brother order's suggestions before I continue with my own, one of which my subordinate has already mentioned.

You criticize Sir Mastifus for his outburst, and then act as if you expect the reaction to be different amongst the populace of the Ravenstern territories. These people are not willing to be split up and placed under what they see as uninterested and ill-informed control. They have loyalty to the king, but no loyalty to the other dukes of Pendor. Even worse, you plan on putting half of Ravenstern under the control of a Sarleon Lord, who warred with them and denied their people legitimacy. How do you think they will react to that, Constable?

Secondly, your suggestion for operations in Eastmarch, where you would, by your admission, abandon my order to fight alone against the Noldor should they attack us. That would constitute an attack on the realm, and as such would require all orders to fight. You also admit that the Noldor could attack us at any time, should your vaunted diplomacy fail. Regarding this point, claiming relations with the Noldor as solely your responsibility seems to me like it could result in the Noldor becoming allied with the rangers, rather than the crown. Last time I checked, the King does have diplomats, and he uses them, not the Rangers, in his dealings with the Noldor. Gentlemen, this particular suggestion is simply the Rangers attempting to consolidate their own relations with the elves while abandoning the Crown and the Gauntlet to bear the consequences of failure.

Finally, the concept of the Sentinel Coast is laughable. Cez is in ruins, and unable to sustain operations against Snake Cult forces, and this lends credence the the argument that Kyros Dux, while an effective leader, is out of his depth. Additionally, his loyalty to the crown is in doubt, especially due to his relation with Marius, who was, as we know, on good terms with King Mordred. Defence of the Coast should be co-ordinated by Iskoman, Janos, Ethos and take use of all the coastal fortresses, as well as a combined naval force loyal to the king.

My suggestion is, I believe, radical but effective. The presence of provinces is a barrier to the true unification of the realm, where lords of doubtful loyalty accrue power over large areas, and over their subordinate lords. I propose that provinces are removed, and the realm united under the King. This would prevent accumulation of power, improve mediation between duchies, and improve defences. In this case, the King would be able to easily step in to disagreements between lords, rather than a governor reaching agreements for his own gain. This also removes the need for defensive provinces, which are an outmoded concept. An attack does not come in the same place every time, situations at home are never constant, and in the case of an invasion, the King would be able to form temporary provinces that would provide the most tactical benefit.

The King's direct rule also helps us in areas such as Ravenstern, where the people are loyal to the Crown, and understand that it has their interests at heart. This will greatly help the lands to become integrated, and prevent the dangers that come with splitting them up. Of course, the system of duchies would still be in place, along with all they entail, but under more direct control.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Iskar simply ignored the outburst of Zekic, but when Lucius spoke he almost laughed. Instead he managed to reduce it to a chuckle.

You speak against yourself without knowing, Lucius. You say the people of the north are ready to rise against the crown at the slightest reduction of their autonomy or change of the former borders. If it is really that way it will be high time for the crown to intervene and restore its proper authority in the north. One cannot let such defiance have its way without inspiring other separatists throughout the realm. Furthermore, he added with a half turn to Sir Mastifus, I trust the loyal order of the Dragon would quell any uprising against our king in the counties under their influence.

As for your concerns about fighting the Noldor, I am rather surprised you are not eager to face them in battle. Has the valiance of your order suffered just as your funds and assets did under the mismanagement of the late Colm Stoutheart? You should also listen more closely. I spoke of Aeldarian and his kin, not of King Avaldain himself who has sanctioned a peace with King Mordred. I am sure your order would be able to deal with a single Noldor lord and his house? Of course, in case of a proper war our loyalty would lie with the people of Pendor, whom we have defended already with all our might at Stormcliff Cove just as well as at Cez recently - in contrast to your order one might say. Duke Aldemar of Poinsbruk could also be named governor, however, of you so much wish for a northerner to rule this province, although I find this distinction of origin rather silly in light of the task at hand.

The city of Cez can be quickly rebuilt with timber from our Sawmills and coin from our coffers to support Kyros Dux and the Legion. Kyros's Dux loyalty should be without question after he defended his city against the cult, when he could have allied them. But as I said, Duke Rafiq of Torbah would be a good choice for this province, too.

Now, your suggestion is truly radical but far from effective. His majesty is despite all his glory and outstanding abilities just a single man, who cannot be in more than one place at once. Centrally administrating the whole kingdom will cause the development of a huge administrative apparatus, that will alienate the people from the king rather than bind them closer to the crown. Provinces governed by trusted lords of the realm ensure a rule that is sufficiently close to the people and relieve the royal court of a lot of administrative work. Furthermore you seem to take the notion of a province too much like a separate sub-kingdom. All the governor does is organise levies and tax collection for the crown as well as handle the local laws and act as highest judge. There are no incursions on the ducal authority of the other dukes in the province.

He turned to Merzinas now, his stern expression softening.

Your question is valid, Merzinas, and the answer is simple: All the provinces I suggested have a purpose that unites the duchies, be it trade, defense or both. Fighting together against the foes of the kingdom will unite the people just as well as flourishing trade routes will. In fact nothing prevents war better than flourishing trade. Who would want to stab a man if he can make a comfortable living from trading with him? The people also mostly care for their local allegiance more than for that to the old vanished kingdoms. The lords however must not be allowed to group together in the old constellations. Splitting the old provinces among the new makes it more difficult to organise an intrigue or uprising as there will always be other lords in the same province that have no sympathy for the separatist plans of the traitors.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 pm

This time, it was Zekic who loughed, with smile he replied to Iskar
"I will leave other points for my grandmaster to adress, but i just couldn't be silent about this one."

"So rather then peacfull assimilation you want to provoke rebellion in former Ravenstern, then wage war on it and destroy it's economy? Well well, and i tought i was bloodthristry"
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Iskar returned the laugh.

You are trying to tell me that the people one the one hand will rebel on the slightest change of the current situation, being ready to take up arms even against the crown just to defend the dead idea of Ravenstern, but on the hand will peacefully integrate into the realm of Pendor? Don't make me laugh. What you suggest is letting the crown tolerate separatists tendencies at the mere hint of uprising. Then why should the crown treat the rest of the kingdom differently? What would keep the former imperials, D'Shar, Fierdsvain and sarleonians from defying his majesty's orders, if they just have to threaten the peace of the realm?

Furthermore my concerns are mostly about the lords. Only nobles rise for banners and autonomy. Peasants rise for bread and merchants for coin. Keep them well supplied with that and any uprising will be a mere gathering of traitor lords, that can easily be dealt with.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:19 pm

This time zekic was'nt loughing
"Slightest change?! You trying to pose such innocent, but you fail miserably, spliting province apart isin't a slight change. Don't you forget northerns are stubborn,yet honorouble, they will see separating theyr province, as defying they'r people. Northfolk know they lost a war against our king, and will slowly fully accept it, but you have to respect them, if you know something about respect silvermist. They are all like one, undivided and yes this is perfect for separatisting toughts, but don't give them a reason to rebel and they won't rebel. You give them a big reason, you defy they'r honor, you throw at they'r face that they almost like slaves now, and i can gurantee you, rebellion will follow. Northerns are diffrent from other people, you want they'r respect, they'r loyality - treat them with respect, and with honour, this is the only way to prevent rebbellion and secure peacefull integration."
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:26 pm

"We all have to change with the world", Saeros muttered Johann's words repeatedly to himself.

"As I said, I *am* a northerner - nay, I am a northerner from the Northern marches, the last civilized region before the Mystmountains and the unknown reaches of the kingdom. My opinion about the fate of old Ravernstern is of as much worth as Sir Mastifus'. Furthermore, I repead the constable's words: the lords must not be allowed to remain organized in their old alliances. We must strengthen our unity, and for that we need to dissolve anything that could lead to rebellion.

But let us consider this: should we choose not to divide the North, how would that influence other provinces? Have you considered that such proposal will end up with extremely large and powerful provinces? Would you, then, suggest that we attach the Larian duchy to the old Empire provice? I have no qualms with that possibility, but you must be aware of how that would create instability in the kingdom... two very powerful and semi-indepentent provinces, namely, old Ravenstern and old Empire - and, which is worse: bordering one another. This will lead to disaster."

Then, turning to Zekic.

"I do not think that is possible. I agree with the constable: with good trade, enough food, and a strong presence of the king, it isn't easy to foment rebellion.

However... if the Western Ravensternians are indeed so eager to take up arms for an outdated ideal, perhaps it is also a good thing... perhaps it is good that they rebel. The king must send a message to the whole kingdom, showing all potential traitors what happens with those who defy the laws passed by the crown."

Last edited by Saeros on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed "do" to "do not".)
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:41 pm

Zekic was smiling.Then he started claping.

"Wow, you silvermist aren't as peace loving as i tought. Show an example! what a strong words silvermist, let everyone be afraid of great king!"

Then zekic's face suddenly turned serious

"Why not we just accuse Ravenstern of separatistic tought's , like you'r comrade accused Sir Mastifus at this very meeting earlier on, and invade them once more? i mean we need to show an example after all eh?"

"You silvermist should have let Iskar to speak, he is better at hiding his intentions, "let's give them food and money, and make them love us" sounds better then "let's kill strongest one's and make them fear us". Kingdom is still rather new, and one rebellion may couse chain reaction, and other rebellions may follow. As far as i noticed our king want's to be just and peacfull, you can't control whole kingdom with fear, forever. Of course you can not be to soft against traitors, but there are limits for everything."
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:48 pm

"We did not accuse him of anything. These are your words. Besides, all Silvermist rangers are allowed to develop their own opinions - unlike other orders.

And, no, there are no limits to traitors. Laws must be respected."
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:53 pm

Zekic made and not understanding expression on his face.

"First you say we, when i clearly pointed it was only iskar who accused, so you stand that his oppinion,is the oppinion of you'r order, and yet you talk about separate oppinions. Talking about accusation, well meybe it wasn't it, it was a threat after all, sorry for misunderstanding"

Zekic sayed sarcasticly.

"For those who indeed are a traitors heavy punishment must follow, but for those who didin't betray anything.. Provoking them to betray isin't wise.Laws must be respected in did, so must be common folk, northern are yet to break and laws, and you allready so eager to disrespect and punish them by separating."

Last edited by zekic on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Iskar frowned at the Gauntlet knight. The man was getting insolent as well as a nuisance.

Before you go on with your fairy tales of the fiercely united, honourable beyond measure and ever ready to to fight northerners, please do tell us what exactly you would then do with the north? Leave it as it is while we change all the other provinces? Encourage the seed of treason and separatism by showing fear of a potential armed rebellion of some nobles? For it would be nobles only that would rise in case of such a rebellion. I was born a peasant myself and peasants care for bread, the next harvest, how to pay their taxes and whether they will survive the next winter, not for borders, provinces or dissolved kingdoms. For the smallfolk almost nothing will change, only for the nobles and I should think the order of the Dragon would be well able to deal with some upstart nobles defying the crown.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:01 am

"Seed of treason would be encouraged by separating north. Peasants trust they'r lords, Learning they were replaced for no appearent reason will enrage them.You are showing fear by distrusting and separating north, not by keeping them together.

You are mostly right about peasants tough, silvermist, they care for they'r own good mostly, and right now under wise rule of our king, and they'r dukes life is good for them, peasants won't rebel without reason, if we keep provinces of Ravenstern as they are, peasants will be happy, and won't support any revolving lords, and as you sayed, Dragons can deal with rebellous nobility. "
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am

Marcus leaned forwards on the table, cold eyes directing their gaze at Zekic.

"Sir Gauntlet, I strongly suggest that you listen to sense when it is spoken to you. For one thing, peasants do not simply take up arms and assault the nearest castle - for one thing, they'd need leaders for that. Leaders, such as adventurers or knights. Peasant folk do not leave their crops to die, all the things that they own behind, because their ruler has been changed. That is not what you call 'stubborn'. Stubborn refuses to give up - those peasants already have given up. They do not fight Pendor. They accept it, and if they do not outright welcome our King it doesn't mean that they are rebellious. You trust too much hearsay and too few facts. In order to find out the truth, however, you must trust what is proven and not what you have heard."

He raised a half-questioning, half-ironic eyebrow as though he pondered whether to take him seriously or not.

"Even lords are humans; why wouldn't a lord lie - or even alter the truth - to remain in his position? It is part of human nature, after all, and some others do not control it as well as we can. Some are even worse than Zekic here, who so bravely spoke for the North. It's unfortunate that his words were not as effective as he apparently hoped for."

Leaning back on his seat, he scanned the other knights from beneath his brows.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 am

Iskar acknowledged Marcus's verbal support with a thankful smile, then turned to Zekic again.

You had better listen more closely before you start another rant, Sir knight, he said. I did not say anything about removing or replacing any lord. I even suggested that Duke Alexis be kept as governor of Wintersea just as he governed the north since the siege of the city of Ravenstern. I daresay most peasants do not even know which of the dukes holds the title of governor. This administrative issue will mean few if not nothing to the peasants and merchants.
Back to top Go down
tobberman
Knight
tobberman

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:28 am

Johan stood up

"Rebellious or not, I think we should include the peasants to politics. Keep Ravenstern intact, as Gauntlet here insisted, create four duchies, one for each town. Then these duchies will stay with the lords who rule them. But people vote who rules the province maybe for 5 years, then have a another election. To prevent dictatorship and voting only one person terms should be limited to 2 and someone else must be voted in the next election. After different lords term has ended you can again vote all candidates. I know this sounds radical, but something has to be done. This way peasants know who are the lords that rule and tax them."

Johan looked around and sat down and took his pipe. While stuffing his pipe he waited response.
Back to top Go down
Zekic Thunion of Laria
Knight
Zekic Thunion of Laria

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 am

Zekic's face turned red, he was about to shout, this knight has disrespected him heavely but then he sighted over a silvermists, no he if he speaks angerly his arguments will be not taken seriuosly.

And then another legioneree spoke..

"You got a good point here, legioneree, peasants must know what happening. You'r grandmaster here is right, some lord's could spread lies, and if they all are united by one great couse they could move whole north to rebellion. We first need to earn trust of peasant's, and when that is done, separate rebellous lords would be something, dragons can easely take care of.
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:44 am

"Rotative rule over the provinces? That's genius!", Saeros was clearly enthusiastic.

"I agree - within measure. While rotative administrations lack the efficiency of a continued rule, in some cases, such as this one, it might actually work really well. Why not put Duke Aldemar and Duke Alamar on rotative 2-year positions as provincial governors? Both seem to like each other already, and I am sure both will work in harmony for the good of the people."
Back to top Go down
Isabel Tenorio
Knight
Isabel Tenorio

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:57 am

Isabel had been staring at the map, and ignored most of the comments. With the idea of elections, she sat up.

"Let me make this clear now. There will be no decision by the ruled on their rulers. I humbly suggest this idea be abandoned without further discussion." Her accent wasn't thick, and her words seemed cold.
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 12:59 am

"Interchanging rule will only work if they work together. What if one spites the other, untills the tilled ground of the other. I firm hand must rule, not a wavering one. Either give them to much power that they squabble for it or so little that the position is meaningless."
Back to top Go down
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 am

"Elections are already out of question.

I propose with follow part of Johanns' suggestion and establish rotative rule in the province in question. In this manner we will be able to please both parties. Sir Mastifus, would you agree with such proposal?"
Back to top Go down
Slopsen
Knight
Slopsen

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:04 am

Merzinas piped up at bieng ignored by the increasingly arrogant halbadier.

"Such an action will cause nothing to happen in that land or even ruin! Unless in the greatest of miracles the lords you elect work together."
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:12 am

Iskar was happy the insolent Gauntlet had been keeping his mouth shut for a short period of time. 'You always meet twice' he thought to himself, but refrained from smiling.

When the notion of elections was brought up, however, he frowned even more and shook his head. Finally, after Saeros had spoken his mind, he said:

I fully agree with Lady Tenorio here. The great mass of the smallfolk is neither learned enough to nor trained to rule and those that show appropriate qualities easily enough rise to the ranks of court officials. Overthrowing our feudal system is perhaps even closer to treason than suggesting an uprising in the north was. Who would stop people from demanding to elect the king, too? We must abandon these thoughts now before I am forced to order ourselves to be all arrested for high treason.

As for rotational governorship, I highly doubt it could work. A noble takes all incursions in his authority as a slight and detrimental to his honour. Rotational governorship would cause regular slights for all of the nobles involved. Rather give one the title of governor and the other one another title with some particular tasks and assets, like Warden of the Steppes or Protector of the Coast, that entitle them to bigger levies but make extended defense of said lands their prevalent duty. This way you can honour the lords while benefitting the realm at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 1:15 am

"Then perhaps we should give them a reason to cooperate with eachother. Give them a lot of work, and they don't have time to squabble. Perhaps we should set them strict goals, if you insist on mistrusting them, as to prevent such internal struggle. Eradicate the Mystmountainers and secure the whole province, for example? With the Court's appointed Inquisitors looking over their task?", Marcus said with a half-amused smirk.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 am

Mastifus remained silent during the continuing discussion, his eye fixated on the area of Ravenstern shown on the map. When the voices fell silent once more, he rose again from his seat. None of his former anger was present, and his shoulders were slumped.

"Let me remind ye who think we are nae loyal to King Mordred, that I stood in the throne room and gave him the Dragontooth from my own hand, swearing fealty tae him. We gave the King, a southern noble the most treasured item in the entire province, as a sign of our trust in him!" he began quietly, eyes not leaving the table.

"Let me remind ye, who it was that repelled the usurper queen for weeks. Let me remind ye who besieged their own bloody provincial capital in the name of that same King!" he continued, voice rising. He now looked up and scanned all those seated at the table with his good eye.

"I tell ye to say it to the dead men who fell at the walls of Ravenstern, that they're traitors!" he finished, thumping the table with a fist and rattling all the dishes and scrolls on its top.

"Ye nay ken the people of Ravenstern do ye?" he queried, voice dropping once more.

"Do ye remember the siege of Rane?" he enquired, shaking his head "It was before ye time, before mine and i'll bet ye have nae thought of it. For every man, woman an child of Ravenstern blood, it is repeated time and time again. Over dinner, we talk aboot Rane, and the men and women who died there. We talk aboot it, because we must never let it be forgotten. When we needed the southern nobles most, where were they? When the lives of our people hung on a knifes edge, where were they?" he enquired, his voice growing fiercer.

"Now, when we're finally at peace. The kingdom unified under a just and proper king, ye sit here and plan how tae split us up? What bloody right do ye have? Now that the riches of our mountains, and the aching backs of our people are free to be used, ye charge in like rabid dogs and divide the spoils. This is how my people will think of yer schemes here!" he declared, now looking up at each man and woman in time, his eye fiercely blazing with the words.

"If you bloody well tear Ravenstern apart, yer asking fer one thing!" he proclaimed, reaching into his boot and slamming the dagger hidden within onto the map, blade digging deeply into the table. The knife point, stuck quivering right where Ravenstern was marked.

"War!"

He then sat again, arms folded looking dejected once again.

"And this time, even the Dragon's will nae be able to stop it."
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Saeros
Voice of the Nobility
Saeros

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 EmptyFri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 am

Saeros pretended not to acklowedge the blatant disregard for the safety rules for the meeting. No weapons were allowed, but Sir Mastifus' speech was much more important than that.

"I have only one question to ask: if this is as you speak, and if we decide to leave Ravenstern as it is, how can you guarantee that these lords will not turn their spears against the crown at the slightest "offense" in the future? "

"The partition is intended precisely to counter this kind of thinking. Now, let us assume that we keep Ravenstern as it is. All other provinces will be renamed, their borders altered, and the traces of their former kings will be erased - but Ravenstern, and *only* Ravenstern, will remain exactly the same. What message does this convey to the rest of the kingdom? Well, it says that the king cannot touch Ravenstern. It says either that the king is afraid of Ravenstern, or that he gives more importance to the old Ravenstern culture than to the Pendorian one. The problem is that if Ravenstern can do as it likes, perhaps we will soon see the Southeastern provinces and lords doing as they like too. And then the old D'Shar, with their two free cities. There is no good ending to this."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)   IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event) - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

IC Scene: The Council Chamber (Provinces / Free City Event)
Page 12 of 21Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next