Prophesy of Pendor : Aftermath
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An RPG detailing the aftermath of the events of PoP3 and the events before PoP4

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

OOC Thread: For This Mission

Go down 
+8
Aldric of Marleons
MitchyMatt
Rec0n412
Azlanek
Marcus the Shadow Fighter
Iskar
Curanthir
mp84
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
mp84
Royal Chronicler

OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Everyone,

If you happen to read MithyMatt's Post (if you didn't you can't now as it was removed), please ignore that for now, as there was some clear mis-communication going on between the gamemasters, and it will be remedy by tomorrow morning, so just wait for DD's post as the sign to begin RPing again here.

thanks,

MP
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Extended discussion? I am really curious how that will turn out *g*.

Regarding our situation: So we can't be sure about reinforcements. We can't rely on oiled ground to contain the enemy. I don't really see a lot of options here. But I would suggest our Cavalry falls back and then charges on its own, tyring to crash into the enemy at a position where we want to hold them. The 100 Eventide auxiliaries should charge as well, what little good it may do us.

Of course we will not decide on anything before the next official post, but I would like to know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 8:33 pm

Well, depending on how well the Veccavi are contained by the fire in front of the main phalanx, the legion could send a part of their troops north to mash the charging veccavi riders between them and your cavalry...

Our rangers will concentrate their fire on the attacking footmen I think. Together with the fire and the catapults it should bring their assault to a stop.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 pm

There's 50 mounted Shadow Legion knights too.
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:34 pm

25, not 50.
Back to top Go down
http://zatobo.com/
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:41 pm

You mean the Centurions?

But the Legion can bring horses with them, and mount some men on them?
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 11:43 pm

True, but be aware that your legionnaires are trained to fight on foot, not mounted.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:03 am

Yes, i thought that they would rather serve as the fodder in front of the centurions, to rather deal an impact of force than to fight effectively. You see, when either their horses fall on top of he enemy front line or the horses run down several men, the Centurions can then charge in the disrupted formation to have short work of the enemy.

Of course, it is almost a suicide to be one of those 25 mounted retainers/legionaries, so surviving is a promotion for them..
Back to top Go down
Mordred
Dragon of the North
Mordred

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:11 am

I can agree to that. Nice idea.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 12:57 am

How many men with spears, halberds and pikes are there among the northern auxiliaries? they could form a wall of pikes to impale the Veccavi cavalry.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 1:07 am

The auxiliaries are all armed with spears, as they are fairely cheap, and battered board shields, maybe clubs and other improvised weapons as sidearms. I doubt though, that they would be able to fend of an attack of 400 Veccavi. Plus they would have to switch positions with our Cavalry first. I don't know if we would have enough time for that.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 1:11 am

Hmm, they could attack the flank of the Veccavi cavalry. Even though they are not highly trained, they will prove relatively effective against the Veccavi cavalry (Veccavi knights only wear chainmail with surcoats, that is quite mediocre armour). Just think of the battles in "Medieval 2: Total War". A band of mere militia men armed with spears could route a battalion of knights.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 1:18 am

Thought about that too, but we would have to hold them on ground past the canyon to provide the infantry with a flank to attack. I fear the Veccavi then simply move south with a portion of their troops and use the space we gave them to outmanoeuvre and surround us.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 1:38 am

Perhaps we can lock them in the woods or high ground, and then move the auxilia to cut off their escape, WHILST shadow legion knights and eventide knights charge them.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 5:27 am

Question to DiabloDude: What is the estimated time for the Veccavi to reach the Eventide's position? And assuming the auxiliaries in the north as well as the Shadow Legion's infantry would move to block the northern route, how much time would they need to deploy themselves properly?

Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 5:40 am

I'd say you have about a minute and a half before the first four hundred cavalry hit you.

So, not long. Probably not long enough to get many troops into position, though if they sprint you might get a few tired out ones there in time.
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:06 am

My post is worth two eventide posts i guess.
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:18 am

Frankly, I am confused again.

DiabloDude wrote:
I'd say you have about a minute and a half before the first four hundred cavalry hit you.

So, not long. Probably not long enough to get many troops into position, though if they sprint you might get a few tired out ones there in time.

Marcus the Shadow Fighter wrote:
Marcus realized the situation quickly. The last glimpse he saw was the Veccavi moving north. Through the smoke, nothing could be seen anymore, and he quickly ordered his men to move to the high ground, intercepting the Veccavi.

Soon, both forces were on positions. Veccavi on the beginning of the cliffs, Legion on top of them, still unseen through the smoke.

How does that fit together? Also, how would the firewall before the former position of the Legion hide them when they are on top of the cliff?
Back to top Go down
Grandmaster

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 6:29 am

The smoke rising from it. Not the firewall.

It would also make both sides's eyes to dry out, thus making trying to see something very painful and hard.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:00 am

Which of the two catapults was destroyed?

You do not tell us anything about the casualties inflicted by our continuous rain of arrows. How high are they?

What were the total casualties inflicted by both the catapults?

Are there flames in front of the southern auxiliaries, too, or is this way free?

EDIT: I doubt the Legion would have been fast enough to reach the northern cliffs before the Veccavi. Rather the phalanx would crush into the left flank of the Veccavi cavalry, which seems helpful to me, too.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 11:23 am

Iskar wrote:
Which of the two catapults was destroyed?

You do not tell us anything about the casualties inflicted by our continuous rain of arrows. How high are they?

What were the total casualties inflicted by both the catapults?

Are there flames in front of the southern auxiliaries, too, or is this way free?

EDIT: I doubt the Legion would have been fast enough to reach the northern cliffs before the Veccavi. Rather the phalanx would crush into the left flank of the Veccavian cavalry, which seems helpful to me, too.

- I was under the impression that there was one catapult. If there are two, it can be assumed that something similar happens to the other after one or two more shots, due to their makeshift nature and quick assembly.

Unless you want to go down the cliff and count bodies, you don't know. It isn't none, but at the same time, it hasn't been enough yet to significantly impact the Veccavian force.

See above. Only less casualties.

My understanding now is that there's two groups of auxiliaries, yes? One beside the main force of legionaries, and one guarding the Silvermists on the north cliff? The one by the main army has flames in front of it.

And yes, the legion is not fast enough to get into position before the charge hits. They may be able to reach the horsemen in time to do some damage, but by then fighting will have already been going on long enough for casualties to start mounting.

- And I must say I am also confused by Marcus's post... Unless they moved to the southern cliff to defend those Silvermists, the legion would have to march around (Or through!) the fire wall (Which is indeed creating smoke) swing around the force of fighting Eventide and mounted Legion troops, and then walk uphill to be on the northern cliff.

The legion is positioned on a road on the low ground, if I remember right, and according to the maps.

EDIT: Hey, should I just draw up a map of my understanding of what the battlefield looks like, and then we can sort things out from there?
Back to top Go down
Azlanek
Grandmaster
Azlanek

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 7:48 pm

[quote="DiabloDude"]
Iskar wrote:
EDIT: Hey, should I just draw up a map of my understanding of what the battlefield looks like, and then we can sort things out from there?

I think that would be great.

And yes, there always were two group of auxiliaries. At the beginning each group blocked the way up to both the northern and the southern cliffs. The northern ones now move to fill the gap left by the charging Eventide. The southern move to the firewall. But Iskars Question is valid. Does the firewall completely block the path in the south? I was under the impression since all of the Veccavi were moving north "to escape the trap'', this path being the only one left.
Back to top Go down
Iskar
Peasant turned Lord
Iskar

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 9:24 pm

To illustrate my last post in the main thread:

OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 Escaperuse

Mitchell had my scout commander Cairngrove discover the hidden passageway earlier on.
Back to top Go down
Curanthir
Grandmaster
Curanthir

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 2:21 am

I won't have much time today, but I'll try to make a few posts later. If you have to RP as me, do it diablodude just to end it, as long as most of my rangers survive.
Back to top Go down
DiabloDude
Voice of the Nobility
DiabloDude

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 4:15 am

Okay, I haven't read any posts since my last post, yet. But from the end of my last post, this is what the battlefield looks like to me:

OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 Battle10

The Red is the fire (Not shown is the smaller fires caused by the catapults.)

The orange are the Shadow Legion's main body of troops.

The Black is the mounted Shadow Legion force.

The light brown are the Auxiliaries for the Eventide.

The darker brown is the Eventide Knights

Yellow represents the Silvermists.

Maroon represents the Veccavian horse

Red represents the foot knights, squires, and royal archers of the Veccavian forces.

Blue represents the Krom and Kral, regrouping and changing the direction of their charge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OOC Thread: For This Mission   OOC Thread: For This Mission - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

OOC Thread: For This Mission
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next